Cell Phones Are Causing cancer?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eljanitor, Jun 1, 2011.

?

How often do you use your cell phone each day?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2011.
  1. 1-7 hours a week with a handsfree device.

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. 1-7 hours a week without a handsfree device.

39 vote(s)
    47.6%
  3. 7-30 hours a week with a handsfree device.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. 7-30 hours a week without a handsfree device.

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. 30-40 hours a week with a handsfree device.

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. 30-40 hours a week without a handsfree device.

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. 40+ If you could you would like to have it surgiclaly integrated into your body somehow.

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

This is old news. The radiation released by electronic devices causes cancer.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The findings are pretty inconclusive and seem more like a CYA exercise: the report suggests an increased risk can't be ruled out but there is no conclusive evidence to clearly establish a link between mobile phone use and brain cancer.
    They have classified mobile phone usage in the same "possibly carcinogenic" category as Coffee so draw your own conclusions from that...

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Oh no... another thing to kill us all. If all of these reports were true, people would have died out long ago.

If I stay inside and use electronics: cancer!
    Go outside into the sun: cancer!
    Go out at night: cancer!
    Sweetener in coffee: cancer!
    Make a phonecall: cancer!

At some point, we have to realise that not all of these can possibly that bad for you because people are not made up entirely of different forms of cancer.

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I always chose a phone with a low SAR rating and use bluetooth when im going to be on it for longer than say 10 minutes. The positioning of phone antennas to the bottom of the handset instead of the top also helps reduce exposure i believe.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Seriously, some people need to read these studies more carefully than just the headline. There are tons of things that do or may cause cancer. Most of them just increase your risk, and a good many do it when used in excessive amounts.

For goodness sake, people, the sun causes cancer. Ask my dad, he'll tell you. Hell, if you really want cancer from the sun, just jump out of Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field and get yourself hit with some of that pure solar radiation.

The key is to not stick your phone against your ear for hours upon hours every day. Some people may think Bluetooth headsets make you look like a prick, but they're quite useful and will reduce the limited cancer risk cellphone radiation causes. Plus I hate holding a phone up to my ear for more than a couple of minutes. I'll at least find my earbuds with the mic.

7. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Basically authorities are turning to the "safe side" and issue reports saying that maybe possible perhaps, mobile radiation is carcinogenic.

But if you look into all those political reports, they always say that no scientifically proven effect has been found.

If nothing has been found why the report? Just in case.
    If 10-20-30 years along the line somehting happens, authorities can argue "we told you so".

I think it's irresponsible.
    Pd. I'm a scientist. Show me a single article or peer-reviewed work in which a link is found between pathogenesis and mobile phone.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Wow, some people need to take their own advice. I stated in my post that they can't all be that bad for you. This means they can still do harm. I'm aware that the sun causes cancer. Also, for your headset advice, that would simply result in cancer in another part of your body, most likely you're genitals, as the phone would be in your pocket.

Lighten up.

9. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

And you know this, how?

10. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

The cynic in me thinks "research scientists saying more research is needed - no conflict of interest there!". The scientist in me thinks "what's the mechanism whereby tiny quantities of non-ionising radiation at a frequency poorly absorbed by body tissue affects body tissue?" and "where are all the excess cancer cases?"

I still think the distraction of using a mobile phone is FAR more dangerous than any radiation effects.

11. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Lot's of scientist saying more research is needed or that there's no work to date that links phones and cancer work for public institutions and have no conflict of interest whatsoever. Hell, I research HIV in a state-funded institution.. I couldn't care less about how well or bad mobile phone manufacturers do. What I really dislike is people talking without knowing a thing about research, or institutions that prefer to be on the political safe side rather than sticking to the facts.

I agree with you on the distractions phones cause. Lot's of accidents and traffic death. Certainly a lot more than deaths by mobile phone-induced cancers :D

12. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My uncle was an early phone adaptor, he could talk for hours. After a couple of years he developed a lump on the inside of the ear he talked most frequently on. He uses headsets now. It definetly does affect your body, but how, no one knows.

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

and what exactly was that lump? was it biopsied?

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Huge spike in mobile phone usage, but no corresponding spike in cancer.

Besides, the WHO report classes the risk from phones to about the same risk as coffee. Basically they are saying that there is no strong evidence but they cannot eliminate the possibility that mobile phones cause cancer. That is not the same thing to a scientist as saying mobile phones do cause cancer. The means 'we think it unlikely that mobile phones cause cancer but we don't know for sure'.

15. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

Sad thing is in one of my classes one of my professors said men who kept smart phones in their front pocket while usong bluetooth headsets had lower sperm counts then men who kept thier phones in a shirt or coat pocket. The professor had no idea who she was talking to. By the end of the year every guy in the class had a smartphone they kept in their front pocket. Fertility is a bad thing it turns out in college

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't know if it's true or not but i try best to avoid it (ie: not sleeping with phone on bed ... Alarm clock purposes for those who were wondering).

OP, what do you mean in your poll? Like talk time only or using phone for everything.

17. LAnMarc macrumors member

LAnMarc

You could just as easily say that men with lower sperm counts keep smart phones in their front pocket while using bluetooth headsets, and other men keep their phones in a shirt or coat pocket. :D

18. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I believe the iphone manual itself recommends something like keeping it at least 5/8" away from the body. I think most smartphone users do that (via either using a bluetooth headset or being on speaker or surfing/texting versus actually talking).

Having said that, tomorrow a study will come out reversing this finding. I agree there are far more incidents related to texting and driving.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

While I'm not an alarmist about this, you'd have to be crazy to think you can use and transmitter/receiver that close to your brain for days/weeks without having any side effects.

20. jbro1999 macrumors regular

How come the question says "each day" but all the answers say "a week" :)

21. err404, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

Why do you say that?
    There is good science suggesting that cell phones are safe. The crux of the argument is that the power level of cellular radiation is to physically to low to break the bonds of a DNA molecule. However unpredicted interactions may also be at play. Signals may overlap to increase their effective strength (the basis of the recent report) or our bodies may simply react to the signals in other undermined ways.
    This is extremely difficult to study since heavy users of cell phone likely have other similar habits affecting the outcome. It's a classic example of correlation not implying causation.
    There just isn't enough information yet to justify augmenting heath policy. Still feel free to cut back on your usage if you are worried.

22. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

The various Fukushima radioactive isotopes are doing much more to kill you. Your water and food is contaminated more each day. The rain and very air is deadly now.

Why worry about a cell phone signal?

23. synagence macrumors 6502a

Check out some of the radiation infographics .... they're pretty good .... but even if scientists say that cell-phones give a 40% increase in the risk of cancer its still pretty meaningless since you've no idea what you're 'risk' actually is ....

If the risk is 0.05% of developing type 'x' of a cancel then a 40% increase would only still be 0.07%

I'll take my chances!!!

24. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Because the radiation effects accumulate over time. Why add more to it?? :mad:

25. seble macrumors 6502a

Well, no one knows, after he used a headset it went down a lot, but he was too scared to have it checked out.