Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

it5five

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 31, 2006
New York
One of my cats loves to play catch with me. He'll walk up to me with one of his mice in his mouth and drop it in front of me and start meowing. If I throw it he'll run and get it and bring it right back. He can do this all night.

Does anyone else's cat do this or any other weird things?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Many years ago, we had a cat that could open some doors in the house by leaping and pulling the door handle down.

He was run over by a car because he also had this stupid habit of sitting in the middle of the road outside the house at night; not a good idea when you're jet-black.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
My cat walks on a leash outside and can sit, liedown and shake paw on command (most of the time).

He will also drag his brush to me when he wants to be groomed. and very rarely will carry his empty bowl to my computer desk and whack my ankles with it to let me know he is hungry.

He also lies on my messed up ankle when it hurts and I can use his warm tummy as a foot rest then. He is a big cat 25lbs and the size of a Cocker Spaniel.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
One of my cats loves to play catch with me. He'll walk up to me with one of his mice in his mouth and drop it in front of me and start meowing. If I throw it he'll run and get it and bring it right back. He can do this all night.

Little sponge balls from PetSmart, painted like soccer balls. They are about the size of a golf ball. My cat will drop one in front of me, I'll throw it and he'll tear off after it. Brings it back every time until he's had enough, then he just plops onto his side.

Never saw a cat play fetch before I got Gizmo.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
One of my cats uses the human toilet to go potty. :D

I didn't "teach" her or anything formal like. I mean, they (both cats) frequently follow me into the bathroom but still...

One day I was home alone and heard, well, an odd water tinkling sound. Worried that someone had somehow broken in, I snuck towards the sound-- which was coming from my bathroom.

Peeked in.

There she was crouched, all four paws on the seat, bottom hovering, and sure enough, a steady little stream! :D She looked annoyed with me.

She's done it since, but not everyday and not all that routinely.

Still, if I hear a slight tinkling, I can't help but to grin.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
My cat also plays fetch with me like a dog, but with little balls, not with mice. She also sleeps on my shoulder.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
One of my cats loves to play catch with me. ...
He-he... one of my Mother's old cats used to do this, until he fell off the roof three stories up, hitting a cast iron railing on the way down and breaking his hip. He was never quite the same after that, and his favourite past time after that was sitting on the kitchen sink and watching the water trickle...

Another of my mother's cats, the one living with us now on his old days, eats just about everything... I once fed him broccoli of the dinner table and he ate it. He's also crazy about chocolate, and comes to beg whenever we eat that.

Many years ago, we had a cat that could open some doors in the house by leaping and pulling the door handle down.
My first cat's mother could do that... awesome to look at. My current cat, Shiva, is very poor with regular doors: he has developed a very nice technique to open sliding doors (of which we have two), but he then thinks all doors are sliding doors, and cannot get a regular door open for the life of him, even when there's a crack open...

He was run over by a car because he also had this stupid habit of sitting in the middle of the road outside the house at night; not a good idea when you're jet-black.
I had a grey cat, actually the brother of my mother's cat living with us now, that also had a bad habit of not understanding the dangers of the road: He used to like chasing leafs and stuff out in the road, not too smart in a 50 km/h zone when you're the same colour as the road... my mother's cat actually witnessed it and is still terrified of cars, almost 15 years later...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Iago plays catch also, very similarly to how you describe it. With mice predominantly.

The toilet thing is too cute... When I first got Iago, he'd really miss me when I was in the bathroom, so I'd leave the door open if I was home alone. in the morning, he'd want to come in and use the litter box while I was using the toilet. lol.... nutty cat.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Our cat will touch you on the face when it wants petting, and sits up at the table to eat.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
We also had a cat that would put his paw into a glass of milk or water that was too low to reach with his mouth, dip the paw and lick it repeatedly.
Most of our cats does that... they've seem to have learned it from eachother... it all started with my old cat, Einstein, who didn't like to stick his head in with other cats when they were fed collectively, used to sit on the side and scoop up some food with his paw and bring the food to his mouth that way. All the cats we've had since have used that technique, in one form or another, to reach hard-to-get food or drink (and especially my girlfriend's milk glasses, to her great annoyance :D).

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
My cat will walk around the apartment with a toy in her mouth, howling. It sounds funny because she's got something in her mouth. Then she'll jump on the bed and drop it on my head. If I am not in bed, she just leaves them all over the bed for me.

She will meow at me if I so much as look at her with my mouth open.

When I go to bed at night, she sleeps on the other half of the pillow.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Mine has a strange fascination with Japanese movies.

At first I thought it was the subtitles, but he's not interested when I watch anything else with them, although he does like it when my girlfriend talks Danish to him.

Long on beauty, short on brains sadly.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?

my cat plays fetch all the time

and he can walk on a leash

and he can shake a paw

iSaint

macrumors 603

I have a talker, too. My first cat as a bachelor was very talkative. When they're hungry, they all talk.

Had two of these. Both died untimely deaths. Why is it all the coolest cats die young?

letsgorangers

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
TN
Had two of these. Both died untimely deaths. Why is it all the coolest cats die young?

I have had Lily since I was 10 or 11. We went to go get a siamese and I fell in love with the tiniest little kitty. The breeder pulled by parents aside and told them that this particular kitten was born with only half a diaphragm/lungs/ribs. He said if they bought a kitten from him, then I could have the sickly one for free (how kind). Anyway, my parents let me have the cat. The first time we took her to the vet, he chided my parents for buying their kid a cat that was going to die very soon. Not only did she not die, but she is around 12 years old now! When she was little, she'd wear out very easily, so I'd just carry her around everywhere. She's a wonderful cat.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mine will play fetch too.
but he loves crumpled paper balls, and the rings you get from gallons of milk.
and he'll start hitting my glasses if he thinks its my bed time
and he tries to groom me sometimes too.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
We got Indie at about six months old. At the time her meow was a silent "Kah". We thought it was cute and that me might actually have a quite cat. That changed soon enough. Now we often can't get her to shut up!

Iago got a lot more vocal around one year, also. He was very quiet as a baby. Now he's on a diet, and god does he whine for an hour before mealtime. :rolleyes: :D

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
My cat will walk around the apartment with a toy in her mouth, howling. It sounds funny because she's got something in her mouth. Then she'll jump on the bed and drop it on my head. If I am not in bed, she just leaves them all over the bed for me.

Living in the sticks, I have a cat door so Ms. Hunter can come and go as she pleases. She brought me a "toy" one summer night, 2:30 in the morning coming into my bedroom, kinda huffing and puffing and making that funny noise so I knew she had something in her mouth. I went to turn on the light as she jumped up on the bed and she dropped her massive prize on the bed: a 12" grass snake, apparently unharmed and not really very happy.

I grabbed Mr. Lucky Twister with one hand and the cat with the other and took them both downstairs pronto! Dropped the cat off in the bathroom temporarily, closing the door, then took the snake outside and tossed it into the grass, then closed up that damn cat door and instituted new rules for carefree summer living: cat comes in by 10pm or stays outside all night!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.