Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I buy the ESR screen protectors for my devices and never had a problem. I have one for my new 12.9 on order, and should be here tomorrow, so I will report back if I have issues. I like having screen protectors because these seem to make the glass more slick, so it's easier to drag your fingers over it. These of course also help with smudges on the screen, as well as provide protection in event you have a drop.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I am using an iCarez matte (non-glass) screen protector and am having no issues with touch. There’s a notch in it where the front camera is but Face ID is not working. Doesn’t bother me not to have it working.

Matte screen protectors do make the display less crisp, but I have fuzzy eyesight so it doesn’t bother me like it does some people.
I tried this one and had the same issue with Face ID. It’s because there are actually four cameras or sensors and the screen protector covers three of them, and it’s not clear enough for the cameras to read your face.

Reactions: LibbyLA

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I tried this one and had the same issue with Face ID. It’s because there are actually four cameras or sensors and the screen protector covers three of them, and it’s not clear enough for the cameras to read your face.

Oddly, as crappy as my experience was with the one I was trying to use, FaceID was not a problem at all--the sensor array was seeing my face just fine.

Also oddly, I have a tempered glass protector on my XS Max, and it does not have either of these problems, even though the protector has no cutouts at all--the sensor array sees through the glass fine and no touch sensitivity issues either. This has to be because of the difference in tech between the OLED screen of the XS Max and the LCD screen of the iPad Pro.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Oddly, as crappy as my experience was with the one I was trying to use, FaceID was not a problem at all--the sensor array was seeing my face just fine.

Also oddly, I have a tempered glass protector on my XS Max, and it does not have either of these problems, even though the protector has no cutouts at all--the sensor array sees through the glass fine and no touch sensitivity issues either. This has to be because of the difference in tech between the OLED screen of the XS Max and the LCD screen of the iPad Pro.
The difference is the matte film v. the glass. The film is thin so there aren’t touch issues, but the texture obstructs the cameras.

I have to assume that Apple have changed something about the screen that prevents the touch from working properly with the glass over the top. I know some makers do an ultrathin glass—maybe that will work?

I usually don’t use any kind of screen protector, and I’ve never had issues. My Air 2 screen is spotless. I’m nervous about the pencil though.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2017
I wonder why none of the tech sites are running stores about how glass doesn't work on the new iPad Pros.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
I have the JeTech one right however I'm still waiting for my iPad Pro, will update you though.

I’ve read a comment on reddit that it breaks Face ID. Please let us know your experience.

Yeah me too. But I must admit, I’m now questioning whether I should try going without for the first time, especially given the issues people are having with the screen protectors on the new iPad Pro. I have two different types of protector on order, but they’re going to take 1-2 weeks to get here. I don’t know if I can last that long without opening my new toy!!

Seems many people don’t use protectors for their iPad pros. I’d be keen to see a poll of how many do (and don’t), and how many have had issues with scratching from using the Apple Pencil.

FWIW...I always use a case/sleeve/folio to protect the iPad. This IPP will be in the Apple keyboard folio.
[doublepost=1541639103][/doublepost]

When are you expecting to receive your IPP?

I have the 11inch iPad Pro and the JetTech screen protector. Perfect install best I've ever done, didn't even touch the screen with my finger before installing the protector.

I can confirm :

Face ID does not work at all, not even to set it up.

The touch responses are hit and miss. I'm glad I found this thread to know it isn't my iPad Pro that is the problem.

JetTech are sending all purchasers an email saying they will send a new version with a cutout for free. However, that doesn't say anything about the touch response being poor.

I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 right here too and it has a not so well applied JetTech glass screen protector and the touch response is perfect. Definitely something weird with either the new screens/ screen protectors or a combination of both. I didn't test the screen before it went on, but hopefully from what others have said its only when you put on a screen protector the problems occur.

Last edited:
Reactions: dspdoc

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have the 11inch iPad Pro and the JetTech screen protector. Perfect install best I've ever done, didn't even touch the screen with my finger before installing the protector.

I can confirm :

The touch responses are hit and miss. I'm glad I found this thread to know it isn't my iPad Pro that is the problem.

JetTech are sending all purchasers an email saying they will send a new version with a cutout for free. However, that doesn't say anything about the touch response being poor.
I think the longer I go without one at all, the more I won't care anymore. When the newness of having the new model wears off, I will not be so paranoid anymore.
[doublepost=1541700953][/doublepost]
I wonder why none of the tech sites are running stores about how glass doesn't work on the new iPad Pros.
I feel like techie sites are sometimes snobby about using screen protectors--like it's sacreligous or something. They probably don't care a whole lot. Or it just hasn't made the rounds yet. I'm trying to remind myself that these weren't technically designed to be used with screen protectors anyway and that I should just relax. It's hard this early in the game when I've only owned the thing for about 24 hours.

Reactions: lmyers

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
ESR Glass screen protector.

Face ID Error and reduced sensitivity of the screen.

Either no screens protector this time or a matte film.

Reactions: dspdoc

steelestar

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Just an update. The Orzero screen protector continues to work perfectly on my 11. Not a single Face ID/touch screen/pencil issue. Although there is no cutout, the sound/recording quality of the microphone is excellent.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I got one from Spigen. Has anyone tried that one?

