Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week debuted the sixth-generation iPad mini, cellular models of which can connect to 5G for the first time. However, it's worth noting that cellular connectivity on the new iPad mini does not extend to support for faster mmWave 5G.

ipad-mini-6-roundup-header.png

Apple doesn't maintain a cellular compatibility page for iPad models like it does for its iPhones, so the lack of mmWave 5G support on the iPad mini could surprise some Apple customers. Currently, Apple's mmWave 5G support is limited to the iPhone 13 lineup, iPhone 12 lineup, and the cellular variants of the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

On the plus side, like the new iPhone 13 models, the iPad mini does support more 5G bands overall than iPhone 12 and cellular iPad Pro models, according to Apple, so the iPad mini does have greater 5G coverage around the world than the iPhone 12 and iPad Pro.

Despite rumors suggesting iPhone 13 models would support mmWave 5G in additional countries, support for mmWave remains limited to iPhone and iPad models sold in the United States, so its absence in the new cellular iPad mini is only likely to concern customers who are based there.

mmWave is a set of 5G frequencies that promise ultra-fast speeds at short distances, making it best suited for dense urban areas. By comparison, sub-6GHz 5G is generally slower than mmWave, but the signals travel further, better serving suburban and rural areas. All four iPhone 13 models support sub-6GHz outside of the United States, and sub-6GHz networks are more common in countries that have rolled out 5G.

Starting at $499 for the 64GB Wi-Fi-only model, the redesigned sixth-generation iPad mini is available to pre-order now on Apple's online store. Cellular models are available for $150 more over the base price of each configuration. iPad mini shipping begins Friday, September 24.

Article Link: Cellular iPad Mini Doesn’t Feature mmWave 5G Support, Unlike iPad Pro

Reactions: kiwilarry

zahuh

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2004
Anyway possible for this to be a phone? The cellular iPads actually get a phone number but you can’t call it? Can you FaceTime it?

update: thanks for the replies! Looks like it’s definitely possible with only some compromises. For example connecting to Apple Watch is not possible because there is no watch app for iPad. Also sometimes you can’t use google voice numbers for authentication so using something like Talkatone works. And the most obvious, it’s an iPad so I don’t know how it will look in my pocket 😂👍

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Starting at $499 for 64GB? That’s too much for an iPad Mini, Apple. 😡😡
Unless you are loading it with lots of videos, a very large image or music collection, travel a lot and need lots of content/document including photo/video storage, 64 GB is sufficient. Remember this iPad mini is quite up to date, 8.3" edge to edge screen, liquid retina display, a A15 with 5 core GPU, stereo speakers, newer cameras both front and back. Your getting a lot for $499.

Last edited:

shakerstevens

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Just get an iPad Pro what’s the point of a small tablet that runs iPadOS get pro max phone and iPad done
For many the ipad mini is a perfect size
It can go in large pockets (Drs etc) and childrens back packs.
My 9 year old son had a full size iPad but found it too big to use so went back to a mini-5

Everyone's needs are different.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Bad news but honestly who cares in practice you will not miss it. 5G mmWave is so far from being usable in real life scenario.
And it's not a top of the line device so i'm not surprised - disapointed still ofc - that Apple improve its margin a little by cutting this component.

WiFi 6E is way more useful IMO for an iPad than 5G mmW

zenotds

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Base 128GB would have been great...
But coming from a dying 32GB mini gen2 which i never really filled up i guess 64GB are more than enough for my use case.

In the end i just use it to read, watch youtube/netflix/etc, casual browsing and maps. When i fly i might download a couple movies in it but i have no need to store massive amounts of data.

Friday 24th can't arrive soon enough!!

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Bad news but honestly who cares in practice you will not miss it. 5G mmWave is so far from being usable in real life scenario.
And it's not a top of the line device so i'm not surprised - disapointed still ofc - that Apple improve its margin a little by cutting this component.

I rather see more Wi-Fi 6E hot spots, then contend with 30 GHz mm5G antennas all over the place. Mid-band 5G is sufficient for most cellular data plan users, as 4G LTE was. ;)

ImaginaryNerve

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Daytona Beach - Florida
I've never considered the iPad Mini before and I have an iPad Pro 11" now, but I almost considered getting an iPad Mini for a friend of mine for Christmas. Having a bit of trouble justifying the cost due to the base storage, though.

Still. I do like that iPad Mini.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008

The problem with these damn iPads is that they last forever.

The iPad Air 2, released in 2014, still got his year's iPadOS 15 so it will be usable until at least 2022 - - that's 8 years of support from Apple.

So in 2029, when you're using the new cellular iPad Mini that you bought this year, mmWave 5G may be much more common and useful.

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
I've never considered the iPad Mini before and I have an iPad Pro 11" now, but I almost considered getting an iPad Mini for a friend of mine for Christmas. Having a bit of trouble justifying the cost due to the base storage, though.

Still. I do like that iPad Mini.
People looked at iPad mini, saw it’s small form factor and thought this should be cheap. No. This new mini is a premium device. It has the same SOC as IP 13 Pro albeit with 2 GB of RAM short. That phone is $999 minimum. It has less camera hardware than IP Pro but more screen real estate. Sure it doesn’t have mmWave but that’s an appropriate sacrifice for battery life.

Hammerd

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2019
Tim Apple

Too bad it supports neither

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Anyway possible for this to be a phone? The cellular iPads actually get a phone number but you can’t call it? Can you FaceTime it?
Yes, facetime works, iMessage works, any messenger works (except WhatsApp) and any VoIP supplier works as well. Using my iPad mini 5gen for years a a phone. I registered with my VoIP Provider my mobile number and now it works without the phone all by itself. Caller ID and all.
Only calling or getting calls direkt on the SIM (data only) are not possible. Otherwise it is a fully functioning iPhone, a super max so to speak. Or Max plus. But the iPhone got the better camera System but costs twice as much.

Reactions: MiniApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.