casio FX-9860GII vs. TI-89

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by caramello, Nov 8, 2009.

1. caramello macrumors newbie

Hi,

first I wanted to apologise if I post this in a wrong thread. I need help in choosing which graphing calculator that I should buy. Personally, I have been using casio calculators all my life, and I have tried using TIs before but I'm just not used to it. However, since I'm already in university now I have to upgrade from my scientific calculator to a graphing calculator. So I was wondering which one is better, casio FX-9860GII or Ti-89 for an engineering student (I'm in electrical engineering major).

Also, I'm sure there'll be difference between those 2, so I'm wondering if there's a vast difference between them? Because I'm sure that TI 89 is a good calculator since almost everyone uses TI. but I'm not too sure about casio FX-9860GII.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Get the TI.

They're nearly ubiquitous--so even if they aren't the best(can't compare to the Casio since I've never used one), you'll always be able to find help with them if necessary. And really, they're fantastic in they're right.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

TI... and if you can go Titanium, even better.

4. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

They only make the Titanium at this point, so unless you're buying used (nothing wrong with that!), the Titanium is your only option. Having used both, and being an engineering student myself who uses one on a daily basis...you don't need the Titanium. It's a nice boost from the normal 89, but there's nothing critical in the differences.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I got used to the Titanium's layout and work. I know there are no practical obvious difference (besides looks). I'm also an engineer student.

God, I love the TI at Diff Equ's or Multi-Variables...

6. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I'll go for the Droid. Oops wrong thread :p Too many Droid threads around.

Anyway, the 89 would be better.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

TI 89 is my vote as well. Once you get over the learning curve you will never want to switch back. Also look forward to the day you can not stand to use anything but pretty print. I can not use a grapher unless it has pretty print now.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

How much would someone pay for a used 89 Titanium? I've had one collecting dust for years now, and would love to sell it for some extra cash.

10. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Beat me to it, haha. I have one too that I never use. Hooray Grapher app and Wolfram Alpha!

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Use what the teacher recommends, which is also likely what everyone else has.

If everyone's got the 89 and you've got the Casio, you're going to be pretty lost when someone's explaining how to do something on the 89.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I just put mine up on Amazon Marketplace. They are going for around $100 used.

And I can't second this enough. I got my 89 back in high school for a pre-calculus class I took (I know, talk about overkill. The only reason I got it is because it was on sale - and cheaper than the 83 that was recommended). I had that instruction book out on my desk every day, since I often had to figure out how to do something on my own, while the teacher was explaining how to do it on the 83.

13. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I was the geek programming the calculators at college lol. TIs have always been better for me.