Case or no case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warranty Voider, May 12, 2009.

?

Case or no case?

1. Case: always on, even when the laptop is in use.

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. No case

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. Keyboard cover

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Sleeve: only for when the computer is not in use.

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  5. Screen protector

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Other

13 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Do you use a case on your MBP? A keyboard cover? A full hard cover case? Vote for what you use in the pole. I'm curious to see what people use.

Personally, I don't use any case except for a small neoprene sleeve to carry my MBP around in. Apple designed their products the way they want them to look and feel. IMO, using a case that is always on the product inhibits the product's natural feel. For example, I like the way the iPhone feels in my hands, but with a case on, it just feels awkward.

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I just ordered a case for my UMBP just because I want to keep it as nice as possible but I probably will just leave it off for the most part because like you said Apple products have a certain feel to them.

Tried a few cases for my iPhone and hated them, couldn't stand it the feel of it with a crappy plastic case/sleeve. In the end I settled with a hip holster and I've been happy ever since.

3. yegon macrumors 68020

Caseless. Use a nice Brenthaven laptop bag for trasnport purposes.

Seriously, the idea of ruining the clean lines of my MBP with a case....urgh. Same goes for my iPhone, although I have got an Invisible Shield on the back of that, mainly for gripping purposes.

4. Dexter v House macrumors member

Apple say not to cover the keypad area while the machine is in use, for keeping the vents clear. It's in the handbook. Do these keyboard covers offer any kind of ventilation?

I'm no expert but does the same apply to the body - except for conduction purposes? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Riverbird macrumors member

I don't have any case on my UMBP and I don't really want one. Mainly because I don't want to spend the money and if I get a scratch on it... well, I get a scratch on it. It will just show that it isn't brand new and it is defenintly a machine that is used!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a carrying case for when I travel, and perhaps the majority of people do. While not traveling, I have my MBP naked, I use the case for protection at the airport and ease of carrying it around. Lot better to have it in a protective case at the airport/airplane then walking around with it naked.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, I hope you've got a gym membership.

8. magamo macrumors 6502

No case while in use. A sleeve for when carrying it around. I bought MBP partly because I like the design, and I don't want to ruin the sleek look.

9. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

I love having an incase for my MBP.

People keep asking me where they can get a black-coloured macbook pro!

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Caseless, I only use an apple sac when moving my laptop.

11. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mine gets transported in a laptop casing, and the mbp is inclosed in a tech shell and a iskin to prevent skin oils and other crap destroying my keyboard. Same applies for my macbook

12. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Applesac for transport. Naked the rest of the time. Maybe some Zymol in it's future, don't know yet.

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Naked - just like the way Apple designed it.

Putting those covers on reminds me of the plastic slipcovers people used to put on their sofas and chairs so they wouldn't get dirty - tacky tacky :eek:

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I've got a number of cases for transport ranging from a hardshell to waterproof, crushproof, dustproof, etc. They are strictly for transport.

AppleCorps, I'm right there with you. I never understood the people who buy protective cases to keep their stuff from getting banged up when the cure is worse than the disease. Why make everything uglier for the entire time you are using it because you're afraid of getting a few dings? That you probably won't even notice. Never made sense to me.

15. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Just a laptop bag when it leaves the house. I do have an invisible shield for my ipod though..........

16. midanekMBP macrumors newbie

Clear Speck

I'm usually not one to buy the extras but the clear speck has been a great addition. I see how scratched up the case has gotten and I'm glad that I spent the extra cash. It's worth it to keep your machine clean.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

InvisibleShield. Adds grip, scratch protection, zero bulk.

Ha!

18. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Here's my question to you. Which do you think is more resilient, the plastic case or the metal body of your MBP?

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I can tell you that the aluminum on the MBP is more resistant. The plastic that cases use gets hairline scratches fairly easily.

20. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

My point entirely. You can't point to all the scratches on your plastic case and presume that this is the same amount of damage the aluminium would have taken because the aluminium is much more resistant to cosmetic damage in the first place.

21. midanekMBP macrumors newbie

Look even if the aluminum case is stronger then the plastic why would I want any scratches at all? It adds no bulk and it's clear so if I ever go sell my machine I ditch the clear plastic and it's just like it was when I took it out of the box.

22. Warranty Voider thread starter macrumors 6502

While I see how some people would like the InvisibleShield, it still changes the feel of the MBP. It adds a glossy layer on top of everything that makes it look plasticky. I prefer to look at the small number of dents and scratches on my MBP as war scars. It's sort of like an ID card. I will always know which one is my MBP just by looking at it. I never sell my old computers, but if I did I might rethink using a case.

23. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Hey, if it works for you, then don't let me change your mind.

I am a design minimalist. I like clean, unfettered design. Apple takes it too far with things like the Mighty Mouse, but hey, we all have our comfort zones.

A minor scratch or two is no big deal IMO. The alternative is a glossy cover that makes it looks plastic-y or a plastic case that changes the lines and adds to the bulk. It's like the guy who goes out and buys a Ferrari and then proceeds to slap a big black bra on the front.

For transport, I have/have had the Rhinoskin Hardcase (ABS and Al versions), the MacTruck, a Pelican 1090CC, and a Matias Laptop Armor. If I wanted bulky, ugly hardware, I could have just bought a ToughBook and slapped OSx86 on it.

24. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Great! Another person that thinks "character" is great. I too think the same, it's like a pair of shoes, a wallet or anything that gets normal wear and tear. My 15" uMBP has no case except for a neoprene case that I use to travel with, it has a handle as well as a strap to sling it around my back.

I do take pretty good care of my property but if it ever gets an accidental scratch I don't think I would be too mad at myself. If I dropped it that would be another story.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Moshi Palmguard and nothing more. I find that when I used to have a body skin like the invisibleSHIELD, I would get careless; now I realized don't really care that much, so I've removed it only kept the palm area protector~I do wear a watch.