Case or Naked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiracer8148, Jun 7, 2011.

1. skiracer8148 macrumors member

ive never had a case on my unibody mbp before, im debating a incase hard shell. but not sure if i would wanna cover up such a sexy notebook, ive been without a case since new and havnt really gotten any scratches so far just looking for some oppinions.

2. KwanMan macrumors regular

get a transparent one

3. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Without

I am currently using my 2010 MBP and MBA without cases and both are virtually scratch-free. I picked up a couple scratches on the MBP, barely discernible, when I replaced the RAM and HD on the bottom case but otherwise perfect condition.

I am careful with my computers, and they are always transported in a WF sleeve, so you should be fine either way just using a little care, regardless.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

The came into this world naked. They deserve to live free.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

I baby my computer, but (to make a long story short) my clear plastic case just saved me from a heart attack and a gash in the lid. The case is barely noticeable, it paid for itself the other day when it saved my lid, and (in my opinion) actually makes the computer look even better.

In informal tests, I found no significant difference in temperatures with or without the case. But, I do not push the computer as much as others (just work---usually no games, videos playing the background, etc.). If you regularly work for long periods at peak performance, I imagine you will run hotter, and you might want to consider running naked to maximize heat dissipation from the unibody.

6. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Looks like you have taken good care of it. Leave it naked and enjoy the sexiness :D

7. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

+1

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

generally you don't need any sort of case or keyboard protector or anything like that unless you can't take care of your stuff. mainly just a bag if you need to carry it around along with your other belongings.

9. asdad123 macrumors regular

I always use a case for expensive electronics. The Speck Seethru cases are great.

I got a satin one for my GFs 2010 Unibody Macbook and a regular red seethru for my moms 15" MBP and I highly recommend them.

10. k4show macrumors member

I am going to be using the iCarbons full body set for my MBP once it comes in the mail.

11. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I avoid shell cases because they ruin the thermals of the MacBook Pro. Generally speaking, plastic doesn't conduct heat as well as any metal would.

I instead recommend slip covers because they protect your Mac during the critical time of transport from one place to the next. When in use, I figure you protect your Mac better than any case would.

And if you are bold enough to drink near your Mac, cover the keyboard.

12. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

...a sexy see-through case. So you can see her fine curves. Oh wait...um yeah.

13. swimminupstream macrumors newbie

Mba

I just got a new MBA and ended up with a small scratch on back. I ordered an icarbons and absolutely love it!! Was super easy to install and now I wont have to worry about scratches. I also have them for my iphone and ipad....great product.:)

14. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

15. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

I would be concerned about thermals too

16. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Dust and other particles get trapped underneath the InCase hard shell.
    It does add weight.
    The side can get in the way of the MagSafe.

17. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

lol ...there you go!

18. Azadre macrumors 6502

My problem with this argument is that I do not think that unibody design with or without a shell is that great at dissipating the heat.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

I disagree.

In my tests (albeit informal, only with my computer, and with my daily use) I saw no difference between having the case on or off. I posted the results somewhere in this forum a while back.

And, I think the unibody does a fine job of keeping cool. It seems to be running well-within normal parameters and my fan rarely moves beyond idle speed. A cooler computer would, of course, be nice, but cramming all of these high tech components into a tiny area and forcing the computer to perform demanding tasks is going to generate heat. There is no getting around it. As long as it is not excessive, I see no problem.

I can't speak for the case the OP is considering, but I have an Elecom one and it doesn't block any ports. Obviously, it adds weight, but it is negligible (I cannot tell the difference having it on or off).

As for dust, it definitely does collect in there, and I tend to clean it every weak or so. It is not a huge amount, but enough to bug me.

No matter how careful you are, Mayhem is out there, and this tiny investment has already protected me from damage, so I highly recommend it.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Don't hide the beauty of the machine! Buy a neoprene case to use only when you travel with it. But other than that, naked is the way to go!

21. kppolich macrumors 6502

kppolich

22. crispy12 macrumors member

There've been quite a few reports of dust and particles getting trapped under the speck cases, causing massive scratching to the bottom of the case. Similar thing happened with the hard slip-on iPhone cases. If you go this route make sure you clean the inside of the case of debris regularly...

I use a neoprene case and silicon keyboard protector most of the time, I take out the KB protector when I'm doing a long write up or typing in the dark. I found a keyboard protector with black key overlays; the completely transparent ones tend to look rather ugly, mine is barely visible unless you look closely/touch.

23. skiracer8148 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the input, i currently have a neoprene sleeve i use for transport i will stick with that for now

24. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

The other thing I've noticed is that hard cases, like the Speck, add weight and stress the hinge--a machine that has had a Speck on it for a year or more will frequently have a looser hinge than one that has not had a hard shell.

Plus, with a Speck or similar, they don't fit into an InCase neoprene sleeve for travel.

25. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I personally haven't had any of the above mentioned issues with my Incase.

Though it doesn't really stay on that great, for what it's worth.