I have the Spigen one, got it from Amazon. I've noticed that since I've bought it, there have been multiple bad reviews around a few topics:

1. They initially claimed it was a 2-pack, and people only got one. Then they quickly changed it to say there was only one in the box.
--> I saw the same thing, I have a screen capture of it too, actually. I got mine early on and was surprised when there was only one.

2. Covers the face ID camera.
--> It does indeed cover the face ID camera, as there is no hole cutout or punched through the glass for it. (A glass screen protector I got from another vendor had the hole). Personally, I like that it doesnt have a hole and covers the camera too. It doesnt seem to affect image quality when taking pictures, and face ID works just fine for me, unlike what others in the reviews have said. (This could be because I set up face ID AFTER I put the protector on).

3. Touch sensitivity is weird.
--> I initially thought my iPad was weird too, as it would sometimes not respond to light taps and swipes, especially near the edges. I've found that tapping such that the angle is more perpendicular tends to help the touch responsiveness (vs having my finger near parallel) with the glass. There is definitely a difference though comparing how this screen protector affects the iPad, vs how the same branded glass protector from Spigen seems to have no averse affects on my iPhone.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

I can confirm :

This is weird. I’ve been using Jetech protectors for ages now and never had a problem so I preordered one for the new 11 inch iPad.

Applied it last night and so far... no problems. Touch sensitivity doesn’t seem to have been affected at all. Typing on it now with no issues.

FaceID might be slightly... VERY slightly... impaired. That might just be my perception though. Certainly wouldn’t even notice if I wasn’t looking for it.

Davi/r

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
I think the longer I go without one at all, the more I won't care anymore. When the newness of having the new model wears off, I will not be so paranoid anymore.
[doublepost=1541700953][/doublepost]
I feel like techie sites are sometimes snobby about using screen protectors--like it's sacreligous or something. They probably don't care a whole lot. Or it just hasn't made the rounds yet. I'm trying to remind myself that these weren't technically designed to be used with screen protectors anyway and that I should just relax. It's hard this early in the game when I've only owned the thing for about 24 hours.

I feel the same way as you at least for the Apple Watch. I used my apple watch sport series 2 for around 6 months with a protector and then I took it off. Kept it that way all the way till the series 4 was announced and then sold it. haven't put one on my series 4 and won't (but I did just buy applecare since I workout and swim a lot with my watch and bang it against hard surfaces like the pool edges all the time).

With that being said I've always used TechArmor for their glass screen protectors and excellent replacement warranties for my phones and tablets. I have one on my iPhone X and I had one on my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 for nearly 3 years. It works great on my phone. But I was having touch sensitivity issued on my iPad Pro 1st gen since upgrading to iOS 11 strangely when it released. Then when I upgraded to iOS 12 almost all the touch issues disappeared. Then I sold my iPad and bought the new 12.9" pro.

I ordered this screen protector from TechArmor for my new iPad that I'll finally be able to play with tomorrow when I get home from my dorm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H448JKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesn't ship for over 2 weeks. So for the first time I'll be using an iPad without a screen protector. I specifically ordered this one because it has a notch for the sensors and I know TechArmor stands behind their products. I'll see how it goes without using a protector and may just return the screen protector when it arrives.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I feel the same way as you at least for the Apple Watch. I used my apple watch sport series 2 for around 6 months with a protector and then I took it off. Kept it that way all the way till the series 4 was announced and then sold it. haven't put one on my series 4 and won't (but I did just buy applecare since I workout and swim a lot with my watch and bang it against hard surfaces like the pool edges all the time).

With that being said I've always used TechArmor for their glass screen protectors and excellent replacement warranties for my phones and tablets. I have one on my iPhone X and I had one on my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 for nearly 3 years. It works great on my phone. But I was having touch sensitivity issued on my iPad Pro 1st gen since upgrading to iOS 11 strangely when it released. Then when I upgraded to iOS 12 almost all the touch issues disappeared. Then I sold my iPad and bought the new 12.9" pro.

I ordered this screen protector from TechArmor for my new iPad that I'll finally be able to play with tomorrow when I get home from my dorm: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H448JKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesn't ship for over 2 weeks. So for the first time I'll be using an iPad without a screen protector. I specifically ordered this one because it has a notch for the sensors and I know TechArmor stands behind their products. I'll see how it goes without using a protector and may just return the screen protector when it arrives.

I wore the original gen “Series 0” Apple Watch from the day it launched until the day the Series 4 came out, so about 3 1/2 years, coming up on 4 if I hadn’t finally upgraded. I managed to put ONE scratch in the screen that whole time. It was very faint and very hard to see if you weren’t exactly in the right direct light. Came from my wife’s diamond on her wedding ring lightly brushing against it on accident. Save for that one incident, that’s pretty good for a screen worn on my body all day every day, and constantly in danger of whacking into something. I tried putting a BestSkinsEver on my Series 4, but it started peeling off within 2 weeks so I ditched it and am now protector free again.

