Cellular data used on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by techkidd4400, Aug 17, 2012.

1. techkidd4400 macrumors regular

I rarely use my cellular data plan on my new iPad. I try to use wifi almost exclusively. However, some months my 2GB plan is used up and I have to turn off cellular data until the next month's billing cycle begins. Has anyone else experienced this? I cannot figure out what app could be running in the background consuming this much bandwidth quietly on its own. I also have noticed that occasionally when I turn off cell data something turns it back on and I get a warning message about running out of data on my plan. I guess I could call Verizon to investigate this, but I am also curious if other LTE users have noticed a similar issue.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How apps do you have? Also, when the iPad is asleep, it disconnects from Wi-Fi and stays on 3G/4G

3. techkidd4400 thread starter macrumors regular

I hope you are wrong about that. It makes more sense as a default to leave the ipad off of any cellular connection until the user affirmatively does something when there is no wifi signal. But, in case you are right, I will keep Verizon turned off while I continue testing for a solution.

I do not think it's the number of apps that is causing my problem. I have 80 apps. My best guest is that the apps that I have that pull data in the background (mail, slate, notification center etc.) may be contributing to this, but these apps shouldn't be pulling down 2gb of data in one month. It's more likely that either one odd app is responsible (but which one?) or Verizon.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The above poster is correct. When the iPad sleeps it drops wifi and gets push email notifications and fetch items via 3G

5. techkidd4400 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for confirmation. This makes sense for the iphone, but not for the ipad. Now, I have to turn cell service off/on whenever I use it. If the new iphone has LTE, I will never get another ipad with cellular data service.

6. lyngo macrumors 6502

This whole thing seems like a royal rip off to me… I really feel bad for people to run out of data quickly because of the iPad reverting back to cellular instead of Wi-Fi access when in sleep mode.

7. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Didn't know that about dropping wifi. Of course, I have had issues activating my iPad on verizon and then realized I could just use my iPhone as a hotspot. Problem solved.

8. ougum macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

That's strange. My wi-fi only iPad fetch email while it sleep. I hear the email chime all the time while the smart cover is closed & the unit is asleep.