Ceramic Apple Watch Series - Anyone bouncing?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SamGabbay, Sep 14, 2017.

1. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Anyone bouncing for the HL, super sexy, super expensive Apple Watch Ceramic with LTE?

2. mhoutman macrumors 6502

mhoutman

I might get the black one, so super sexy, but perhaps to much an aluminium lookalike ?!

3. richard371 macrumors 68020

Well I paid a lot more for a ceramic Omega DSOTM and I really enjoyed it. The problem with the AW, unlike a fine Swiss, is it will be obsolete in 2-3 years and will be worth a few bucks vs 1350 it costs now. I do like the idea but bad investment. At least with the SS I can pay about 600 and sell it when the new model comes out for about 300 so only about 300 loss to upgrade. I have no idea what the you will get for the $1350 ceramic when the AW4 or 5 comes out. My guess is 2-300. Its tempting but Id probably wear it once or twice a week as I prefer my mechanicals. May go SS if I go at all.

4. mhoutman, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

mhoutman macrumors 6502

mhoutman

I am a watch collector: Vintage IWC and Rolex, but the Apple Watch seems a bit a way of life. Only occasionally I wear my mechanical ones. That said Porsche Design already made years ago ceramic watches for rIWC :)

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Nay. I would buy a series 2 ceramic if I found it on sale, but the Hermes and Edition are really a "for the hell of it" purchase because the tech becomes obsolete shortly and the price is high. At least with Hermes you get really high quality bands you can wear with new watches down the road.

6. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

apple should provide internal upgrade service for ceramic or edition watches each year as long as the dimensions are compatible.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

THIS! My mind would be made up right now. As it is I’m sitting here wondering if a ceramic body and sapphire crystal are worth $900...

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Just added Ceramic white to favourites in the Apple store. Decided to go for it

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Me too. Think I'm going to go for gray though.

10. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

I’d be all over ceramic if any “formal” straps actually went with it well. Hence I’ll stay with my S2 SS

11. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I tried the mix'n'match gallery and thought that virtually all the straps went really well with the ceramic white

12. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Really? Even the ones with silver lugs like the classic buckles, loop, and link?

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think how well they "go" depends on how much you need stuff to match. They "coordinate" with it... not match, per se.

14. richard371 macrumors 68020

Yup the SS is the most versatile for straps. Ceramic is great if you plan on wearing it for 40 years lol. Kind of a waste for a year or so.

15. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I got the Ceramic Series 2 last year. Debating selling it and getting another white one or picking up the grey this time.

I think it basically comes down to how often I’d actually would switch between the two watches. I’m sure the grey ceramic is beautiful too but I think nothing will appeal to me more than the white one.

16. echo44 macrumors 6502

How do you think the grey ceramic will look with milanese space black band?

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

No not so much with the silver lugs

18. mhoutman macrumors 6502

mhoutman

I want the grey one, but first want to see it on more photos and footage. Th color is really great , but the pictures on Apple's site are IMO more like black (or darker)

19. mkfresh macrumors newbie

mkfresh

I have the series 2 aluminum and i always found it to be ugly. I have a couple of nice real watches and I would wear those more often than the apple watch. I decided to order the white ceramic model this time. I have the black link bracelet and I think the combination of the two will finally make me like the design of the apple watch.

20. richard371 macrumors 68020

The the idea of ceramic is to keep the watch looking timeless over the years say 5 to 10 years are longer. This is great for a Swiss watch but these AWs will be in a landfill after 5 years so it’s pretty pointless to get one made of exotic materials. I upgrade every time a new model comes out and my SS versions always look mint and I only take about a 300 loss. Also the SS works with just about any band color. I can see the allure to the white one but might as well get the space gray vs the ceramic grey.

21. mkfresh macrumors newbie

mkfresh

The space grey watch is very cheap looking if you're used to nice watches. What's better: a watch that's reasonably priced or a watch you'll actually wear! Now that the watches have LTE and even more sensors I don't see the need to upgrade every year either.
    I do agree though that the stainless steel is a nice compromise. It goes with any band and it still looks better than the aluminum models.

22. ckiggins macrumors 6502

I pulled the trigger on the ceramic gray this morning. My only concern is how my band collection will look with that color. I currently have the white ceramic (previously had a space black SS version 1 and a SS version 0) and have a lot of blue bands (nylon, Nike+, classic buckle) and I'm concerned some of them may look odd with this. Thoughts? Part of me wonders if I should also look at the SS instead.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Stuck with the white version. Sept 22 delivery.

24. garethjs macrumors 6502a

Yup ordered the grey. Looks really smart here. Will get a red sports band to work with the red dot

Only footage of it I can find

@1.43minute

25. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

I ordered a 42mm white ceramic, my first crazy-expensive Apple Watch - which I'll want to replace when next year's model has some cool new feature.

Funny that the ceramic Apple Watch is US$1349. When I bought my Rolex GMT Master II (in 1986), the list price was US$1350. But I was able to get almost 30% off that - in the days before Rolex USA cracked down on their dealers giving big discounts.