For my iPhones, I always use a screen protector. I toyed with not using one with my iPhone X and then heard the gorilla glass on that model was a lot less brittle but a lot more scratchable, so I stuck with tempered glass on that phone and on my XS Max too.

I didn’t start using tempered glass on my iPads until the Pencil came out, but honestly, the Pencil experience is negatively affected by screen protectors. I have been living with it, but what I can’t live with is the screen not registering input. So I think for the foreseeable future, I’m just using it bare like it was designed to be. I’m getting a refund from Amazon for the ones I purchased, so no big loss there.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
This is weird. I’ve been using Jetech protectors for ages now and never had a problem so I preordered one for the new 11 inch iPad.

Applied it last night and so far... no problems. Touch sensitivity doesn’t seem to have been affected at all. Typing on it now with no issues.

FaceID might be slightly... VERY slightly... impaired. That might just be my perception though. Certainly wouldn’t even notice if I wasn’t looking for it.

This is really weird. Some people have no issues, some people have some, some people lots. Yet seemingly using the same hardware and protector. We are both using the same model I assume (the 11inch) and yet your Face ID works mine doesn’t, your touch is perfect mine is sketchy. Also perfect application as well (much better than the application I did on my 10.5 inch which has no issues and is highly touch responsive) I can’t even tell it’s there the seal and alignment is so good.

I just hope it isn’t my iPad Pro itself. Has anyone had problems with a naked iPad yet?

I don’t really want to rip of the screen protector myself to test it until I have a replacement.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
This is really weird. Some people have no issues, some people have some, some people lots. Yet seemingly using the same hardware and protector. We are both using the same model I assume (the 11inch) and yet your Face ID works mine doesn’t, your touch is perfect mine is sketchy. Also perfect application as well (much better than the application I did on my 10.5 inch which has no issues and is highly touch responsive) I can’t even tell it’s there the seal and alignment is so good.

I just hope it isn’t my iPad Pro itself. Has anyone had problems with a naked iPad yet?

I don’t really want to rip of the screen protector myself to test it until I have a replacement.

Mine is on almost perfect... maybe over to the right slightly. Face ID might be struggling a tiny bit if it’s trying to recognise me at a bigger angle. Maybe there are just bad batches of the screen covers and I got lucky.

Have you tried really pressing it down..? Maybe if there’s some imperceptible space there it might reduce sensitivity?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
Mine’s the iCarez matte film, not glass, but I just got email from them saying they will be sending me replacements early next week. They suggested that I got the notch bigger but I can live without Face ID for a few days. My screen is responsive to the lightest touch, but again, it’s not a glass protector.

jbaugher

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
I purchased a ESR glass screen protector from Amazon for my 11” iPad. Came with 2 in package. Installed and was having trouble with Face ID. Also noticed touch not as sensitive. So removed and re applied the second one. So far it seems to be working properly. No trouble with Face ID or touch. Not sure why it works and the first time it did not.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast

I do not have a protector on mine as of yet. I ordered one due in next Tuesday. No problems at all with my iPad with no protector on it

Reactions: whitedragon101

lmyers

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
I couldn't take it anymore--I took the glass protector off. I was taking notes on my iPad for a meeting and needed to flip over to Twitter to answer someone on something so I was trying to screen-type my reply to them and it was missing every other letter I was typing. I can't use the iPad like this. I'm going to just trust that this keyboard isn't going to scratch my screen up.

Incidentally--that was my first screen-typing on this iPad because I didn't have much time to play around with it last night. It's GREAT! I thought the new bigger keyboard on the 10.5" model was a big improvement--this is even better!
Yep...me too mate. I can't wait any longer. I'm going to setup my IPP tonight and get started using it naked. By the time my JETech arrives I'll probably have passed the honeymoon period and won't care as much anymore. I may not even bother installing it given the documented issues.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Just an update. The Orzero screen protector continues to work perfectly on my 11. Not a single Face ID/touch screen/pencil issue. Although there is no cutout, the sound/recording quality of the microphone is excellent.
There's no way I am putting a solid piece of glass over one of the microphones. That is just silly to suggest people do that. LOL

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017

I can confirm :

I have a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 right here too and it has a not so well applied JetTech glass screen protector and the touch response is perfect. Definitely something weird with either the new screens/ screen protectors or a combination of both. I didn't test the screen before it went on, but hopefully from what others have said its only when you put on a screen protector the problems occur.
I have noticed some manufacturers are only concerned about the Face ID and not touch sensitivity too. Not smart.
[doublepost=1541714809][/doublepost]

No issues naked. Tons with glass!
[doublepost=1541714911][/doublepost]
I purchased a ESR glass screen protector from Amazon for my 11” iPad. Came with 2 in package. Installed and was having trouble with Face ID. Also noticed touch not as sensitive. So removed and re applied the second one. So far it seems to be working properly. No trouble with Face ID or touch. Not sure why it works and the first time it did not.
I think there is something different about these news screens that is making them very finicky with glass. Maybe it is the static from the screen that adheres it, I don't know. All I know is the manufacturers have to have them by now and need to address this. Maybe they need to make them even thinner. I am thinking I will go film if I can even find a good film. Anyone with links to good film for these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.