Cat chases off attacking dog. Saves little boy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peace, May 15, 2014.

1. Peace, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I saw that earlier too. It is amazing to see a cat come out and defend something other than itself. That was really cool.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The cat was defending its property. ;)

You think the cat rubbing against your leg is cute and a sign of affection? Nope, the cat is making you their pets. :D

Seriously, nice tackle by the cat. It is a rarity to see a story about a cat doing this. Usually it is a dog coming to the rescue, etc.

4. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Ya. Cat's can be badass when they want to. I saw a mother cat protect her kittens once by jumping on the back of the dog and digging it's claw's into the dog.

Doggie didn't like that and took off. LOL

:D

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh I know it! I'm a cat owner... Errrr I'm owned by a cat. :p

6. Felasco Guest

Yup, I had a cat once who did that too. She charged a german shepard in a narrow alley, and kicked his butt right on outta there. I was amazed....

7. Imaginator macrumors regular

You'd defend your food source too!

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Also, I hope we hear more about the dogs background. Did it have any history of aggression? If so, why did the neighbor let it roam free? Did the dog have any kind of disease that would make it aggressive?

I love dogs( family has always had greyhounds) and it sucks the dog had to be put down if it wasn't diseased and was its first offense.

9. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

Not sure about it's history but it was supposed to be locked up in it's yard.

"She also said the dog belonged to a neighbor and is now under voluntary observation at Bakersfield Animal Care Center.

Sgt. Joe Grubbs, Bakersfield Police spokesman, said the dog will be quarantined for 10 days then euthanized.

The neighbor was pulling their vehicle out of their gated driveway when the dog escaped."

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

This was cool. Cats would almost never lose to dogs as long as they have their claws. Dogs hate their noses to be clawed and tend to learn that quick. If you have ever been clawed or bitten by a cat, you will know how much it can hurt. Amazing how fast they can strike and be gone as well.

My brother breads Rottweilers and has a cat. Rottweilers are big strong dogs. But my brother tells me, all it takes from his cat is a nasty hiss or swipe at the dogs and they never bother his cat again.

Kudos to the cat, because that dog sure looked big enough to seriously hurt that child.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I just hate when dogs that are poorly trained, etc are put down after an attack of some kind when all it would take is some proper training hopefully to fix over aggressive behavior.

Are people afraid that now it has the taste of human, the dog will want more? I could understand if it had a disease, a history, etc.

I don't know though. Each case is unique, etc.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Well said. The dog most likely felt it was protecting its property. I do not condone the dog attacking the child though and am in no way defending it.

Most dog rescues will tell you, "There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners". Coming from a dog owner.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think they say that a cat chooses you, rather than you the cat…

Actually, I watched that video earlier and it was fascinating.

I'm one of those who likes both cats and dogs a lot; extraordinary animals.

However, I have noticed that good, thoughtful, caring, committed pet owners tend to care for animals who express - perhaps inevitably - similar behaviour and characteristics, and are a pleasure to be around.

Nevertheless, pet owners - especially owners of large strong dogs who live next, nigh, or near small children - have a responsibility to ensure that their pets are under control and are not a threat to anyone, least of all small children.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I like dogs too and grew up with many of them. All I have now is one cat, Puma, as you already know. ;)

He's the best pet I've had and I treat him like a king and am always affectionate and friendly to him and subsequently he reciprocates that love and kindness to me and to other humans who come to visit. He's never been mistreated or abused and it shows because he's such a good and loving animal. I've had him since he was about 8 weeks old and next month will be his (arbitrary) birthday when he will be 10 years old.

Attached Files:

15. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

So.. You're doing exactly what he want's you to do..Typical cat.

:p

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Absolutely! I'm not in charge of my home... he is!

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ask the parents of that child who live next door to this dog's owner. Would they want the dog to come home with a "promise" from the owner that this will "never happen again"?

I suppose they could sell or give the dog away, or put it in the pound.

19. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

As much I hate what the dog did, it pains me to see an animal put down :(

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My DD11 opened the chicken coop to tend to the chickens forgetting that her dog was in the yard. The dog slipped past her and killed a chicken. She was very mad at the dog, as well as saddened by the loss of one of her chickens.

It was a hard lesson for her about responsibility. The dog had no clue what it did wrong. It couldn't figure out why she wasn't happy. He was showing off his hunting ability. She put a reminder on the door of the coop. Now she never opens the coop unless the dog is outside of the backyard fence, is on a leash or is in the house.

The dog in this incident most likely has no idea what he/she did wrong. It will be put down still not knowing. We, as the superior animal are responsible. The owner made a mistake. She let the dog escape. If she thought the dog was a risk, she should have warned the neighbors and enlisted help to catch it. The dog will pay the price.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yeah, the dog's OWNER needs to be put down. Nut'n worst than an irresponsible pet owner. Not picking up after their pets is the low end of the offense scale. Letting their pets attack people, that's a hanging offense.

22. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Watch the video again please. Better yet, google for the longer version that shows up close the deep bite marks in the child’s flesh, with visible muscle tissue. This was not a quick bite or nip. Similarly, even in this shortened clip you can see the dog "stalk", approach, bite, and drag the child across the lawn. A child that was on the opposite side of the car from the dog and was approaching his own home.

It's precisely because the dog "has no idea what he/she did wrong" that it sadly needs to be put down. If this level of aggressive is "second nature" to this particular animal, it really has no place in a suburban community.

Not all things deserve to be in all places at all times. Even in good ol America. A dog with proven history of a vicious unprovoked attack on a child is, in my mind, one of those entities. And I'm a dog lover.

Yes, the owners failed the dog. But the owners did not attack the boy. The dog did. And likely will again if given the chance, this kid or some other.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It is just like when your child does something wrong. You as the parent are the responsible party. When you pet does something wrong, you are at fault. If the owner of this dog knew that this dog was good around people care should have been exercised to keep it in its fence and to get it trained. In the event it got out of the fence, the neighbors should have been warned.

24. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Shoulda, coulda, woulda ...

Now what? Hefty fine and a promise? An apology? Obediance school?
    "Bad pet owner lives here" placard in the front yard?

The dog has maimed, it's time to go.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We are going to execute the dog for the owners mistakes. Why not send the dog to a rescue where it can be properly trained and adopted? As for the owner, an apology and a fine should be a given.

I own a mastiff. I know what the dog is capable of doing. I also know that he is a dog. It is my responsibility to properly post warning signs, to fence my back yard and to invisible fence my front yard. (I am not allowed an actual fence in the front.) He is a dog. I am his master. I am responsible for his actions.