Cell Phone Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Aug 4, 2008.

?

What cell phone provider should I go with?

1. T-Mobile

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Verizon

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, long story short my mom kicked me off the family plan for some reason. She said she'd keep me on if I started paying and I told her "just say how much and when".

Anywho, I need to find my own cell phone plan. What's a good carrier to go with? I'm torn between going back with AT&T or switching to T-Mobile. Money is an issue, I'd like to get the best value.

T-Mobiles myFaves plan seems very attractive, is that worth it?

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The worst mobile phone company I've ever had is AT&T. Honestly, if not for the iPhone, I wouldn't suggest anyone ever use them. Basically the same story with Verizon, although not as horrific.

T-Mobile is the best I've ever had and Cingular was good. I've read consistently good reviews of Alltel but I've never had them personally.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Find out who has the best coverage. MetroPCS has few towers and bad reception.

You do realize Cingular is owned by AT&T. :p

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I know that T-Mobile's coverage is fantastic across the southeast...not sure how it is in your direction, it's been a while since I've been around your area.

The myfavs has been fantastic...I've had it for a while now. But pretty much any cell provider will offer free mobile-to-mobile (atleast from what I've seen)

So, it really depends on what provider most of the people you'll be talking are with as to whether or not myfavs will work for you.
    (If your calling landlines a lot...then go with t-mobile)
    (If a majority of your friends and family are with at&t, then go with them)

Hope this helps...it's always hard deciding for the first time. :D

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Yes, hence the past tense. I was just reminiscing about when there was more than one good choice for phones (Alltel isn't available in my area).

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i have att and i love it. i have service everywhere. now tmobile on the other hand sucks, my friend has it and every time he makes a call he has to walk up the street and be in the middle of it to get service. i can never get in contact with him. go for att

7. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I have verizon and I get reception everywhere. It really just depends where you live. I would reccommend just asking friends with different services on how their reception is in your area.

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I think I'm going to go with T-Mobile, their MyFave plan seems like a really good deal.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have AT&T and never had issues with them. I'm sorry if anyone hate them for whatever reason. They are pricier, but I know a lot people on AT&T, M2M is very useful.

T-Mobile, I've used; okay reception where I live, but they are good overall with nice prices and great CSRs.

Verizon, I hate because they kicked me out for using too much data on their unlimited laptop plan… they even tried to get to pay ETF--no way.

Sprint is good in reception and stuff, but they lost my money a few times, so I don't like them much.

FYI MyFavs is $5 extra per month.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would go with T-Mobile. Sure, they don't have the iPhone, but AT&T's customer service doesn't make up for the fact that they offer the greatest phone on the planet.

11. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I want an iPhone and besides my contract not yet being up with Verizon, the only other thing that keeps me from switching to AT&T is the sweet Verizon deals.

First of all, they have the best service in the North east, where you live. They have towers EVERYWHERE, because Verizon puts their towers in predictable and unpredictable locations (AT&T and I'm sure others only do Cities and Suburbs - the odd time you are not in either category, service may be terrible).

Second, their free phones are some of the best I've ever seen, especially at this time as so many iPhone competitors are arriving, last years $200 phone is now free with a new 2 year contract.

Third, their IN program is fantastic and free once you are a VZW member. Unlimited Nights and Weekends, Free VZW Mobile to Mobile, $10 per month for unlimited VZW to VZW texting and 500 texts to other phone companies. This is the thing I will miss the most if the switch to AT&T occurs.

If money is tight, Verizon is the way to go.

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ok before I make any final decisions, I'm going to make a poll, and you can vote on which provider I should go with.

The reason I've been hesitant about Verizon is because I'm not really liking their rates, they seem expensive. The MyFave plan looks very attractive just because there are just a couple people that I like to talk to a lot on the phone and I can't afford a zillion minutes.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

att has VERY similar benefits fyi

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Verizon is awful. They lock down all their phones and load them up with their own proprietary OS, which is a complete piece of ****.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea that is true. at least with att you can make ringtones for free

16. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Is that possible with T-Mobile? It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice.

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My experience with ATT has been all good since switching from Sprint on the roll out of the 1st iPhone...

In my area though the best coverage is thru Verizon... especially in the Metro Rail tunnels right now...

18. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I just got my new T-Mobile account setup. I got a RAZR with a 300 minute MyFave plan and 400 text messages. The only problem is, I cant text for crap on the keypad, I got so used to the full keyboard on the iPhone. I'm very tempted to unlock instead of selling. :eek:

Here's me and my happy face.

Attached Files:

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Why did you pick the RAZR of all phones? Anything's better than a Motorola. Hell, you could've even gotten a nice unlocked GSM phone for not too much. Or you could even unlock your iPhone if you're not that invested in getting Genius Bar support.

20. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

It was free. :D
    I unlocked my iPhone, can't stand texting on a regular keypad, and I'm gonna use it unless I get a good offer. Though i'd really like an 8 gig. Anyone wanna trade? :p

21. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

That should be illegal. By getting a free RAZR, they own you for two years when you could've gotten one unlocked and SIM free for $100. And still, that's the worst free phone you could've picked.

22. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

What's wrong with Motorola? Why all the hate? Sure, it's no iPhone but it's a pretty decent phone.

23. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

It's not Motorola that's the problem, it's the cellcos. They gave you a phone worth $100, and you agreed to use it for at least two years or pay $200 to leave when you could've paid the actual $100 for the phone and use the service however long you wanted to without any consequences in leaving them. You bought into a scam.

24. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Verizon Verizon Verizon.

I've had Verizon for about 6 years (the only cell carrier I've ever had, admittedly) and haven't had a lick of trouble with any of their services. I have their old pre-pay plan, but the service and features are still good.

Verizon lets you talk to any other Verizon phone free - no minutes or charge. My account is free long-distance anywhere in the world (not sure about other plans tho) and for rural areas you simply can't beat their network, reception and coverage are better than the others hands down.

The only bad thing is the interface they stick on some of their phones. Sucks. But the service is good. Once, I had accumulated like 5 hours of time over the months, and then due to a personal reason my account lapsed and when I called them and explained it to them, the technician reinstated my account at no charge and gave me all my minutes back. Me happy after that.

I like the iPhone, but wouldn't leave Verizon to get it - sweet phone but coverage sucks so what's the use?

Go with Verizon.

25. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Yeah...not to mention, the razr breaks (at the hinge) very easily.

The part that is exposed next to the pin cap is the thickest part of the tube that is held on with the pin (yes, the pin is actually that thick...not to mention wires and other things that have to connect the screen with the bottom half) If you're heavy with the phone, I would consider trading it in within your 30 day trial period. Other than that, though...a mass majority of people have been satisfied with the razrs.

Enjoy your new plan! :D