Ceramic or Black SS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dyzfnctional, Sep 19, 2016.

1. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

I preordered the black SS from Best buy and of course they aren't expecting to ship until 9/28... The past few days after seeing people's pics of the ceramic version, I am debating on cancelling my current order.
    My should I?? I know, a bit indecisive...

Ceramic owners: what do you like or dislikes?

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

all personal preference but i'm not a fan of the white look.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Same it looks too much like the sport version

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not going to wear a white watch.

You could be different but not for me.

5. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

To me, as an owner of the SS version, if I could go back, the only thing I would change would be to the Black SS. That looks very classy. White is a little tougher to match with bands, history of wear is unknown as well. Some have also said it looks better in pictures and not so much in person. For the same price or even slightly less, get the black link bracelet for your space black SS.

SS has really stood up against aging signs for me. Plus, it goes well with everything you wear.

6. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Good points.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm not hip enough for white ceramic. Polished steel can always dress up nicer than black, IMO (over in the world of regular watches, black PVD and DLC models are sporty/tool/"macho" watches).

8. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

I was in the same position as the op.
    Picked ceramic. No regrets.

9. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Can't say that I'm a watch expert but that ceramic white looks cheap and plastic like. I actually thought it was in the area of $300 to $500. So people without any knowledge of fancy watch materials might mistake it below aluminum like I did. If I had money to waste the stainless steel would be my pick.

10. kevin_tron_taco macrumors member

kevin_tron_taco

The black stainless is super sexy and costs half the price. Winner for me.

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The white ceramic, IMHO, looks very cool and futuristic. However, it's also probably harder to match with different bands & metallic lugs.

If I could only have one Apple Watch, I think the silver stainless steel model is the most flexible.

But, to be honest, I have two - a silver stainless and a gold aluminum (both 'series 0'). If I were to buy another, I might go for space black SS presuming I could keep my other two.

12. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Highly recommend you go in to the store to see them yourself in person. The ceramic one doesn't look very impressive in photos, I took a leap and went from a black ss series 1 to the ceramic and definitely don't regret it.

[​IMG]

13. Srbell67 macrumors regular

Have you seen them both in person yet?

Btw, my local BB got several in today.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

I like the ceramic look but I will say that I have ceramic knives (black and white). My oldest knives are chipped even with lots of care and... the white ones are stained. Now granted you might not be rubbing your watch up against staining food but if you drop food on it, rub against blue jeans or do other things that are potentially staining, it could be a concern.

15. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

I really want to like the ceramic, but it just looks like a white bumper around a black Apple Watch (in pictures and under the display case at my local Apple Store). Theres something about the contrast between screen/bezel and ceramic body that doesn't work for me. Not to mention the band selection issue.

Black SS would be my preference.

16. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

If I were in your shoes I would go for the ceramic mainly because it scratches way harder than the SS, especially the black SS.

On the other hand I don't think it looks that good with bands besides the sport ones but I think the leather loops might look quite good on them too!

17. outie2k macrumors regular

Please. Not everyone buying the ceramic wants to tell the world it costed 3x as much. Get what you like and enjoy it.

18. dyzfnctional thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I am digging that ceramic with brown leather band.

19. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Then why buy a white ceramic watch that cost over $1000? What are the advantages of picking a ceramic watch over a stainless steel watch over a aluminum watch if not to show off/make a statement? Why waste money when a $400 42mm aluminum model works just as good as a watch costing 3 times as much?
    It has everything to do with showing off. It sure ain't for the resell value or extra features? It's a tech gadget that will be obsolete in 2 years replaced by a faster/cheaper model.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

With the exception of the Stainless BLACK, the ceramic will certainly hold up better than the Stainless and Aluminum models. However, you make excellent points too.

21. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same predicament. I'm so stuck between the two I actually ordered both. I love the Edition, it looks and feels fantastic.

I also love the all-black seamless look of the SSSB and the feel of the SB link bracelet.

I think the SSSB with LB is more professional and classy but I rarely dress up so it seems less practical for me.

I'm even considering keeping both but I think I'd end up wearing the Edition most of the time.

22. Low country macrumors 6502

Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep my ceramic Sub...NEVER needs charging or winding.

23. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Lmao, either a terrible troll or an extremely insecure person

24. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

Similar situation here, I have my Edition now, have about 6 days left in my return period. But I am between the Edition and the single tour Hermès. My Hermes shipped early and should be here Friday, so I will have a day or two with both to decide. I already have a SS link bracelet, from my original watch, of course that goes much better with the SS Hermès vs the Edition.

But I do enjoy the white Edition as well....

Oh first world problems.

25. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

If I were spending that amount, white without hesitation. There is something about Apple original White colour, it's an instant an Apple thing., give it a try, you have 14 days.