Cd-rw

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hotrod351, Apr 16, 2007.

1. hotrod351 macrumors 6502

hotrod351

well i just burned a couple of cds from itunes and found that they won't play in my radio shack cd player but will play in my sony dvd/cd player. they are cd-rw disc and when i used toast 7 to burn them it said that most players won't play cd-rw disc. i have a few cd-r but when i try to erase them it says that theres no disc in the tray. what am i doing wrong.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm... I don't understand what your questions are.

1) You have a player that won't play the disc. Do you have any evidence it has ever played a CD-RW? Most parsimonious explanation would be that it cannot play CD-RWs.

2) Erasing the CD-RW.... how are you trying to do it? Try using Disk Utility.

Also what kind of hardware? You have a tray? Is this on a Mac Pro? Not very many Macs have tray-loading drives....

3. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

what i have is a power mac g4 digital audio. but im using a iomega external burner to burn disc. im able to erase a cd-rw and record my music from my itunes playlist but a warning comes up and says that most players can't play cd-rw disc.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Read my #1 again.

Also if you haven't already done so, investigate whether Patchburn can be used to increase the compatibility of your drive with OS X.

5. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

im new to burning discs. what would be the most common used disc to burn music cds. like i said, im using a power mac g4 and burning on an external iomega burner.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, I'm sorry, I understand you now.

CD-R is a disc that can be recorded only once. It plays in almost any CD player.

CD-RW is a disc that can be recorded many times and erased. It does not play in all CD players.

You should buy some CD-Rs. They are very easily available. Brand is usually not too critical anymore.

7. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

ok, now i understand. a cd-r i can record music to, but only once, and the cd-rw i can record over and over again. isn't, and im sure there is, a way to erase a cd-r so it can be recorded on again.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, there is not.

CD-R = Compact Disc - Recordable
    CD-RW = Compact Disc ReWritable

CD-Rs are a one shot deal. Once the session is closed, there's no more writing to it. There is no possible way to erase it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, as far as I know, there isn't. It's a physical limitation (the method used to "burn" the disc using the laser in the drive) and not a software limitation. They're very, very cheap. Not that I promote unnecessary waste, but they are so cheap that needing to re-record them isn't such a big deal for most people.

10. hotrod351 thread starter macrumors 6502

hotrod351

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That warning seems to be correct then.

Use CD-Rs. And CD-Rs cannot be erased. Once they are written, that's it.