Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Was at Chevron and bought some stuff for a trip and forgot my wallet in the car on purpose to use Apple Pay lol. So I scan my phone on the keypad at the register and the cashier asks me debit or credit? I told her I am using Apple Pay, she then started making faces and said she needs to choose a option I just told her credit because I hate entering my pin (#FirstWorldProblems) and then she asks me for my ID and I told her you don't need a ID to use Apple Pay and that I forgot my wallet in the car, she said she still needs it, I didn't feel like making a big deal of it and just told her to do it debit then and I just scan my phone and put my pin.

I thought Apple Pay didn't require a ID and was a convenience feature and in essence your Fingerprint was your PIN number, guess I was wrong. Needless to say I wont be forgetting my wallet in the car anymore just in case.

I have used Apple Pay at a few places and is the first time having this problem.

Last edited:

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
It doesn't. It just seems cashiers are not sure how to process Apple Pay payments yet.. Give it some time it is still too soon.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Cashier thinking: "Hmm this is an ID, but I'm not sure what to match it to. Just stare at it a few seconds and then hand it back. I will get through this."

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Some businesses have a policy to ask for ID whenever anyone pays by credit or debit. Gas stations are usually among one of the first stops a person that steals a credit card goes to so I can understand why they may ask for ID. Also while Chevron is an "ApplePay Partner" a lot of gas stations are independently owned and operated so maybe she didn't get the memo on how to process an ApplePay transaction.

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
Shoulda gave her this OP

ncdu8m.gif

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
Isn't that what most of them do anyway?

Yes. And then like a thief in the night they'll scan your driver's license into their computer "to verify it's legit and your age is right". I HATE that! F*kin government doesn't need to know this info. I hold onto the card and don't let them take it from my hands.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Hold your thumb up and ask her what she needs it for.

We've got a winner! Very funny ! :D:apple:

----------

Yes. And then like a thief in the night they'll scan your driver's license into their computer "to verify it's legit and your age is right". I HATE that! F*kin government doesn't need to know this info. I hold onto the card and don't let them take it from my hands.

Not to mention they then sell your credit card and ID info to someone who steals your identity. They should never need to scan your ID!

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
In our eyes, its ApplePay. In the eyes of the employee, its just a credit transaction. Until it becomes more main stream, we all need to refrain from using the term ApplePay in the stores and simply refer to it as credit. Apple pay is a foriegn term to most cashiers. They get thrown off and simply do not understand what it is or how to process it. Simply tell them your using credit for them to start the process. Then use ApplePay if an NFC terminal is present and active.

Some things Ive observed on these forums and in stores. At some stores, the NFC terminals are active and always looking for payment. An example of this could be a store that allows you to swipe your card and complete payment while the cashier is still ringing up your items. In this case, the terminal is alive and active during the transaction.

Another example is Mcdonald's. While Mcdonald's is NFC/ApplePay ready, the transaction needs to be complete and the cashier needs to hit the "Non Cash/Credit" key on the register. After hitting this key, the terminal will become active and ready for you to swipe your card or hold your phone near the terminal to complete the payment process.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

I've never seen them actually scan a drivers licence, and if you're going on a rant about the government knowing that info if they are scanning your ID it's whatever company you are buying from getting it not the government....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Exactly what is she comparing your ID to? lol

Lol:D
That's a great question.
I wonder if the customers name pops up on the screen at all or what does show up when the transaction completes.
Any people behind the terminal that processed an applepay or NFC transaction maybe can tell us.

----------

I've never seen them actually scan a drivers licence, and if you're going on a rant about the government knowing that info if they are scanning your ID it's whatever company you are buying from getting it not the government....

The only places I saw scanning your license is liquor stores and some bars or clubs to make sure your license is legit.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The only places I saw scanning your license is liquor stores and some bars or clubs to make sure your license is legit.

Usually they aren't scanning it they are passing under a black light to see holograms etc to make sure it's real. I don't state governments have a system for an average business to verify a ID is real by scanning. Crooks want to take a picture of your ID to commit fraud.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Usually they aren't scanning it they are passing under a black light to see holograms etc to make sure it's real. I don't state governments have a system for an average business to verify a ID is real by scanning. Crooks want to take a picture of your ID to commit fraud.

Target scans my license when I buy liquor or cough syrup.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014

I've had it happen at gas stations a lot when buying cigarettes. I understand your point about the company though. It just irks me, the whole system. It's all the advertisement/behind the scenes crap, you know? Can't go anywhere or do anything without some 'ad agency' getting your info. Yes I believe the government is getting this info as well. I'm sure it all ties into insurance and in the future, one day you'll have insurance and the next you won't or it'll cost more because you bought a pack of smokes or fast food. It's all becoming too 'Minority Report'...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

No, the places I saw it they were scanning the back of the license. Not the blacklight test that many places do.
They were using a reader kinda like the barcode gun they use at grocery stores and the machine beeped when it scanned in the computer.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Wow - I've never had that happen to me. Guess I could understand liquor stores, cigarette purchases and some cold medications though. After all most states have laws in place making it illegal to sell these to minors and they would need to check for fake ID.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Target scans my license when I buy liquor or cough syrup.

I'll admit I had to look that up because I had never heard of that practice. A Target spokesperson said they swipe IDs to make the verification process faster and more accurate and only retain the data that is relevant to the type of transaction. E.g., only the date of birth is obtained when purchasing alcohol. However, the spokesperson said a customer can opt to have their birth date entered manually instead of a ID swipe and the clerk would need a supervisor for this.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Wow - I've never had that happen to me. Guess I could understand liquor stores, cigarette purchases and some cold medications though. After all most states have laws in place making it illegal to sell these to minors and they would need to check for fake ID.

Yep, this was a very busy liquor store.
Not many places have them available for their stores cause I guess they're expensive and need a connection to the states database.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.