Casing? Skin? Etc?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wharzhee, Jun 20, 2012.

1. wharzhee macrumors 6502

Everyone is talking about the hardware and everything other than the casing.

I'm going to get mine soon, an 11' one. Any have any recommendations?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll likely find plenty of recommendations by reading some of the dozens of existing threads on this topic. Here are a few to get you started. You can find more with a simple search of the forum.

Found a unique 11' case - thought I would share!
    Do you use a Case or Sleeve?
    skin or case?
    MacBook Air carrying bag / case
    Is a sleeve or case really necessary?
    Do you have a skin or shell on your MBA?

3. wharzhee thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I had. But most of them were dated quite back.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I'm a big skin fan - icarbons.com sells some that fit very well, and will protect from scratches without adding any (or very minimal) size and weight. I especially like their brushed aluminum skins - ends up looking like a stock Air.

6. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

7. sarah11918, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

sarah11918 macrumors member

8. Team Timm macrumors regular

Wrapsol

I have a full body wrapsol skin on my MBA 13. I spent too much on it to just let it get a scratch on it while traveling to and from work everyday. Must be the OCD but I tend to put a skin on all my products (full body on the iPhone and one on the backside of the iPad).

If you're like me, just get a skin and a sleeve. Don't put a case on it though, show off your baby. :p

9. npro1464 macrumors member

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Sure it is just opinion. But I have tried Zagg IS and BodyGuardz and heard of others and had these on my original iPhone, 3G, 4, unibody MacBook, iPad and iPad 2 and hands down the best skin I've seen/used is BestSkinsEver. And they are the cheapest. Most use the same 3M stuff unless you are talking carbon fiber or something, so really it is just the cut/template. And they can also differ in application. MacBook will be 4 yrs old in Nov, and looks flawless. Not one scratch. Thanks BSE!!

If you want the decal route look at Gelaskins. You can pick stock images or upload an image and design your own. I got a BSE for my MBA but I'm thinking of going with a Gela for the top.

One suggestion. Use the top lid, bottom, and two wrist rest pieces but I'm not a fan of skinning the trackpad.

11. mikeytrend macrumors member

I'm getting the 11" Air in a few days. I bought an MBP the summer before college and bought one of those clear plastic snap on cases. Worst idea ever.

It makes it harder to dissipate the heat, which might not be a problem, but is something to consider. Also, it rubbed at the aluminum and bent my case where some of the tabs touched. I discovered I'm pretty good with electronics and all I use now are those Incase slip sleeves for my iPad and laptop.

12. wharzhee thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi. Thanks for the replies, recommendations, and links.

Any ever spent a lot on their casing? Sleeves? Like LV, Prada?
    And those who bought skins, did you apply it yourself?

13. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I buy Vaja for a lot of things, but not the Macbook Air as I don't envision taking it a lot of places. LV/Prada is a waste; you won't find better quality than Vaja.

14. stormdanny macrumors newbie

Skin is more like a decoration than protection. If you need real good protection, do invest on good quality case.

15. dbrewster macrumors member

To those who prefer skins, how are the edges after months/years of use?

16. asting macrumors 6502

I have the zagg on the wristpad, bottom, top and trackpad. It's great and makes it a little more comfortable to use. I installed myself, and they give you aa lifetime warranty so I'll replace them in a few months as they get worn down a bit.
    It was $35 on Amazon.

17. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I prefer my Macbook Air NAKED :) Why spoil a beautiful design and compromise heat dissipation? Mind you, that's just my opinion...

I do however have a splendid leather Joli black/green leather sleeve for it. If typing alot I also use a Moshi Clearguard keyboard protector (if in the EU/UK make sure you don't get the US one...) and *always* use a Radtech Screensavz screen protector cloth, that sits between keyboard and screen, when I'm not using the machine. Annoyingly, though, I can't use the Moshi Clearguard and the Radtech Screensavz at the same time with my MBA - the lid won't close properly, though one or the other at a time is fine.

18. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

I like the look of the iCarbons, and I think they're a great way to protect the aluminum against scratches, but can I ask a dumb question? I know a case greatly inhibits heat dissipation... what about these skins?

19. Belgrano macrumors member

EXOSkin carbon v. iCarbon?

I've been wondering if anyone has thoughts on which is the better of these two:

http://www.amazon.com/XGear-EXOSkin...1342115729&sr=8-2&keywords=macbook+air+carbon

http://www.icarbons.com/collections/macbook-air-13-2nd-gen

I know a few people seem to like the iCarbon, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the EXOskin. Seems like $50 is a bit steep for a skin, and Amazon sells the EXOskins at a cheaper price.

And how horrible is it to apply these skins? I always HATE putting screen protectors on my iPhone. It could be hell getting it perfect on a MBA.

20. asting macrumors 6502

I doubt a skin impacts it more than a degree or two. Mine doesn't seem to be overheating.

21. tsboy69 macrumors regular

Installed the Moshi palm protectors on my MBA 13".

Fit perfectly, and without my glasses on cannot really see where it ends. Some folks complained that the trackpad cover affected the performance of the 'decal' but I have not noticed any change in performance. Love it!

22. JMountainDew macrumors regular

JMountainDew

Good to know. I appreciate your reply.

23. asting macrumors 6502

No problem. I haven't done extensive testing, but I haven't run into issues with it either. I also usually browse the web, watch videos, but have edited about 100 photos (20 at once) in photoshop and also done some gaming (diablo, iLOL, limbo). Those situations should stress the computer, but I've never felt it was too warm and never had it shutdown from overheating.

24. dbrewster macrumors member

+1. My last iPhone to get a screen protector was my 3G. It's a ***** to put on, gets scratched easily & attracts fingerprints like crazy. I don't use matte because it dulls the retina display. I can just imagine how much dust/dirt gets trapped while applying these skins. Re: heat dissipation, I'm quite sure aluminum > any skin out there.

25. asting macrumors 6502

No one's questioning that aluminum conducts heat better than a silicone skin, however the question is whether or not it's significant enough that it matters.

As far as fingerprints, who cares? The one thing i dislike about the zagg on my phone is that it attracts a bit of oil. On a trackpad and top and bottom of a computer who cares? It's not a screen so it doesn't show up.