Cell providers will be required to install special chips in portable devices: views?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seble, May 12, 2011.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

What are your views on this: American phones will be required tohave a chip installed which can receive messages from the government. What are your views?

Full article here

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

It's not like the government is tracking u, the chip isn't just for that purpose it just also has that capability. My take is a good one the meggages are only for emergancys, and it can help in case of an attack and I welcome it. The iPhone probably has it already, if not well I hope they put it in.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Honestly, I'm a-ok with them wanting to let me know if something important were to occur. If it did more than that I'm sure some privacy watchdog grou would find out and inform the public.

Attached Files:

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Can't wait for someone to hack that and start sending out messages. The Martians are coming the Martians are coming run and hide... :rolleyes:

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The government is your friend. The government is your friend. The government is your friend.

Ugh. I don't care if it sounds paranoid, but I don't trust the government to not add other capabilities to this chip. :mad:

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I can't see what they could legally do that they can't already do. If you're this paranoid, I'd say: turn off your cellphone and rely on your landline. Oh, wait, the "gov'ment" knows where your land line is too... damn! Use the internet...no, wait, damn!

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Hope you called your congressman and asked him to vote no on renewing the PATRIOT Act. I sure as hell call mine to let them know whenever I strongly support or disapprove of a piece of legislation in the house.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

"We are the government and we are here to help"

The chip might do what they tell you but I am betting it will do more.

Why don't these clowns just text or email us with the option for us to opt out:confused:

9. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

No thanks.

How long 'til the chip is disabled by hacks and/or more "blunt" measures?

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I hope folks also worry about their HUGE internet footprint. But I doubt it.

11. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

It's not only for "emergency" messages but also for "important" messages from the Dear Leader. Really? You guys don't see a problem with that? What is wrong with text messages? Can we have the choice to not receive government propaganda on a device that we pay for?

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

What "propaganda" are you thinking you're going to receive?

Again, reading NEWS rather than the conspiracy blogs...

13. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

"Phone carriers may allow subscribers to block all but presidential alerts, officials said"

Why shouldn't we be able to block presidential alerts? That's the first thing that should be blockable.

14. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

:p
    :p You guys are a hoot.

My how things have changed since the patriot act was first foisted upon the sheeple of the U.S.

15. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Did YOU read the news? The article from CNN states:

"Phone carriers may allow subscribers to block all but presidential alerts, officials said"

Who decides what is a proper message from the president? The president???? You don't think this could have a high risk of turning political? Why should we be receiving alerts from the president?

Messages from NOAA, FEMA, Amber Alerts, maybe. From the President???? Talk about an ego.....

16. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Afraid of "indoctrination"?? Come on. It's an emergency alert system. It's just a high tech version of what's already happening on the TV.
    Again, I'll save my outrage for the real issues.

17. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Pot...meet kettle....:rolleyes:

18. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Never mentioned the word "indoctrination". Please read again. Do we get "presidential alerts" from TV? Do you live in China, USSR. Cuba?????

19. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I don't think you have a firm grasp on that saying.

I've said repeatedly there are real concerns. To me, the Patriot Act is worth being concerned about.

I have to wonder how many folks would have objected to a sms emergency system 3 years ago...

Perhaps it doesn't freak me out because my employer already uses one. No scary indoctrination messages, just the occasional lockdown, or gas leak alert.

20. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

So much fail in this thread....

First of all - there's NOTHING about CMAS which requires a "chip" or other device to be installed in a phone.

All I can surmise is that someone mis-heard or mis-interpreted something, or something was mis-started and then repeated.

All CMAS is is broadcast SMS with some filtering going on at the phone level.

Also, work on CMAS has been going on for quite a long time now - well before any candidates announced for the 2008 presidential race. There's not going to be any political abuse of executive office messages - which will be on the order of "We're at war."

21. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

The only one mentioning "indoctrination messages" is you. Nice straw man argument.

22. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

You're afraid of the president sending you messages. You've said he can't be trusted to decide what's serious enough to send you.

That speaks volumes.

As for presidential "alerts" on TV... yeah, we do. The president interrupts your soaps from time to time with emergencies, important announcements etc. What we DON'T get is indoctrination. I think I've made position clear. You feel free to keep tilting at windmills friend. cheers

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If you don't have anything to hide, you won't have a problem, simple as that.

24. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Everyone loves to pitch a fit whenever the government steps in to do something like this. Yet whenever ANYTHING goes wrong, the first thing people say is "why isn't the government doing anything about it?"

The government controls the quality of the air you breathe. The quality of the water you drink/bathe in. They control the gas you put in your car. The education your kids receive. The taxes that keep trash collection and other public services running. They build and maintain the roads. They monitor the airplane traffic. They literally have a hand in just about everything that makes our lives grand, right down to the electricity that powers the alarm that gets you out of bed in the morning. Do they get too in our business sometimes? Yes. But they keep our lives moving relatively seamlessly and for that you gotta just be thankful and let them do their thing.

Long story short, if the "government" wants to send you a text, I'm sure they already know how.