Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Casetify, a site that specializes in custom designed iPhone and iPad cases, recently debuted its first Apple Watch accessory -- watch bands that can be personalized with photos or images for a range of custom looks.

Using the site's design feature, or the company's mobile app, users can add photos from their computers, Instagram, or Facebook to create a watch band design.

catbandcasetify.jpg
Bands are available in both 38mm and 42mm, to fit both of the Apple Watch casing sizes, and they are constructed from polycarbonate silicone. There are three different layouts to choose from when creating a design, and images added to the band can be enhanced with one of nine filters. Casetify is also offering pre-designed watch bands with a variety of designs.

applewatchbands.jpg
Casetify is accepting pre-orders for custom designed Apple Watch bands, which are priced at $50. Watch bands will begin shipping out to customers in early June.

Article Link: Casetify Debuts Design-Your-Own Apple Watch Bands

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
That cat band is hilarious. And fugly.

The concept looks promising and the price is on par with Apple's bands. Not sure what their quality is, though. Maybe worth checking out.

Thanks for sharing.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
I think Steve Jobs would have said: "We baked a great cake and now you want to use **** for frosting"

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
I can't imagine people thinking... I think I'm going to spend $1000 on a watch... and wreck it with a lame band. I would think these types of bands will not do well. Now if someone were to come along with high quality bands...

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I'd want one that matched my skin colour, with a hairy look to it, so it looked like the watch is just resting/floating on my wrist

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Has Apple even said whether it would allow third party straps, or whether they have some design patents that would effectively preclude this?

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Has Apple even said whether it would allow third party straps, or whether they have some design patents that would effectively preclude this?

They'll probably come up with a "MFW" (Made For Watch) programme to make some money out of third party strap makers

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
They'll probably come up with a "MFW" (Made For Watch) programme to make some money out of third party strap makers

I disagree. It appears that they want you to buy the bands from them. Otherwise, they could have used a standard connector like the rest of the industry.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Quality leather or metal bands. No gimmicks. Under a hundred bucks. That's what 3rd parties should be doing. Why on earth would anyone want a watch band with pictures on it.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

While I haven't seen anything indicating one way or the other, there's simply too much money on the table (err, wrist) to not open this up. At some point. Doing so will only bolster the overall ecosystem.

I could see Apple reserving opening until v2 launch. Let the initial flock get out there in all their predetermined/controlled watch band combo goodness. This would allow Apple to establish the platform and set the standard - whilst affording vendors the time to get some truly complain offerings by v2 launch.

Regardless, should be a lot of fun watching the platform/ecosystem mature.

----------

I disagree. It appears that they want you to buy the bands from them. Otherwise, they could have used a standard connector like the rest of the industry.

'Cause Apple is known for using industry standards. ;)

Sure, Apple wants you to buy bands from them. At least for the first round. With such a wide range of pricing for their current band offerings, there are a LOT of holes that vendors will eventually fill. At some point, Apple will open it up.

Time will tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.