Cases which Support Smart Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Josh Kahane, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Josh Kahane macrumors 6502

Hey

I have an iPad with a Smart Cover and preferably need something to protect the back.

If you could point me to some good sleeves, bags and just any case which will cover the back and let me keep my smart cover in use I would appreciate it, thanks. I don't need the back covered at all times, just at least while its being transported about in my bag for example which is why Im ok with sleeves. Price isn't an issue either so more premium options are cool.

Thanks.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

3. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I was originally leaning towards a "screen protector", but am now thinking of some like a case. The Incipio Smart Feather looked cool but I haven't heard anything great about it. The Switcheasy CoverBuddy seems like a great option as you can still take the Smart Cover off and it is thin. Only problem is that they do not have one for the new iPad.

4. veereihen6 macrumors member

My Incipio Smart Feather is out for delivery today, should have it in a few hours, I'll try to post some pics later.

5. FMJPhoto.com macrumors member

FMJPhoto.com

In the same boat, can't wait to see other options.

6. JonLDavis macrumors newbie

Do you guys prefer your smart cover secured to the back cover or prefer it to not be secured?

What is the advantage of both?

7. mis204 macrumors member

I personally would love to have a magnet on the back of a case to hold the smart cover in place when opened. However, I prefer the security of the incipio smart feather holding the smart cover on the iPad at all times rather than a magnet holding it open. I'm going to try adding magnetic tape/small magnets to my smart feather for the best of both worlds

8. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Please do.

I saw a case (on this forum somewhere) where there is a magnet attached.
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=598150#

But does it secure it like the smart feather supposedly does?

9. rwings01 macrumors regular

I have that case, it's the iPad 2 version and it doesn't have the secure mechanism to lock the smart cover.

10. Josh Kahane thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, seems a few options are popping up, but Im cautious about cases like these which snap on the back and I used a Speck Smart Shell with a smart cover on my iPad 2 and it dents the aluminium where it clips on.

This is why I have been further tempted to get a sleeve just for transport use.

11. veereihen6, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

veereihen6 macrumors member

OK, just got my Smart Feather.

It's exactly what I was looking for.

• Adds minimal bulk to the iPad
    • Locks the Smart Cover on, but still allows it to fold flat around the back
    • I got the Frost color so its a bit opaque and you can still see the Apple logo and any engraving you might have gotten.
    • Corner protection seems to be pretty good
    • All ports/switches seem to line up.
    • Comes with a microfiber screen cloth and a screen protector (which I hesitate to put on because I SUCK at it!)

Attached Files:

12. veereihen6 macrumors member

A couple more pics:

Attached Files:

13. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I would highly recommend the Belkin snapshield. I just picked up the one designed for the iPad 3 and it's really nice.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks for the pics. Any thoughts about whether there's enough clearance to accommodate a skin under it such as a BestSkinsEver?

15. veereihen6 macrumors member

Doesn't look like there's much space. Plus the way it secures on the side opposite the hinge (the volume switch edge), it just barely snaps over the edge. So anymore thickness and I don't think it would catch. But I could be wrong.

16. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Is the Smart Cover more secure when the Feather is attached?

17. veereihen6 macrumors member

Cannot remove Smart Cover with Feather attached. I held the Smart cover and let the ipad dangle with no fear of it falling.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't fit.

We'll see; I ordered one via Amazon a couple days ago and applied my BSE skin last night. Worst case, I'm out the cost to ship it back to Amazon. If I have to choose one vs other I'll go with the BSE as it worked well on my ipad2.

19. veereihen6 macrumors member

Forgot one pic of the back panel showing the opacity of the Frost color.

Attached Files:

20. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

How do you use the camera if it folds over the back?

21. veereihen6 macrumors member

BTW, ordered mine straight thru Incipio because I got a 20% disc from Amex Open

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

Don't forget that the Smart Cover is segmented so it can be folded into quarters. So if you have it flipped around the back of your iPad and need to take a picture, you just grab the free end of the Smart Cover and fold it in half.

Edit: random Internet pic
    [​IMG]

23. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Sweet, well I stuck with the Lexington because I'd have to get a $70 Smart Cover too. But it looks nice!

And they're sending me the replacement for free...so I'll get to keep two! (I'll probably sell the non-magnet one)

24. veereihen6 macrumors member

+1 exactly, but I never really intended for my iPad to be a main source of photo and video taking.

----------

Just get a non-leather smart cover....save yourself $30 clams.

25. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I'll sell the non-magnet one for like $30 on Craigslist...and we'll see from there.
    I want a black cover and they obviously only offer that in the more expensive leather. The Poly has some bad color options in my opinion...but your love your setup?