iPad Pro CAUTION! New iPad Pro 11” (Glass Screen Protector) Issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anaudiopro, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    So I have the AMFilm on my iPad right now, but does anyone know if there is a good glass protector or that is only 0.24mm or just thinner a bit than the 0.33mm AMFilm, Zagg, JeTech, and so many others use? If one does exist... anyone think having such thin protective glass work better, or is glass maybe the issue somehow? :0
    I have a suspicion that maybe the thin 5.9mm mixed with 120hz refresh tech, magnets, and the Liquid Retina May be some of the culprits.

K.

2. donster28 macrumors 68000

3. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Anyon try this cover, is it thinner than 0.33 (like as thin as 0.24?)
    Thanks.

Kallum.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    Only issue is that it is the same thickness as most of the problematic covers we have now. :/

4. Superrenz macrumors member

Superrenz

Not so on Amazon Germany. Reviewer has the same sensitivity problems like any other glass protector.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 ---
    Not on Amazon Germany. Same problems reported.

5. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

6. cssywith1i macrumors newbie

cssywith1i

My own good news to report:

I was fed up and took off JETech for a couple of days to test on the bare screen sensitivity of iPad 11, was a relief to know the iPad itself wasn’t defective... Then I couldn’t wait for the shipping from MD so I ordered a bunch of other 1-day shipping TGSPs from Amazon, including Tethys (also on my wife’s iPhone, I dig them), another JETech (old version since I hate exposed cameras and I didn’t have issue with Face ID anyway), and an ESR (x3 package as a backup).

So today they arrived together and I randomly picked Tethys one. It attaches more easily than the JETech and didn’t require any effort to get the Facd ID camera area adhere perfectly like JETech had demanded. Unfortunately the oleophobic surface is 8/10 compared to JETech’s 10/10. I assume it has a better adhesive applied compared to JETech.

Didn’t set my hope high but so far after 2 hours of testing, swiping up, down, from edges, typing and playing some games that used to have touch issues like frequent accidental double taps, I am happy to say that somehow the touch issues are all gone. Will watch closely for next couple of days if any issue arises and I’ll report back. These paragraphs are typed on iPad screen btw, no issues either.

7. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

So the tethys one is 8/10 in what way, (like the smoothness when touching it or what?) and you are using the tethys one not the JETech?
    And so far no missed typed letters?

Kallum.

8. cssywith1i macrumors newbie

cssywith1i

Yeah I’m on Tethys. The coating is as smooth but not so resistant to finger oils. Although it’s much better than bare screen, JETech is superior in that it attracts less oil in the first place, and with tiny bit of oil left behind, one wipe it becomes completely clean. On Tethy it requires a little more effort to clean.

I think the smoothness and oleophobic function is the only reason I still bother with a screen protector. I strictly use iPad with my fingers so the bare screen is unbearable and looks gross after 5 min of gaming or 30 min of tapping/swiping. Worst of all, it takes 50x more efforts to wipe clean by my guesstimate. I miss 2nd gen iPad on which I didn’t even think about covering its screen with anything.

Unfortunately, the double taps in game came back. Very obvious in comparison to my 3-day testing on bare screen. Swiping and tapping don’t seem to be affected outside the game though since I’m typing all these words without noticing any lack of response. I’ll give it another day. If it still acts up in game I’ll move on to esr, if it should fail again I’ll move back to JETech and call it a day. At least I get the best oleophobic coating I’ve seen so far.

9. danb1979 macrumors member

danb1979

So glad I've found this thread!

I've just received my new 11" iPad Pro and installed a JTech glass protector on to it, as I have done with all previous iPads, but this time around it's stuttery and if the ipad is flat, or at a slight angle, the screen becomes more or less useless!

Now, I rarely have the iPad at these angles, so I've been doing ok, but I was wondering if my iPad had a screen/software glitch!

I won't be removing mine though; my fingertips are very rough from the chalk I use with training (powerlifting, stone lifting etc) and the screen will get scratched in no time at all, so more than happy to have a little issue here and there rather than a marked screen, which would do my tree in!

10. Lianghee macrumors newbie

Finally received the screen protector from MediaDevil after two weeks. Just got it installed yesterday and have been testing it. No more touch sensitive issue!! Really glad that I have found this thread and Mediadevil product. I have wasted hundred of dollars on at least 4 tempered glass screen protectors (bought locally in Singapore) and non of them worked.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

11” or 12.9”?

12. BraeburntPie macrumors newbie

BraeburntPie

I received it yesterday! I’ve used my iPad bare on my lap, on a table, in bed, with or without the case and there’s no issue. I even made a note and drew lines with a ruler to make a before and after. I’m happy with my purchase and I must say it’s more assuring doing business with a UK company and not a generic brand you can’t trace anywhere besides an Amazon listing. The screen is still sharp as ever.

It really makes you wonder what on earth they’re doing that makes the 11" have such issues with protectors when the only difference should be screen size.

13. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

for those who are using the 12.9 successfully w/ a glass protector- can you link your purchase here for us/me?
    thanks, appreciate it.

14. hemon macrumors regular

This work 100% with pencil, Face-ID etc. but I habe no Folio to try: IVSO Panzerglas Schutzfolie Für Apple iPad Pro 12.9 2018 Mit der Gesichts-ID Arbeiten, 9H Härte, 2.5D, Glas Panzerfolie Displayschutzfolie Für Apple iPad Pro 12.9 Zoll 2018 Modell, (1 x) https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07H2Y5H3V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tCRcCbR24C3V0

15. NeverInDoubt macrumors member

Two weeks on, my MediaDevil protector/iPad Pro 11 combo is also still working perfectly.

16. 612kimx1853 macrumors newbie

Don’t see the media devil on amazon anymore. Anyone know if they are sold out?

17. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Just received my MediaDevil for my 12.9 today. I have installed it and so far so good. Will report back after a few days.

18. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

I'd do MediaDevil if it were glass, but alas... it is not. :/
    I bought a new cover that is only 0.26mm, it's supposed to arrive tomorrow, hopefully it works just 2-5% better than the AMFilm one and boom... it will be perfect.
    *Knock on wood.

Kallum.

19. BraeburntPie macrumors newbie

BraeburntPie

Out of curiosity, why do people go for glass over film? Is there really a large difference?

20. donster28 macrumors 68000

It has the same feeling as using the native iPad screen, meaning, it's like nothing is installed at all. It will even last longer than a plastic protector, it's more resistant to scratches and smudges and it can last the life of your iPad (if properly installed).

As for drop protection, I won't rely on a glass protector.

21. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

^^^This^^^
    Also it actually feels nicer than touching the actual iPad screen. It gives even more strength to the iPad's structure, it doesn't yellow over time and I can touch the screen without it pushing the LCD down and damaging pixels and it does protect against, scratches, bumps, drops (*knock on wood that mine continues to do so.) lol

Kallum.

22. Lianghee macrumors newbie

11”

23. flur macrumors 68020

flur

I’ve seen several reviews that say the glass protectors are more slick than the naked screen. I’ve avoided glass because of this.

24. donster28 macrumors 68000

It's brand dependent but generally speaking, it's not night and day.