Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I'm looking for a relatively cheap keyboard case for my air 2, anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Devicewear inadvertently shipped me the black case, while also canceling my order and refunding my money. Being an honest guy, I let them know this, and told them to shoot me an RMA label if they wanted it back. They apologized for the mixup, and told me to keep it.

Class move. :cool:

Mojer

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Devicewear inadvertently shipped me the black case, while also canceling my order and refunding my money. Being an honest guy, I let them know this, and told them to shoot me an RMA label if they wanted it back. They apologized for the mixup, and told me to keep it.

Class move. :cool:

Nice.....I am considering The Ridge. If this is the case you are referring to, what are your impressions? I am looking for something that adds very little bulk to my IPad Air 2. Thanks in advance.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Nice.....I am considering The Ridge. If this is the case you are referring to, what are your impressions? I am looking for something that adds very little bulk to my IPad Air 2. Thanks in advance.

I haven't opened the package yet: if Devicewear wanted it back, I was going to return it. I'm using the KAVAJ Berlin, which you can see pics of a few posts back.

Mojer

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
I haven't opened the package yet: if Devicewear wanted it back, I was going to return it. I'm using the KAVAJ Berlin, which you can see pics of a few posts back.

Ok....thanks. If you open it I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Ok....thanks. If you open it I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Here are some pics. I have to be honest with ya, I think the KAVAJ is going back. It's nice, smells good, well constructed, etc... but it just isn't as foolproof from a stability standpoint, not does it have as many positioning options as the Devicewear unit. And as you can see from the side by side pic, there is no difference in thickness. Very nice unit, and I guess the black is okay. Devicewear is supposed to be shipping all colors, as of today, so check 'em out! Good luck!

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/jmdaniel/library/Mobile%20Uploads/Devicewear%20Ridge

Mojer

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Here are some pics. I have to be honest with ya, I think the KAVAJ is going back. It's nice, smells good, well constructed, etc... but it just isn't as foolproof from a stability standpoint, not does it have as many positioning options as the Devicewear unit. And as you can see from the side by side pic, there is no difference in thickness. Very nice unit, and I guess the black is okay. Devicewear is supposed to be shipping all colors, as of today, so check 'em out! Good luck!

http://s1259.photobucket.com/user/jmdaniel/library/Mobile%20Uploads/Devicewear%20Ridge

Thanks for the pics. Doesn't look like this case adds much bulk at all while providing a decent amount of protection. Thanks again!

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012

I've read somewhere that the Kavaj needs to be used in order to get the stand function to work probably due to the leather stiffness when being new. The Devicewear isn't nearly as elegant as the Kavaj, but if you really need those viewing angles in the stand position then I guess you're better of with the Devicewear

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
I've read somewhere that the Kavaj needs to be used in order to get the stand function to work probably due to the leather stiffness when being new. The Devicewear isn't nearly as elegant as the Kavaj, but if you really need those viewing angles in the stand position then I guess you're better of with the Devicewear

Yeah, not really too much of a knock on the KAVAJ, but it does need to be worked in, and when it is in position, it's pretty vertical, and can only be in one spot. I'll probably keep both; I had my iPad 2 for over three years, and went through a few Switcheasy Canvas cases, due to bubbling, so it's never bad to have a spare.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I bought this case and I like it:
Apple iPad Air 2 Case - Poetic Apple iPad Air 2 Case [GraphGrip Series] - Protective Silicone Skin Case for Apple iPad Air 2 (2014) Black (3-Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NY66J66/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_20Oyub1AVN1BN
4921bcf3725fd377a661116b52931b40.jpg
86381198be4ee2dfbad1779b2d8ee973.jpg
462704050d133ffb6cdd9608e11f564c.jpg
e41136d1c90434e61ff5ef08a729bf74.jpg
b7fccf72e6bb73f8577bf56dd8ebfb29.jpg

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I still can't get over how thin and light the Apple Smart Case is.

I've ended up using the Smart Cover while around the house and then switching to the Smart Case when I take my iPad with me to work or out of the house.

wooger

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I ordered the red one through Amazon, received a shipping notice on 10/31, with a delivery date on NLT 11/7. Was notified on 11/4 that they weren't getting the red and blue versions from the manufacturer until 11/11, but if I wanted the black, they could ship that right away. Well, if I wanted the black, I would have ordered the black...

I told them I would stick with the red, if they could guarantee I received it NLT 11/13, as I am leaving on vaykay 11/14. If they couldn't, I would take the black, but wanted it NLT 11/7, which was when they originally promised the red. That seemed fair. And I asked them why I received a shipped notice on 10/31, if they didn't have anything to ship?

The response was that the shipping notice went out when they printed a label, and that they could get me the black case by 11/13. Evidently, no one knows how to read at Devicewear... I told them if they were shipping black, it needed to be here tomorrow, and they replied by saying they would not do that, but would cancel the order. I told them cool, and that they probably shouldn't print shipping labels for orders they couldn't fill.

I'll be waiting for this one to be available:

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-ipad-cases/ipad-air-2-cases/stylefolio-for-ipad-air-2.html

Gah, I kept my pre-order (via Amazon) for the blue despite the delay, but was told they'd go out on 11th. I've still not had a shipping status update since that false alarm on the 4th, and UPS says the same.

Losing faith a little bit now, though I guess it could still randomly turn up any time, based on the accuracy of tracking I've previously seen.

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Gah, I kept my pre-order (via Amazon) for the blue despite the delay, but was told they'd go out on 11th. I've still not had a shipping status update since that false alarm on the 4th, and UPS says the same.

Losing faith a little bit now, though I guess it could still randomly turn up any time, based on the accuracy of tracking I've previously seen.

Well, they sent mine via USPS, and their tracking system, although improved recently, is a bit behind those of UPS and FedEx, IMO. Keep the faith, you're going to like the case!

I returned my KAVAJ yesterday, and Amazon issued the credit about 2 hours later, without even receiving the unit back. Pretty cool.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii

Update, for those of us looking for a black rubber back shell that is compatible with the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover, I've found the answer.

Ge the KHOMO case from Amazon, cut the cover off with a box cutter and that's that. No glue residue to worry about, the divot is filled with the soft grey material which is a bonus too.

Note that the black rubber back is the perfect match for the black iPad Air Smart Cover for the first iPad Air, the current black Smart Cover is grey. So if you want an all-black slim and sleek protective case for your iPad Air 2 and have the luxury of a removable magnetic cover, there you go.

BJ

Do you (or anyone) know if a screen protector like Tech armor ballistic will work with that combo? Thanks.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Do you (or anyone) know if a screen protector like Tech armor ballistic will work with that combo? Thanks.

Why wouldn't it? I don't think screen protectors go far enough to the edge of the glass to interfere with the case attachment.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006

Update, for those of us looking for a black rubber back shell that is compatible with the iPad Air 2 Smart Cover, I've found the answer.

Ge the KHOMO case from Amazon, cut the cover off with a box cutter and that's that. No glue residue to worry about, the divot is filled with the soft grey material which is a bonus too.

Note that the black rubber back is the perfect match for the black iPad Air Smart Cover for the first iPad Air, the current black Smart Cover is grey. So if you want an all-black slim and sleek protective case for your iPad Air 2 and have the luxury of a removable magnetic cover, there you go.

BJ

Is this the case you used for your mod? iPad Air 2 Case (iPad 6) - KHOMO DUAL Super Slim Black Cover with Rubberized back and Smart Feature (Built-in magnet for sleep / wake feature) For Apple iPad Air 2 Tablet

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.