Ceramic or Black SS

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I preordered the black SS from Best buy and of course they aren't expecting to ship until 9/28... The past few days after seeing people's pics of the ceramic version, I am debating on cancelling my current order.
My should I?? I know, a bit indecisive...

Ceramic owners: what do you like or dislikes?

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
To me, as an owner of the SS version, if I could go back, the only thing I would change would be to the Black SS. That looks very classy. White is a little tougher to match with bands, history of wear is unknown as well. Some have also said it looks better in pictures and not so much in person. For the same price or even slightly less, get the black link bracelet for your space black SS.

SS has really stood up against aging signs for me. Plus, it goes well with everything you wear.

Reactions: Jona330

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
To me, as an owner of the SS version, if I could go back, the only thing I would change would be to the Black SS. That looks very classy. White is a little tougher to match with bands, history of wear is unknown as well. Some have also said it looks better in pictures and not so much in person. For the same price or even slightly less, get the black link bracelet for your space black SS.

SS has really stood up against aging signs for me. Plus, it goes well with everything you wear.
Thanks. Good points.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I'm not hip enough for white ceramic. Polished steel can always dress up nicer than black, IMO (over in the world of regular watches, black PVD and DLC models are sporty/tool/"macho" watches).

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Can't say that I'm a watch expert but that ceramic white looks cheap and plastic like. I actually thought it was in the area of $300 to $500. So people without any knowledge of fancy watch materials might mistake it below aluminum like I did. If I had money to waste the stainless steel would be my pick.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
The white ceramic, IMHO, looks very cool and futuristic. However, it's also probably harder to match with different bands & metallic lugs.

If I could only have one Apple Watch, I think the silver stainless steel model is the most flexible.

But, to be honest, I have two - a silver stainless and a gold aluminum (both 'series 0'). If I were to buy another, I might go for space black SS presuming I could keep my other two.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Highly recommend you go in to the store to see them yourself in person. The ceramic one doesn't look very impressive in photos, I took a leap and went from a black ss series 1 to the ceramic and definitely don't regret it.

Srbell67

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
I preordered the black SS from Best buy and of course they aren't expecting to ship until 9/28... The past few days after seeing people's pics of the ceramic version, I am debating on cancelling my current order.
My should I?? I know, a bit indecisive...

Ceramic owners: what do you like or dislikes?

Have you seen them both in person yet?

Btw, my local BB got several in today.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I like the ceramic look but I will say that I have ceramic knives (black and white). My oldest knives are chipped even with lots of care and... the white ones are stained. Now granted you might not be rubbing your watch up against staining food but if you drop food on it, rub against blue jeans or do other things that are potentially staining, it could be a concern.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I really want to like the ceramic, but it just looks like a white bumper around a black Apple Watch (in pictures and under the display case at my local Apple Store). Theres something about the contrast between screen/bezel and ceramic body that doesn't work for me. Not to mention the band selection issue.

Black SS would be my preference.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
If I were in your shoes I would go for the ceramic mainly because it scratches way harder than the SS, especially the black SS.

On the other hand I don't think it looks that good with bands besides the sport ones but I think the leather loops might look quite good on them too!

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Can't say that I'm a watch expert but that ceramic white looks cheap and plastic like. I actually thought it was in the area of $300 to $500. So people without any knowledge of fancy watch materials might mistake it below aluminum like I did. If I had money to waste the stainless steel would be my pick.
Please. Not everyone buying the ceramic wants to tell the world it costed 3x as much. Get what you like and enjoy it.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Please. Not everyone buying the ceramic wants to tell the world it costed 3x as much. Get what you like and enjoy it.
Then why buy a white ceramic watch that cost over $1000? What are the advantages of picking a ceramic watch over a stainless steel watch over a aluminum watch if not to show off/make a statement? Why waste money when a $400 42mm aluminum model works just as good as a watch costing 3 times as much?
It has everything to do with showing off. It sure ain't for the resell value or extra features? It's a tech gadget that will be obsolete in 2 years replaced by a faster/cheaper model.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Then why buy a white ceramic watch that cost over $1000? What are the advantages of picking a ceramic watch over a stainless steel watch over a aluminum watch if not to show off/make a statement? Why waste money when a $400 42mm aluminum model works just as good as a watch costing 3 times as much?
It has everything to do with showing off. It sure ain't for the resell value or extra features? It's a tech gadget that will be obsolete in 2 years replaced by a faster/cheaper model.
With the exception of the Stainless BLACK, the ceramic will certainly hold up better than the Stainless and Aluminum models. However, you make excellent points too.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I'm in the same predicament. I'm so stuck between the two I actually ordered both. I love the Edition, it looks and feels fantastic.

I also love the all-black seamless look of the SSSB and the feel of the SB link bracelet.

I think the SSSB with LB is more professional and classy but I rarely dress up so it seems less practical for me.

I'm even considering keeping both but I think I'd end up wearing the Edition most of the time.

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
I'm in the same predicament. I'm so stuck between the two I actually ordered both. I love the Edition, it looks and feels fantastic.

I also love the all-black seamless look of the SSSB and the feel of the SB link bracelet.

I think the SSSB with LB is more professional and classy but I rarely dress up so it seems less practical for me.

I'm even considering keeping both but I think I'd end up wearing the Edition most of the time.

Similar situation here, I have my Edition now, have about 6 days left in my return period. But I am between the Edition and the single tour Hermès. My Hermes shipped early and should be here Friday, so I will have a day or two with both to decide. I already have a SS link bracelet, from my original watch, of course that goes much better with the SS Hermès vs the Edition.

But I do enjoy the white Edition as well....

Oh first world problems.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
If I were spending that amount, white without hesitation. There is something about Apple original White colour, it's an instant an Apple thing., give it a try, you have 14 days.