iPad Pro CAUTION! New iPad Pro 11” (Glass Screen Protector) Issues

pokenguyen

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2012
My MediaDevil just came to Germany yesterday. Thanks to the tape hinge method described here, I was able to apply the screen perfectly at the first attemp.

The plastic protector is firmer than normal plastic one, the surface texture is as smooth as the glass (I compared with my other devices with glass). The protector fits the screen perfectly so you only can know that you have it while looking at the camera hole. The fingerprint is definitely worse than the native glass screen, but it's easy to wipe. The touch sensitivity is good, no problem for me, except in the morning if both my screen and my fingers are cold, the screen doesn't response to touch at all (I'm not sure if it happens without protector or not, I applied the protector right after opening the seal), while my Pixel 2 still works fine.

In Germany I also have a glass-like plastic protector for my phone, and they are very similar in feel.

Anyway, this is nearly the perfect screen protector for me, the only problem is the fingerprint magnet. I'm looking forward to the new material with the anti-fingerprint next year from MediaDevil.

Another notable thing is that their customer support is very friendly and fast to response. I had some problems with my orders and they solved it very quickly.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
So do you believe it’s the folio and active magnets causing the glass to not work properly? I have a generic case on mine now that’s just a clip in case without using magnets in the back.

Could someone chime in who has a non magnet case and glass?
Yeah based on what I am seeing. If I take the iPad out of the folio, all is good but then again I just installed it last night so I will update as it’s morning now. Based on my short “scientific” testing, once the magnets are “activated” then that’s when I saw touch issues occur with the glass protectors. I will also try it in the folio with it plugged in as that will act as a ground like someone mentioned before. The previous glass protector I had which was I think the ESR brand, if I plug the iPad into the charger and also use the folio, there are no touch issues at all.

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
My MediaDevil just came to Germany yesterday. Thanks to the tape hinge method described here, I was able to apply the screen perfectly at the first attemp.

The plastic protector is firmer than normal plastic one, the surface texture is as smooth as the glass (I compared with my other devices with glass). The protector fits the screen perfectly so you only can know that you have it while looking at the camera hole. The fingerprint is definitely worse than the native glass screen, but it's easy to wipe. The touch sensitivity is good, no problem for me, except in the morning if both my screen and my fingers are cold, the screen doesn't response to touch at all (I'm not sure if it happens without protector or not, I applied the protector right after opening the seal), while my Pixel 2 still works fine.

In Germany I also have a glass-like plastic protector for my phone, and they are very similar in feel.

Anyway, this is nearly the perfect screen protector for me, the only problem is the fingerprint magnet. I'm looking forward to the new material with the anti-fingerprint next year from MediaDevil.

Another notable thing is that their customer support is very friendly and fast to response. I had some problems with my orders and they solved it very quickly.
The hinge method is definitely a good way to go. Worked extremely well for me too.

Reactions: flur

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Really strange but I got the Mediadevil screen protector (11") and immediately found the screen to be unresponsive in places (adjusting the brightness or volume in Control Centre was impossible). After a couple of hours I had to take it off.

Installation was painless and it looked and felt great. Face ID worked every time as expected.

I bought it through Amazon so a refund shouldn't be an issue, but I wanted to like this product so badly.

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Really strange but I got the Mediadevil screen protector (11") and immediately found the screen to be unresponsive in places (adjusting the brightness or volume in Control Centre was impossible). After a couple of hours I had to take it off.

Installation was painless and it looked and felt great. Face ID worked every time as expected.

I bought it through Amazon so a refund shouldn't be an issue, but I wanted to like this product so badly.
No issues without the protector in place?

WhoTheDevil

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
mediadevil.com

Hi Ade, we've sold quite a number by now and this is, sincerely, the only time we've heard of anyone experiencing an issue. Can you kindly drop us an email? (via our website, or simply reply to one of our emails). Perhaps your device could be affected more than the others in terms of the general screen issue. Many thanks, Callum
[doublepost=1543589295][/doublepost]
What case are you using?
Yes, good question. This general screen issue is so random that perhaps something like that could be of relevance.

leebroath

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Well, I’ve just got back from Offshore and installed the Mediadevil Screen Protector

And after using the terrible glass one for the last 2 weeks, this is honestly like night and day!

This is just fantastic and the screen is just so unbelievably responsive now, what a difference

Home run for Mediadevil, great product, 2 Films in the pack (in case you mess up the first), and a few fruit chews to munch on while trying to place the protector on.

No issues with Face ID either

Well done guys at MD, just well done !!

If you’ve been on the fence about buying this whether in UK, USA or anywhere in Europe just do it, it’s worth the money believe me.

Last edited:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
What case are you using?
No case at all.

Hi Ade, we've sold quite a number by now and this is, sincerely, the only time we've heard of anyone experiencing an issue. Can you kindly drop us an email? (via our website, or simply reply to one of our emails). Perhaps your device could be affected more than the others in terms of the general screen issue. Many thanks, Callum
[doublepost=1543589295][/doublepost]

Yes, good question. This general screen issue is so random that perhaps something like that could be of relevance.
Thanks Callum. That’s why I find it unusual. Like I say, I did my research (mainly on here) and I hadn’t read a single negative comment. It does seem very odd. The screen performs like a charm without the protector.

