CAUTION! Marware MicroShell Issue (New iPad) *Update from Mareware!*

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by wgr73, Mar 26, 2012.

1. wgr73, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I have this shell and there is a sizable gap between the case and iPad where the smart cover attaches. It's several mm wide and dust/dirt can and will get trapped scratching the iPad. The case does not sit flush on all sides only the top. If you set the iPad down on the table face down (screen against the table) and push down on the shell there is a few mm gap across most of the back shell. This is a major issue for those who are concerned about getting dust trapped in the back and scratching the iPad. I've contacted Marware about this issue and have yet to hear back. Here is a shot of the smart cover side of this case.

[​IMG]

Just got an email response from them:

"Hello wgr73,

The gap you describe is normal with the new Microshells. It's not a defect. We can replace the case for you, but the device does not fit in flush with the case.

Please let us now if we can be of further assistance

Marware Support"

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Does that fit over your iPad if you have something like an invisible shield over it?

3. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I have an SGP front film on, that's it. Nothing covers the back on mine. However with the amount of space in the rear part of the shell (the issue I'm talking about) I'm sure a ZAGG or BSE would work fine.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Yup, if I had a BSE or IS then it wouldn't be a problem for me but Mareware can't assume everyone will have one. Idk, it seems like a defect to me. I don't think this was intentional.

----------

Just got an email response from them:

"Hello wgr73,

The gap you describe is normal with the new Microshells. It's not a defect. We can replace the case for you, but the device does not fit in flush with the case.

Please let us now if we can be of further assistance

Marware Support"

Very interesting. Not sure why they would design a case that is like this. It's a sure thing that dust/dirt/sand is going to get trapped in the back of it. No clue as to why they would do this. Every other shell I've had sits flush and does not allow the back to be open :eek: I'm probably going to return this.

6. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

I'm really confused. I have the Marware MicroShell for the The New iPad and it doesn't look anything like what's in your photo.

Additionally, there's no bowing of the case at the juncture of the magnetic area and there needs to be a couple of mm of pushback so the Smart Cover's hinges have a place to hide under.

Can you please clarify your issue? Otherwise, I suspect you have accidentally gotten the iPad 2 version or another case entirely.

BJ

7. wgr73, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Thanks dude for your reply.

So you can see the "bowing" right where the smart cover attaches! Good, that's what I'm talking about here. I do have a double ridge!! There is a gap (see my picture) there allowing for debris to enter the rear of the device. I understand there has to be play to allow for the iPad to snap in, but this shell is clearly too big causing bowing and space behind the iPad. Can you post a picture of yours?

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

On your photo I see a double-ridge along the spot where the case meets the aluminum, yes? Looks like a trench or groove molded in the plastic.

On the MicroShell that I own, there is no double-ridge, just a single flat smooth surface that curves smoothly until it touches the aluminum.

Can you take a few pics of the whole back/sides/top/bottom of your case? I think you have the wrong one.

BJ

9. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Thanks BJ. The box it came in said "The newest iPad" :D They have a sense of humor to say the least.

I'll take some pictures when I get home. The spot where it meets the aluminum is where the gap is. So it technically only meets the aluminum for an inch or so up the side (starting at the bottom of my picture going toward the top of my picture) then there is a gap.

----------

I updated the picture in my original post to be more clear. Also Marware is shipping a replacement. I'll see if that is any better.

10. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Marware MicroShell doesn't have a gap and doesn't have the double-ridge design that your's has. My case is flush to the aluminum, no flex or gap at all.

BJ

11. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Crazy, yup then mine has a defect. It doesn't look like yours at all. They are sending a replacement as we speak.

12. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Mine is somewhat similar to the OP's. There is definitely breathing room between the case and iPad itself where the smart cover would attach.

Also, the bottom area near the 30-pin connector and speaker also has some give.

13. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Yup I'll update once I get my new case in.

14. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Did all 4 corners of your case snap really smartly and tightly to the iPad? They should hold very firmly in all 4 corners, stick up about 1mm and give some front protection.

BJ

15. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Yes they did, and I thought this might take the 'bowing' away in the back..but it didnt.

16. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

17. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Good. I hope this is fixed.

18. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

Just got my shipment e-mail. Should be here by the end of the week.

19. TSloper macrumors member

Did they acknowledge a design change or are you just hoping the new one is a little better?

20. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

They told me it was normal and that it shouldn't fit flush :rolleyes:

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Same here. Mine looks exactly like BoltJames but as you and the OP described, has a bit of give in the back and at any of the edges that don't come up and click to the front bezel (dock connector, smart cover edge and top). It doesn't really bother me as the primary purpose of the case for me was to protect against scratches on hard surfaces.

22. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

If you get a piece of sand/dirt back there...even a hard piece of food/candy it's definitely scratching the back of your iPad. I've seen this happen with my MacBook Pro and poorly designed cases like this. Same aluminum :eek:

23. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I never said the fit was ideal but rather, it was better than leaving the back naked. It's far more likely I'll scratch an exposed back than I will if this cover is on. And by the way, where exactly are you using your iPad where you have a significant risk of getting food/candy lodged between your cover and iPad through an opening that's maybe a mm deep? Sorry, but sounds like the cover is the least of your problems. :rolleyes:

24. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Lol. I understand what you're saying but have you ever put your iPad in your car, maybe on the seat? Maybe on the couch? Maybe let a friend put it in his lap? Any of those could have small particles, be it dust, dirt, candy....maybe not candy but you get the idea. With a gap the size of mine things have already been back there and I only use it at home! Trust me, I'm very careful. You're right tho it's better than naked!

25. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

The new one is a tad better. It's still not like yours BJ. Oh well :rolleyes: