Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
I have bad news :(

Got my MediaDevil this week and I was super happy until now.
The glass screen protector I had before was not working at all (with or without case).

The MediaDevil works great without case and 99% okay if you hold the iPad in the hand.

Today I am working from a cafe with the iPad on the table and I was noticing a really bad touch response. After playing around it looks like this:
  • Touching the screen with only one finger: missing half of the touches
  • Touching the screen with one finger AND touching the metal frame with the other hand (even slightly): works perfectly

So it seems the iPad needs some grounding to work!

Can anyone confirm this?

So far still happy with the MediaDevil (will not remove it for now) but it’s not perfect and really annoying if you are not touching the iPad frame when you are in certain conditions.

Will try to make a video when back home.
That’s not good. Luckily my MediaDevil has been flawless in all situations.

Reactions: leebroath

WhoTheDevil

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Hi all, I'd be happy to make a video showing our iPads with the protectors on them and the Folio case also? These are the protector designs I signed off, so they were applied 2 weeks ago before any shipped out to customers. There's no reduction in performance since the day they were applied.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
Going through amazon japan, I’m seeing many similar touch sensitivity issues even for plastic films made by Japanese manufacturers. Looks like this static electricity/magnet mess is not limited to glass protectors.

Reactions: teerexx52

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
anyone not using their mediadevil 10 or 15% coupon that wants to share? :)

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018

Here you go, works perfectly :)
Not to be picky, but you didn’t really test the biggest issue. Prop up your iPad in stand mode with the folio, go into any safari page, scroll up and down on the right side of the screen slowly and quickly

WhoTheDevil

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Not to be picky, but you didn’t really test the biggest issue. Prop up your iPad in stand mode with the folio, go into any safari page, scroll up and down on the right side of the screen slowly and quickly

Ah, my bad, I wasn't aware that's an issue people are experiencing. Ok, I've tested it and it's working perfectly. I'm going back to the office as it's the only place I have decent lighting and will post a video in the next 2hrs. If anyone has anything else they'd like to see, please let me know in the next 60 mins or try to hold your peace for about 1.5 weeks as I'm away on supplier visits :)

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
Ah, my bad, I wasn't aware that's an issue people are experiencing. Ok, I've tested it and it's working perfectly. I'm going back to the office as it's the only place I have decent lighting and will post a video in the next 2hrs. If anyone has anything else they'd like to see, please let me know in the next 60 mins or try to hold your peace for about 1.5 weeks as I'm away on supplier visits :)

My main concern with a soft plastic protector over glass is use with the pencil. I worry over time there can be indentations or spots with excess wear from drawing or sketching. Besides that, does it add any glare or alter color compared to not having a protector.

MikeSeeH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
If anyone has anything else they'd like to see, please let me know in the next 60 mins or try to hold your peace for about 1.5 weeks as I'm away on supplier visits :)

Thanks Callum for working with us on this problem!

I have created a short video showing the problem:
The iPad is in the MoKo case with magnets available on Amazon. I think it’s sold from different brands.

If I only use my finger you see the stuttering. When I touch the iPad frame with my other hand it works.

Thanks,
Mike

WhoTheDevil

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Thanks Callum for working with us on this problem!

I have created a short video showing the problem:
The iPad is in the MoKo case with magnets available on Amazon. I think it’s sold from different brands.

If I only use my finger you see the stuttering. When I touch the iPad frame with my other hand it works.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the Video Mike! Ok, that was more rigorous than I'd tested myself. I tried it again (even faster than yours) with the official Apple Folio case and it's remarkably responsive.

It's really interesting that you're experiencing the issue with a 3rd-party case. I saw one of our customers mention above that he has no issues and he's using the official Apple folio case. If you're near an Apple store it could be worth dropping in and hijacking a case for a few minutes?

See attached this photo I just took, there are many dark black objects. That is how many magnets are in the back section of the Apple folio case (and there are more still in the uncovered area!). It's an incredibly complicated setup of alternating polarity magnets, and, unless Apple is trolling accessory companies to allow them to keep their own case sales high, there must be a reason for it.

Image%202018-12-01%20at%207.46.45%20PM.png

I think it's a fair bet that the Chinese factories don't have the same magnet setup as Apple, firstly because it would be very hard to get this right before the device went on sale (they get their device information from blueprints and device chassis that get stolen from the factories and sold on to the highest bidders), and secondly, because most factories don't have a very long-term view and there's a lot they would be willing to do to reduce their cost pricing by e.g. $0.10-$0.20, because that's a huge amount of money when you're making tens of thousands of folio cases and it gets them more immediate sales and profits. Neodymium magnets are expensive, so there are much savings to be made.

MikeSeeH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
I only tried it rigorously to show the effect in a short video ;)
Interestingly, it seems to get better/worse depending on the type of floor/shoes I wear. I assume this is related to closing the circuit against ground? ... when I put the iPad on a rubber style mat it nearly does not work at all with using a finger but the pencil still works.

Will try to make another video. Also with the Apple Smart Keyboard attached.
I am hesitating to remove the screen protector to make the same tests naked ... too expensive for an experiment ...

scillerraika

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
The main issue I found with screen protectors is on the Ipad Pro 11". I currently have both 12.9 inch and 11 inch, none of the tempered glass screen protector affects apple pencil usage. However, on the 11" the finger touch responsiveness is greatly diminished when using a tempered glass screen protector. On the 12.9" I never had any finger touch issues after applying the tempered glass screen protector.

I will also add that I have the Apple smart folio case on the 11" and Apple smart folio keyboard on the 12.9". I do see that the touch responsiveness is particularly affected when the Ipad Pro 11" is in the standing position or laying flat on the table. The touch responsiveness problem fades away when I'm holding the Ipad Pro 11" in one hand and using it with the other. There is also a weird case were if I put 1 finger anywhere on the bezels, and use the screen with my other hand would greatly reduce the touch problems also. Once again, the 12.9" Ipad Pro doesn't seem to have any of these issues.

Both screen protectors are installed "perfectly", no dust or air bubbles. I can't say why it is happening but from the forum posts I've seen, it seems more prominent on the Ipad Pro 11. My speculation is that it has to do with the new arrays of magnet on the back of the Ipad Pros. The Ipad Pro 11 is particularly affected because there is a higher "magnet per inch?".

Just wanted to report somethings I noticed.

MikeSeeH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
Using the Apple Smart Keyboard as cover and holding it in the hand (only from the back, not touching the frame) it works much better. I assume the material is more conductive?!?

Here are the new videos ...
Same underground as first video with Apple Keyboard works:

3rd party case / rubber underground. nothing works:

3rd party case / rubber / pencil. all good:

Apple Keyboard / rubber. not good but better:

So ... Callum, does it make sense to test without the screen protector?

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
Wow. This may be one of the best threads I've read on issues like this. Pretty interesting stuff so far. Will definitely keep monitoring to see how it ends up, and go from there on buying a protector. Thanks everyone!

NeverInDoubt

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
I only tried it rigorously to show the effect in a short video ;)
Interestingly, it seems to get better/worse depending on the type of floor/shoes I wear. I assume this is related to closing the circuit against ground? ... when I put the iPad on a rubber style mat it nearly does not work at all with using a finger but the pencil still works.

Will try to make another video. Also with the Apple Smart Keyboard attached.
I am hesitating to remove the screen protector to make the same tests naked ... too expensive for an experiment ...

Just tested my iPad Pro 11/MediaDevil combination again with the Apple folio cover in both its table supported positions and also hand holding ( not touching iPad chassis) Touch/ pencil only contact on screen unless hand holding and holding the case, not the iPad chassis. Not on charge when tested. Scrolling and responding perfectly, no misses in either orientation.

Ditto the Apple Smart Keyboard, no issues at all with my iPad. The only 3rd party case I have tried is the ESR ( initial no pencil compatibility version, no magnets other than for sleep/wake function) and I just tried that again... again no issues no matter how the iPad/ case were held or supported.

