Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celebrity Power

• I am buying the watch after seeing a particular celebrity with it.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I would have bought the watch anyway.

Votes: 153 98.1%

• Total voters

ob81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I am wondering. Purely out of curiosity, how many of you are buying the Apple Watch because you saw celebrities like Beyonce and Pharrell with it?

njhorn

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
It makes sense. It's not for us geeks. Apple has had a problem with teenagers moving to android because their parents use iPhones and that is uncool. Having Beyoncé and others with watches is to try to make apple watches and iPhones cool to that age range again

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
If they're looking to inspire young people, they should have given watches to Grace Helbig and Pewdiepie. No, this is clearly aimed at people in their 40's.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
This poll won't reflect on the general public.

I think you are right to a degree Danny. The thing is, Apple has never marketed like this, and their products sell extremely well. Just how many other people are they getting to by marketing this way? I mean, you can't go anywhere with seeing an Apple product in the wild.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
You mean those rich people.

I'm not sure I ever purchased a product because I saw it on a celebrity

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
This poll is pretty much pointless. Very few people think, "Aha! Because Celebrity X has Product Y, I'm going to get one for myself." The point is to make it cool, or to subtly influence people's opinions. If you can see it for what it is -- a form of advertising -- it won't be effective, but most people aren't obsessively following Apple Watch-related news like we are.

Last edited:

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
People don't generally buy things simply because celebrities are wearing them… but if they're in the fence, celebrities provide confirmation.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
I doubt any of us nerds on an Apple Watch forum would have been convinced to buy a watch after seeing it on a celebrity, but the vast majority of the population would never even think of going on a forum for a watch or phone or computer.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes I was totally influenced by Katy Perry! Squeeee!

Actually the grain of truth is that it does help me, a very petite woman, to see the watch on other women. And it doesn't hurt that they are attractive celebrities who actually rock the look fairly well, like Christy Turlington does. I would have gotten the Apple Watch anyway, but I would have wondered if I looked like I was trying to revive the giant 80's style calculator watch look again. Seeing it on other women helps me get a sense of how it looks with a wide range of clothing styles, body types and images and helps me figure out how I can make my own watch look a bit more stylish and a bit less "big fat metal chiclet strapped to my wrist".

Similarly, I think even if they don't want to admit it, seeing male celebrities wearing unconventional color choices for bands lets some of the guys feel more freedom about going with a bold sport band or a style that is more unisex than strongly identifiable as masculine.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Wrong place to ask.

Celebrity influence is very real. It is a brilliant marketing tactic that will work heavily in Apple's favor. They are positioning the watch as the it item.

nenarek

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
I am buying somewhat reluctantly in spite of Apple's disgusting trend towards elitism.

Seeing products used by the 0.01% doesn't inspire aspirational feelings in me.

Nicklaus

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Winter Park
It is smart that they have Angela pushing this forward! Everyone says they don't follow celeb's fashion style but they do and it will sell watches. Tons of them, its very smart to connect tech and celebrity. Especially with the unique watches we can't have (even beyond edition) it makes the whole line more desirable. Classic luxury product game plan.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
Wait a second.

You started a poll ... on an Apple fan-site ... asking if people were influenced to buy Apple products ... based on celebrities wearing them?

On an Apple fan-site?

Seriously?

Look. The chances are that anyone using this site would have purchased the Watch regardless of whether Beyonce or Katy Perry or whoever else was seen wearing one. We're not the target market for that particular form of advertisement. We're tuned into the Apple ecosystem and buy Apple stuff because we like Apple stuff and trust Apple to provide us with a good experience.

These types of celebrity "endorsements" have little to no positive impact on our purchasing decisions because we're approaching this from a completely different frame of mind from the kind of person who is influenced by it.

And yes, there is a lot of power in celebrities wearing this product. It looks cool, and cool people have it. People are griping about how Apple is appealing to the 1% with the Apple Watch Edition, but the fact of the matter is this: I can buy an Apple Watch Sport for under $400 and it is, functionally, the exact same thing as the Apple Watch Edition, with its five-figure price tag, any of those celebrities is wearing. That's powerful.

Yes, you will likely never be able to afford or justify buying the exact same model of Watch you're seeing on these celebrities' wrists. But you can go online to the Apple Store and order a Sport or stainless steal Watch that does the exact same thing just as well.

Why do you think all these other tech companies try to get celebrities to endorse their products? If it didn't work, they wouldn't bother. The difference is, Apple is actually a strong enough brand with good enough products that celebrities won't be caught using their Moto 360 or Galaxy Gear in their personal life after showing off their Apple Watch in public.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Wait a second.

You started a poll ... on an Apple fan-site ... asking if people were influenced to buy Apple products ... based on celebrities wearing them?

On an Apple fan-site?

I agree. This poll can go down in history as the most biased poll of all time.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
Didn't sway me but it's a brilliant strategy. It is the cheapest and most effective advertising they can do. Influence the influencers. Just the fact that people that people idolize are posting pics on social media, kids will do the same which will make their friends want one etc. it isn't going to work with older people but it will make it cool For younger people and once they hit critical mass there they take the market and can up sell. So I think those celebrity editions will sell a ton of sport models to teens. That makes it cool and hip and that's most of the battle. It will also sell some editions with the people that want to have the same things as celebrities but I think the brilliance is what it will do for sport sales which will drive market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.