Cellular Data not working in iOS 8 Beta 2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nkotak1, Jun 17, 2014.

1. nkotak1 macrumors newbie

Anyone else having a problem with their cellular data not working on beta 2? All the dots are there and it says ATT 4G. A weird thing did happen at first when beta 2 loaded and it said 3G but I restarted and it went back to 4G. I've tried toggling the cellular data on and off as well as airplane mode and restarting it. Internet works fine when I'm on wifi though.

2. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

3. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

Ok on my iPhone 5 but doesn't seem to work on my cellular iPad Air. I need to try a network setting reset too, but I'm on an unapproved carrier so need to find the APN settings before I reset them.

4. nkotak1, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I reset the network settings but still no dice. it started working for a little bit before I reset the settings but now it's not working again. I can also receive calls so that's not a problem. my carrier is shown as AT&T 16.2.1 in settings. I don't know if anyone else with 16.2.1 is having the same problem?

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here on my rMini (approved carrier with 9GB/month data plan). I reset network settings but it's still not working. Dang! Guess I'm going back to 7.1.1 yet again! :mad:

6. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Something is up with that other than just a bug...no way they let a beta go out that doesnt allow cellular data to work...kind of a big deal.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Did you guys -

1) Upgrade via OTA ?

2) Upgrade via iTunes ?

3) Clean install [ no restore from backup - set up device as NEW ] ?

8. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I've had the least headaches doing a clean install.

I know it's tedious, but 8/10 times, things work at least 90% better [ as in stable ] going this route.

If you're cellular data isn't working, that's a basic [ major ] issue and I would strongly recommend a re-install.

10. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah that's what I figure I'll do. I'm hoping it somehow magically starts but I doubt that'll happen

11. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i wanted to just say its more like the cellular data is spotty? there are rare times when its working fine for 5-10 minutes and then it just disappears and doesnt work.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

I am willing to be that you don't have anything to substantiate those made up statistics. :rolleyes:

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I updated from 7.1.1 via iTunes. Also, after enabling and disabling airplane mode a few times (through Control Center) my LTE seems to be working fine. :)

Edit: apparently this has to be done after every reboot.

14. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I did OtA and mine works. On side note I notice the LTE on/off slide under Cellular Data on/off slideis now gone.

15. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

We're a team of 9 devs, been working together on iOS, OS X, and Android for a long time...

What would you have me do ? make a video every time we do multiple installs on various environments and upload it on MR to prove my point ? :rolleyes:

Believe me or not... it's a first hand observation, that's all I can tell ya!

16. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried toggling airplane mode a couple times trying to jump start it but still a no go. The cellular data is still "spotty". sometimes it's there and most times it's not.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Why do you say that? Since Apple only intends for this to be on development devices what's the harm in a beta where a core feature doesn't work?

Golly I hope this isn't impacting your ability to code and debug the app you're developing.

18. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually as someone who is a developer and does create apps it does when I need to try it out on my phone.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Make sure to leave it on for a second or two - sometimes when you switch airplane mode off too quickly, the device doesn't have to re-scan for a network, meaning it didn't fully disconnect in the first place.

20. nkotak1, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm wondering could it just be AT&T that is having issues and my phone itself is fine? The only reason why I didn't bring it up initially is because my phone was working perfectly fine before I updated to beta 2 which is why I didn't think ATT could be the problem. I live in the New York New Jersey area by the way.

Edit: Also I did leave airplane mode on for a second or two before turning it off initially. Didn't do anything.

21. mcarpenter2004 macrumors newbie

Possible Workaround

This same thing has been happening to me as well. I have noticed that it tends to work after restarting the phone until I either check or even receive an email via "push" or "fetch". I have tried to disable pushing and fetching emails and have stayed away from checking my emails and it has been working for the past half hour or so.

I hope this helps and I will give an updated if anything changes with this workaround.

22. Yazeedovic macrumors newbie

I just updated my iPhone5 from 7.1.1 (it was giving me Error 14 for Beta1 so I couldn't update it before!)

Now I'm having the same cellular data issue!
    It's been about 4 hours and No Service at all!! (Sprint)

I have tried turning off and on the airplane mode for 100 time but nothing changed ... !
    Also resetting didn't change anything ... !

I think I will have to do a (clean install) this time :\ !!

23. mcarpenter2004 macrumors newbie

I also failed to mention that I activated notification center and restarted my phone from there then disabled all email activity. I'm not sure if that matters or not, but I was trying everything possible.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

25. nkotak1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was AT&T because after I got out of work the internet worked fine and now back at work it doesn't work again, I'm sure there is something wrong with new yorks coverage right now.