iPad Pro Cellular vs Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigdog5142, Mar 29, 2016.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I'm planning on purchasing an iPad Pro 9.7 in the near future...possibly Thursday, but not in a big hurry.

I wanted to ask what some of your reasons were for purchasing a cellular version as opposed to a wifi version.

Ultimately, most (if not all) of us have the ability to share our iPhone (or other cell phone) connection with the iPad. If you purchase a cell version, you'll have to add it to your plan which will use the data pool your phone uses.

Just wanted some input. I get the idea of flexibility...but what are your reasons?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

The cellular model includes GPS hardware which makes location services more accurate. The Wi-Fi model has to rely on a Wi-Fi connection which isn't always available. If you use the Maps app for example this will come in handy. There are other apps which would also take advantage of the better location service offered by the GPS hardware.

3. imac09 macrumors member

4. RedOrchestra Suspended

I travel off the continent a fair bit and the ease of throwing in a "local" data sim is priceless. There isn't as much free wifi as people think there is and certainly never where you most want it.

5. aces99, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

aces99 macrumors 6502

aces99

I also recommend getting the LTE cellular version because sometimes there is not always wifi available and it is can be a pain also having to go ask what the wifi password is when you are at McDonald, StarBucks or whatnot. You can't always rely on your cellphone because the battery could be getting low. Also tethering your iPad to your phone with hotspot sucks the juice from the phones battery big time. For the extra cost to hook up the tablet to your cell plan nowadays it is worth the extra few bucks. My cellphone provider offers 2 options. The first option is for an extra $5 a months you can hook it up to your plan and share the data with your cellphone. The second option is for $5 a month you can hook it up to a separate flex plan and if you use no data you don't pay anything extra and if you use data it will automatically bump you up to the next tier of data at basically the same price as your cellphone plan costs. So if you take your tablet out with you lots it is worth the extra few bucks to always have internet on your tablet and not have to rely on wifi or tethering it to your phone and getting disconnected from it. Also the LTE cellular iPads seem to have better resale value if you ever decide to sell it. But you have to weigh out if it is worth it to you or not. Hope that helps.

6. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I've had an iPad since the beginning...1, 3, Air & Air 2. I'm looking at the Pro for the Pencil mostly. Always had Wifi, but the cellular has intrigued me. I knew about the GPS chip. I had considered it before because I was on the AT&T unlimited plan and couldn't share connection without a jailbreak (which wasn't always available), but now I went to a shared plan to save some money and I can share the connection. Don't travel a lot, but when I do, there are times I wish I had the cellular. Almost always have a battery pack with me.

I suppose I was hoping someone would give me a good enough reason to justify getting a cellular iPad...but maybe the wifi is best for me. $130 is $130.

7. RedOrchestra Suspended

It's all about convenience - whatever that's worth to you.

8. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

This makes a TON of sense.

9. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I thought about getting just the Wifi version but I won't always be in a position where my phone has enough battery to share, wifi hotspot kills my battery. My plan is also limited on wifi tethering so that's another reason why I chose the LTE version. It's cheaper to get the match plan (which essentially matches my iPhones plan) than it is to add extensive tethering to my plan. I use mine a lot outside of home so it's much more convenient to always have a connection.

I believe the LTE versions also hold their value better than the wifi ones as well since the used market usually takes the pain of that $130 increase out of the equation. Now that they have built in sims on the LTE versions I think that's even more of a reason to get the LTE as this gives travelers the ability to switch carriers on the fly.

10. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I like that the iPad is always "on." It's like dial up versus cable internet access in the old days. Apart from the speed difference, the fact that the internet was always online made a big difference in how people used it. With cellular, I like to that I can pick up my iPad and email, messages etc. it up-to-date. I can quickly check web pages. I don't have to first connect it to my iPhone hotspot. With 200Mb free from T-mobile that convenience is free, except for the initial $130 fee to Apple. Perhaps a luxury, but it has made a difference in how I use my iPad. I almost always bring it, whereas with WiFi only, I usually left it at home.

I'm planning to buy a 9.7" pro, and again I will spend the $130 for that convenience.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

12. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

How do you utilize the GPS on the iPad?

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I use Maps.

14. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Does T-Mobile give anyone that 200mb free? I don't have a T-Mobile account...

15. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Yes, anyone. You don't need to be a t-mobile customer. 200Mb is not much, but enough that email and text can stay up-to-date and for some light web browsing. They also have a 5Gb for 5 months for $10, giving a little extra.

16. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I think every one who replied to your post has shared good enough reasons to justify getting a cellular capable iPad.

17. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

iPad Pro 9.7 inch here 32GB Why I went with a Cellular version Resale value Sprint will buy it back in 2 Years they Won't Buy a WiFi Only Model. (in 2 years I'll get a new one upgrading every year makes no sense)
    Also I have Great WiFi at Home and Work, but Overall You really need LTE and the 9.7 Pro is the First to use Sprint LTE Plus so the speeds are very fast.
    Price While a 32GB WiFI only Model is $599, Sprints Celluar Model is $729 But Sprint matched Verizon's Price at $529 with no Line activation fee.
    Last But Not Least Sprint is Truly Unlimited they don't slow you Down. I've used 280GB of Data on LTE and my Bill is the same $30 Bucks of Course I am on an Exclusive SERO PLan which helps.

18. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

All the reasons given here are good. Here's another: free financing. With T-Mobile I'll pay $30/month for 24 months and no down payment. So in addition to the benefits of the cellular model, I get to not fork over a large sum of cash up front AND pay no interest for 2 years.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not really. Much like higher capacities, you're not going to be able to recoup the cost dollar for dollar of cellular.

That said, for me it's worth it. At $130 for LTE and $120 for the service/line add-on, for a year's usage, that's around $21/month or $5/week for the convenience of having always on internet. I certainly waste more money than that on random crap that doesn't give me anywhere near the utility and enjoyment of having built-in cellular on the iPad. Less if you keep the device for longer than a year.

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've owned 3 iPads.
    1. wifi only 1st gen
    2. LTE iPad 2
    3. wifi only iPad mini

My next iPad will have LTE. It's just really convient to be able to get on the internet anywhere without having to tether.

21. BadMelonFarmer macrumors 6502

BadMelonFarmer

Another killer reason for me is the knowledge that IF I lose it, or it is stolen.... I can track it via Find iPhone as it does not rely on WiFi and Sod's law would dictate you lose it where there is no WiFi.

22. Serban Suspended

it is a bless to use maps in my 13" iPad pro using GPS

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Cellular has the advantage of including a GPS, it can be faster then many public wifi hotspots and is more secure then public wifi. Plus its available in more locations where wifi is not.

24. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

All my iPads have been with cellular. It is just a so much better experience when you don't have to think about a wifi connection. I've been at hotels where the wifi keeps dropping and am so thankful to have cellular. I also use maps. If we have a power outage the cellular keeps on working. Also, when traveling in a car as a passenger, I can catch up on emails, Netflix or whatever.

I'd never go back to just wifi unless the cellular was not in my budget. The convenience is just incredible and to me, worth every penny.

25. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

People here keep talking about the Cellular iPad having GPS I still dont get it what people mean here ? as in to locate the device or what? If that is what the case is ? You can find it using find my iPhone ? right ? so what is this GPS thing people here are talking about ! Somebody please explain ! :(