I completed the third party returns questionnaire on Amazon but haven’t heard anything from you. With hindsight, I wish I’d ordered direct from you.

I’ll drop you an email.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Yeah based on what I am seeing. If I take the iPad out of the folio, all is good but then again I just installed it last night so I will update as it’s morning now. Based on my short “scientific” testing, once the magnets are “activated” then that’s when I saw touch issues occur with the glass protectors. I will also try it in the folio with it plugged in as that will act as a ground like someone mentioned before. The previous glass protector I had which was I think the ESR brand, if I plug the iPad into the charger and also use the folio, there are no touch issues at all.
So yeah I can confirm that with the glass protector (tech armor and prob others) if the iPad is not in the Smart Keyboard touch is fine, if I put it back in the folio then there are touch issues. I also plugged in the iPad to a charger while in the folio and all is well with touch. Very odd that possibly the magnets when activated is what is causing the issues with the glass protectors. I could be wrong, if anyone wants a video I can record one. Other than that, just waiting for the Media Devil protector. Those that say it works, are you using a case like the smart folios?

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
So yeah I can confirm that with the glass protector (tech armor and prob others) if the iPad is not in the Smart Keyboard touch is fine, if I put it back in the folio then there are touch issues. I also plugged in the iPad to a charger while in the folio and all is well with touch. Very odd that possibly the magnets when activated is what is causing the issues with the glass protectors. I could be wrong, if anyone wants a video I can record one. Other than that, just waiting for the Media Devil protector. Those that say it works, are you using a case like the smart folios?
Yes I am. Works great!!!

Reactions: jjayr41

leebroath

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I receive my 11” Apple Smart Keyboard tomorrow so will do some testing as I now have the MD screen protector on

Last edited:

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I don't have any type of screen protector on my IPP11, yet. I've been holding off waiting to see what's going on with these strange issues.

To anyone here who has purchases glass from one or various companies, could everyone post what they bought and also what case they are using? We might be onto something with the whole magnet thing.

NeverInDoubt

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
Other than that, just waiting for the Media Devil protector. Those that say it works, are you using a case like the smart folios?
My MediaDevil screen protector has been tested with the iPad Pro 11 with no case or folio, with the ESR folio and with the Apple folio and the Apple Smart Keyboard. All positions, orientations, charging and working off iPad internal battery only.

No issues with the Magicscreen.... in any situation with Face ID, pencil or finger sensitivity or iPad responsiveness. Have now had it on for a week with either the Apple folio or keyboard attached.

Edit:just retested with ESR case and no case at all and also both Apple offerings. Everything still working fine.

Last edited:

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Glad I found this post, I was about to order my 2nd tempered glass, I am currently using iCares from amazon, face id works but having issues with some gestures/zooming /clicking sometimes, I thought it was the cold weather that my fingers were too dry. Watching youtube videos is so frustrating when i want to close the video by swiping it out...but it won’t. I thought it was the software. I hope there is an update for this on iOS.

Jhun80

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Why would there be an update?

There nothing wrong with the screen, it’s the glass protector which is causing all the issues
Maybe...

If they can increase the touch sensitivity, like the glove mode on some phones

Last edited:

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Oh, and in a novel and I think unique and rather unexpected trial, did have a psycho kitten jump on it with claws out....no issues other than my nervous breakdown. There you go Callum, kitten proof!
But has your kitten chewed on it yet? My six-month-old kitten is having a toothy phase.

MikeSeeH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
I have bad news :(

Got my MediaDevil this week and I was super happy until now.
The glass screen protector I had before was not working at all (with or without case).

The MediaDevil works great without case and 99% okay if you hold the iPad in the hand.

Today I am working from a cafe with the iPad on the table and I was noticing a really bad touch response. After playing around it looks like this:
  • Touching the screen with only one finger: missing half of the touches
  • Touching the screen with one finger AND touching the metal frame with the other hand (even slightly): works perfectly

So it seems the iPad needs some grounding to work!

Can anyone confirm this?

So far still happy with the MediaDevil (will not remove it for now) but it’s not perfect and really annoying if you are not touching the iPad frame when you are in certain conditions.

Will try to make a video when back home.

teerexx52

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I have bad news :(

Got my MediaDevil this week and I was super happy until now.
The glass screen protector I had before was not working at all (with or without case).

The MediaDevil works great without case and 99% okay if you hold the iPad in the hand.

Today I am working from a cafe with the iPad on the table and I was noticing a really bad touch response. After playing around it looks like this:
  • Touching the screen with only one finger: missing half of the touches
  • Touching the screen with one finger AND touching the metal frame with the other hand (even slightly): works perfectly

So it seems the iPad needs some grounding to work!

Can anyone confirm this?

So far still happy with the MediaDevil (will not remove it for now) but it’s not perfect and really annoying if you are not touching the iPad frame when you are in certain conditions.

Will try to make a video when back home.
Wow! Haven't even received my MediaDevil yet to try but this is certainly bad news.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017

I would love to see a video of it. I like the idea o the magnet folios though historically I have only ever used clip in cases.