Categories, stacks v3, pogoplank, and expose -- which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by polobreaka, Oct 19, 2009.

1. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

so im noticing new organizing apps are popping up. some are still in beta.. which do you guys prefer?

currently right now im still using categories, but expose and stacks v3 looks pretty good.

only thing that bugs me about categories is the loading part. the icons and the rearranging part of this app is a little hassle but i can deal with that.

do you guys know if all these will work together?

pogoplank looks kind of ugly.

2. palaemon macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more.

3. zvandiver macrumors member

I tried pogoplank for a few minutes, but I still like my current setup best.
    I have four categories-apps, media, tools, and games. I have five springjumps -one for each category and one for home. I put each category icon at the upper left of the page with my most-used apps directly on the page.
    The far left icon on the dock jumps back to the home page.
    I have tried the orbit expose app, but I don't think I really need it with this setup.
    Zane

Attached Files:

4. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm interesting. looks nice. i never understood how springjump works. i think i installed it for a bit and then uninstalled cuz i didnt know what it does.

5. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Categories could be great, but it's just painfully slow. I just installed stacks v3 last week and absolutely love it. I've also noticed my battery life is dramatically improved, and the only change I made was adding stacks. All my apps are now on one page, in 9 stacks, so perhaps not swiping from page-to-page saves battery.

My old setup was springjumps which was also great. I had a similar set up to what Zane has, except I placed them in my dock.

6. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just got orbit, the iphone expose, i gotta say..im impress. its pretty fast. even though its not really doing me any good since i only have 2 pages..but i dont know if its good enough to let me get rid of categories. i like having less pages.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (JB3.1, unlocked): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I've never bothered with Categories or Stacks, but I just got Orbit and I really like it. It just needs doubletap home button functionality and it would be perfect.

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I liked the Stacks idea but it found it tedious to set up, adding and removing icons one at a time, then having to hide the icons you have added etc. It should be a simple one step drag and drop and a re-spring to finish.

Orbit is fast and requires no set up and certainly beats scrolling through pages, however I think the page previews in Orbit could be larger to fill the available area if you have 6 or less pages of apps rather than the standard 12 page layout.

[​IMG]

As already mentioned pogo planks looks king of fugly.

9. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

i concur, the pages should be bigger to fill up if you have less pages.

10. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

do anyone know if all of these work under 3.1.x?

11. zvandiver macrumors member

I haven't tried Stacks, but all of the others seem to work just fine.

12. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

are there anymore 'organizing' apps?

i wish stacks would allow more than 16 apps. i think that would be more helpful than categories if it did.

does anybody know by having too many pages, does it drain battery vs having minimal pages from using categories?

13. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

There's a new cydia app called CategoriesSB that integrates categories into the springboard, so now opening a folder is just as fast as opening a stack.

Finally! Perfection! :D So now, obviously, Categories wins my vote.

14. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh its not free...bummer. is it pretty much the same app? its not an update?

15. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Yeah I guess it's just an extension for the Categories app, not a whole new app. Folders now open immediately. Also, my apps (that are in folders) now scroll vertically instead of horizontally...I'm not sure if that's always been an option but I like it.

16. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

so i need to install both? right now i just have the regular categories..does it overwrite it? how did it work for you? i think i rather like it scroll up and down instead. like how stacks is in snow leopard.

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

CategoriesSB works as claimed for me. Enjoy the immediate availability of the apps.
    [​IMG]

18. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

hey there buddy, I heard there is an app in cydia that lets you choose which app you want the double click home button to open.

I'm not sure what the name of it is though.

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for

Kirikae is a task manager which allows you to set favorites, it open with a double tap of home button, then go directly to any app on the phone which is in your favorites.

It is very quick, especially if you turn off the animations.

20. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

categoriesSB is so awesome and fast!! i think its way better than stacks.

you're able to add more apps in each folder. you may create as many folders as you want.

you'll need to download Categories and CategoriesSB ($0.99).

21. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

WOW. Thanks for letting me know about CategoriesSB. Thats exactly what I wanted them to do with that app.

22. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Havent tried stacks. I had PP, but stopped using it once I themed my SB with the Illumine theme. If by expose you mean orbit, then I dont use that much...yet.

23. tboooe macrumors regular

I have tried all of these and for me I prefer Orbit. Categories is really useful but I like to be able to see the apps themselves on the springboard. If Orbits would add the ability to name the various pages, then it would be like a hybrid Categories app and make it a real winner for me.

24. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

For those who have used Categories SB, anyone notice if this takes a toll on the amount of free memory available? I would imagine that it would increase the amount of memory tied up with the Springboard.

Currently I am using Orbit, which I like. I agree with the above post that said it would be nice if it could sort of zoom in on the pages. I only have 7 pages right now and so do not need to have the pages show up so small.

25. polobreaka thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually no. im getting a good amount of free memory. i have the 3gs and im getting constant 140-150mb free at idle. not sure if that helps.