Ceramic Gray vs Space Black SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ckiggins, Sep 15, 2017.

1. ckiggins macrumors 6502

I have looked everywhere for a photo or video showing these two colors side by side...has anyone seen one?

I ordered the ceramic gray at 3am today and just now ordered a space black Milanese (still available for in-store pickup on launch day) because I'm torn about which one. Specifically I'm wondering how "gray" the gray is.

The renderings on Apple.com make it appear dark but I'm wondering how truly dark it is. I have owned the white ceramic in the past as well as the space black and thought maybe this is a good in-between.

2. richard371 macrumors 68020

From what I've seen its pretty grey kinda like the Omega GSOTM. I personally don't see many options of bands that would look right. As much as I like Ceramic I like the fact SS goes with about any color and then I wont have the watch long enough to justify the benefit of ceramic.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don't think the ceramic Space gray will be as glossy as the space black stainless. I think it will have more of a muted tone by looking at the pictures.

4. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

It looks fairly glossy in this video, and what I would call “primer” grey. 1’ 42” in.

5. garethjs macrumors 6502a

At 5.45 min, must say it looks very much like the entry level aluminium. Might cancel my order...

6. richard371 macrumors 68020

Nice but it won’t look right with many bands.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I suspect from the first video that it is very close to the aluminum gray, but much more glossy. I would personally rather people not know I have the ceramic. I bought it because I hate all the scratches on my S0 Stainless, but the sapphire on my SS had taken some serious hits and still looks brand new. I think it's going to look fine with a number of bands.

Of course all of this is extremely subjective so some will love it and some will not. Such is life. I'm really excited to get my gray ceramic this Friday!

8. ckiggins thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this!

9. Techme0ut macrumors member

lol u people think ur better withb a ceramic watch that looks even cheaper then the SS

10. ckiggins thread starter macrumors 6502

11. mkfresh macrumors newbie

mkfresh

Right now I have to agree the grey ceramic looks cheaper than the black stainless steel, although we haven't seen a detailed view of the model yet. I don't think anyone thinks they're better for owning a product though.

12. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Security issues? What do you care why someone buys a different watch than you? I wanted the ceramic even if it was less expensive. I don’t wear my watch for other people. I wear it for myself. My SS Watch has scratches all over it. I look forward to looking down and not seeing all the scratches all day.

13. richard371 macrumors 68020

Cape cod cloth works wonders.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

Whether it be an $8K Rolex or a $600 Apple Watch, scratches on a stainless steel watch look cool.

Either way, I think the new grey looks pretty good, but I'd have a hard time spending that much more on something that isn't black or steel, since it isn't as versatile. Oddly enough, I'd probably pay more for the black or stainless vs. the grey.

15. mkfresh macrumors newbie

mkfresh

I prefer traditional watches myself; I had a tough time choosing between the Hermes and the white ceramic. I honesty didn't care about the Hermes leather - I just wanted a watch face that utilized the rectangular face properly, plus steel is a standard material for a watch. I ultimately went with the white ceramic because this isn't a traditional watch, so I figured a modern material would be a good approach. I'm not a fan of the grey ceramic since the giant black screen doesn't go well with the grey. If the "dial" of the watch matched the grey then it would be lovely.

16. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

While I wouldn't personally wear a white watch, the ceramic white version makes more sense to me.

17. garethjs macrumors 6502a

Hermes watches are a joke. Ur paying for a leather strap and what? an exclusive digital watch face...