Caze "Zero 5" clear a "clear" winner for me.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TB07-NJ, Aug 16, 2010.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Got my CAZE "Zero 5" Clear case today and I think I finally have a winner. I still have the Belkin Micra coming from Apple but will probably sell it because the BIG BELKIN logo embossed on the back was a real fail for me. Case cost me $10 because I had $10 in "eBay bucks" so I figured if I didn't like it it wouldn't be a total loss.

This case was ordered off eBay and took 13 days from order to delivery from Hong Kong. It was sent by REGISTERED and fully trackable EMS mail so I had to sign for it.

When I first opened the package and pulled out the inner piece of plastic packaging from inside the main case I though it was empty and that I got an empty box. It is so clear and so light it was practically invisible. After pulling it apart the actual case fell out. It's like nothing but "air." My USB desk fan blew it off my desk. Also included is a front and back shield, a cloth and some cheezy "wallet sized stand" for the iPhone which falls over. :)

There were no mold marks or scratches on the case itself.

Anyway, as you can see from the pics I have a Gelaskin on my phone (which is in bad shape in itself so ignore that). The case snapped on easily and fit perfectly over the Gelaskin.

I have NO creaking but do see some "watermarking" caused by the Gelaskin against the clear case which can be expected. Being clear I am sure it will attract fingerprints and eventually scratches. If you don't want fingerprints or scratches get a TPU case.

Here are some photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/116819922812172177865/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCNj60Kz2vYXdZw&feat=email#

2. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

How is this really any different from the Ivyscam Reception? .02 thickness difference?

3. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Is it hard to put on/take off? And does it have any sort of lip on the front as opposed to the IvySkin?

4. nd4speed macrumors member

Interesting. It looks like it covers the top and bottom edges of the phone. Can you confirm? Thanks for the write-up and pics.

5. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I wouldn't buy the IVYscam if it were free. :rolleyes: No idea what the difference is but the "actual released" Ivyscam differed from the original pictures. From what I have seen of the IVYscam it is a different design. The flash cutout is definitely different. They are both clear. Does that make them the same? Does .02 make a difference? Yea, by .02. :)

6. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Easy to put on, harder (as it should be) to come off.

No lip. It comes right to the edge of the screen which doesn't bother me because:
    A) I have a SGP on it
    B) I don't lay it down on the front

Not sure exactly where you mean. I just added 2 pictures. Maybe that will answer your question.

7. nd4speed macrumors member

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Doesn't have "scam" in the company name.

9. chanerz macrumors 6502a

10. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

This case interests me. However, I do own the Reception case and I have to say that even after weeks (over a month) of everyday use, there is not one scratch to be found on the case. I owned a couple of clear cases for my 3g and 3gs in the past and they wound up being scratch magnets after a week or so.

I would be very interested in finding out if the Zero 5 holds up as well as the Reception.

11. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

That would for the most part depend on how the individual handles it. I think it would have very little to do with the case itself. Mine is always in my shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket. Rarely put on a desk or table and goes into a drop-in desk charger at night. One persons scratches is another persons scratch-free. A big YMMV.

12. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

For the most part I agree, but I am very "gentle" with my devices even with a case on. That being said, cases like the Griffin Reveal looked like crap after about a week. That's why I am so surprised how well the Reception has held up. I do put my device on a table often. I am always on the lookout for the next latest "thin" case, especially for the iPhone 4.

I like switching cases from time to time, and I am currently rocking a iFrogz Luxe Lean. I sold the Vapor the same day I received it (due to not being able to connect 3rd party items, and crappy BT signal). I like the Reception (though it does creak a bit and has no lay-on-table-protection), but like I mentioned, the Caze has always caught my eye.

Please stop by and give us an update after a few weeks of use.

Thanks.

13. silentsim macrumors regular

out of curiosity does this case cover the sides of the phone? Ie are the volume buttons and vibrate easily accessible?

does it fix "antennagate"

14. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

View the pics, they answer your questions. Any case solves "Antennagate" with the exception being the metal Vapor.

15. Bcarraher macrumors member

Bcarraher

Can this case be used with the TomTom iPhone car kit? I had an Incipio feather case on my 3GS and it worked but the feather for Iphone 4 does not.

16. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

My eyes are deceiving me!:eek:

In the original photos you posted the case looks like it covers the top and bottom of the phone.

The last two photos shows that it has the top and bottom exposed.:confused:

17. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

18. nd4speed macrumors member

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking. If you look closely at photo 5 you can see it's positioned screen side down. It's an optical illusion. :D

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Ah yes! Now that I know what I'm looking at, it is indeed.:D

20. anthdci macrumors 6502

i had a caze 0.5 for my 3GS, the corners cracked and it fell to pieces without being dropped, it wasnt just mine either, i ordered 3, 2 for colleges and theirs did exactly the same :mad:

21. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

So you bought 3 and all 3 of them simply fell apart? 100% failure rate. That's remarkable. Sorry, I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes: I'll bet you replaced them with IvySCAM Deception cases which are absolutely perfect.

22. anthdci macrumors 6502

correct 100% failure rate, according to Caze it was a faulty mould that caused it and they were waiting on a new mould being produced so they had none available, I couldn't wait so I got a switcheasy nude instead, as did one of the other people.

Ill see if I can dig out the photos of it.

23. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

The message you posted created a generalization that ALL cases would eventually fall apart because your 3 supposedly did.

Had you said they told you there was a problem and it was being corrected in the next production run your message might have been a little more believable.

24. anthdci macrumors 6502

well that can be said about any bad experience anyone has with a product. I had a bad experience with them so I am passing that on, simple as that. I'm sure if you had bad experience with a product you would let others know that are discussing it.

25. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Don't listen to these mutts, this is a great case. Got mine yesterday. Fits like a glove, very thin, no issues with signal, access to all buttons and controls, a case that does not take away from the design.

Hands down the best one I have seen thus far!