Have absolutely no vested interest in MediaDevil but my iPad Pro 11 and my MediaDevil Magicscreen protectors are working happily together.

Not doubting in any way issues reported...beginning to wonder if there are individual iPad hardware anomalies to give such differing results.

Last edited:

MikeSeeH

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2018
Have absolutely no vested interest in MediaDevil but my iPad Pro 11 and my MediaDevil Magicscreen protectors are working happily together.

I also think the way to go is MediaDevil + Apple Smart Folio or Smart Keyboard.
Handhold (with and without touching the frame) and normal desk usage (no rubber mat) works perfectly.

I only tried the rubber mat as (by chance) I found out that its not working on my other work desk and to help to find the reason what’s going on. For normal usage I am now super happy with the MediaDevil + Apple cover combo.

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
Just a word of caution. Do NOT try and use any of the glass screen protectors currently available for the new iPad Pros. The touch response becomes SERIOUSLY wonky. It is so bad I thought I had a hardware issue with my brand new 11" iPad Pro.
I dont have a problem with mine.

iZollo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I am having the same issues with my 12.9 anyone else having the touch issues with the 12.9? I am using the ESR glass protector and the apple Smart Keyboard folio. When i scroll with the Smart Keyboard attached i have the touch issues and even when i am holding the ipad with no case same issues. I had no issues when i used the ipad with no protector for a week. So the 12.9 has the same issues or maybe its just mine?

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
I am having the same issues with my 12.9 anyone else having the touch issues with the 12.9? I am using the ESR glass protector and the apple Smart Keyboard folio. When i scroll with the Smart Keyboard attached i have the touch issues and even when i am holding the ipad with no case same issues. I had no issues when i used the ipad with no protector for a week. So the 12.9 has the same issues or maybe its just mine?
I had exactly the same issues, but with a JETech glass screen protector. Screen worked fine without. I now have the MediaDevil on and haven't experienced any issues so far.

Reactions: iZollo

NeverInDoubt

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
For my sins, I’ve just successfully completed another MediaDevil MagicScreen screen protector installation on a second brand new iPad Pro 11. For a niece, formerly had a Sparin glass protector on that had major responsiveness issues.

Fully tested the MediaDevil installation in every conceivable combination with or without Apple folio, Apple Smart Keyboard and finally an ESR original clip on case/folio. No issues whether sitting on a table or handheld, charging or not.

As an aside, again used the ‘hinge method’ which really makes installation much easier.

Be warned, those with families...if the word spreads that you’ve done a decent installation with a good protector......that’s 4 different MediaDevil protectors (iPad Pro plus 3 iPhones) I’ve now had to fit in a day! Fruit chews were definitely needed.

FenrirWolf

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2018
Adelaide
For my sins, I’ve just successfully completed another MediaDevil MagicScreen screen protector installation on a second brand new iPad Pro 11. For a niece, formerly had a Sparin glass protector on that had major responsiveness issues.

Just curious when installing is it more like plastic screen protector or glass? Like glass I mean like it goes out nicely with very little air bubbles.

I ordered mine on Friday and they seem to have shipped it and now waiting. I’m using a glass screen protector with a cheap ebay snap on case(no magnets) and I seem to have touch problems and hoping that the MD wone would solve it. Touch seem to be okay when I’m holding the ipad with both hands and its not on any surface though... very weird and inconsistent issue.

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Just curious when installing is it more like plastic screen protector or glass? Like glass I mean like it goes out nicely with very little air bubbles.

I ordered mine on Friday and they seem to have shipped it and now waiting. I’m using a glass screen protector with a cheap ebay snap on case(no magnets) and I seem to have touch problems and hoping that the MD wone would solve it. Touch seem to be okay when I’m holding the ipad with both hands and its not on any surface though... very weird and inconsistent issue.
Its in between a glass protector and a film protector. More like a film, but thicker.

I had absolutely no issues with bubbles...and those that did appear during the install i managed to get out in seconds. Its a great product!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.