Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Innovation?

Have a look at the keyboard in the background of the low-angle shots. It's YAAR (Yet Another Apple Ripoff.) A mash-up of the Apple Wireless Keyboard, the black keycaps from a MacBook, and extra keys (possibly a numeric keypad).

I've been wondering if/when Apple would put the black MB keycaps on the standard Apple Wireless Keyboard. With illumination. I'd like that, but battery life might be an issue...

But whatever. Joanna is such a techno-cutie.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The games were rather responsive. I am still wary of anything until Windows 8 is out. I hope Lenovo's house applications are updated for Windows 8 or compatible with it from a consumer standpoint.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

STILL can't get touch/scrolling to be responsive as an iPhone 2G.

Pathetic.

edit: OHH... are those really led lights for CPU, HDD etc activity on the monitor?? crying...

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I've always thought that Macs should have touch screens.

How much additional cost do you think it would add to a MacBook Pro or an iMac, let's say?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Oh yeah. It was all Apple's idea to add a touchscreen to an all-in-one. It was also their idea to allow monitors to lie flat.

*facepalm*

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah they have the patent but it's not exactly the form factor that is patented but rather the method of operation; switching from a mouse input to a touch input. Sort of a hybrid type computer which can run Mac OS and then run an iOS type environment that is built for touch input with this type of form factor. It's a very specific patent which is why they have so many approved -- unlike some of their other patents which are vague and allows them to take everyone to court.

Considering How Steve did not like using touch interface on vertical surfaces due to arm fatigue, I can see the reason he implemented a tilting screen to more of a horizontal position for comfort reasons.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

STILL can't get touch/scrolling to be responsive as an iPhone 2G.

Pathetic.

edit: OHH... are those really led lights for CPU, HDD etc activity on the monitor?? crying...

Calm down, it could be the OS. Pretty sure it's the OS, let's wait until Windows 8 comes out until we judge. Since Windows 8 should have hardware acceleration.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
HP tried this a few years ago with lots of fanfare and it was a disaster. Just as Steve Jobs said, nobody wants to spend all day with arms outstretched. Oh, those HP touch screens at Costco were so grubby I never got to see how slow they were. :p

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I honestly can't tell if you've laid down an excellent troll, or if you're honestly obtuse enough to advocate calling out companies for not being innovative enough for essentially doing something Apple thought about but never did.

nope, I'm simply calling out copiers -- they didn't even innovate their own wallpaper for gods sake, instead mimicking apple's in a weak attempt at gaining the same admiration. if you can't see that in the stock image, you're blind.

it is, quite simply, monkey see, money do. no trolling about it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This seems like a device that has no real market. It would have been useful to retail stores 5 years ago but now using an iPod Touch a la Apple Stores is less expensive to set up and maintain. And as for consumers it's an iPad w/o the portability.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Didn't some already try this idea?

CES 2012: Lenovo Brings Apple's Touchscreen iMac Concept to Life

Well, they tried to do that. That much is for sure.

By the way, that touch interface looks about as smooth as a cheese-grater.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Great now Apple has space patented.

I am not saying i feel one way or another about it, but come on man. There is NO way you can tell me with a straight face that the desktop image on that lenovo was not inspired by apples desk top.

edited:
By the negative votes it looks like I stand corrected. LOL! Not sure how on earth a negative vote was necessary but I am new here so I will just roll with it and smile.

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
It doesn't seem like something you would incorporate into every day life. It looks cool yeah. But a bit gimmicky. It just isn't justified apart from for playing angry birds.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
This seems like a device that has no real market. It would have been useful to retail stores 5 years ago but now using an iPod Touch a la Apple Stores is less expensive to set up and maintain. And as for consumers it's an iPad w/o the portability.

I'd say it's good for media makers like artists and animators and what not.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
At Macworld 2008 during the MacBook Air Keynote SJ said that they researched the possibility of a touchscreen MacBook Air. Apple R&D concluded that a touch interface on a virtical screen would cause user fatigue and scrapped the idea.

I've tried an HP touchscreen computer and I would have to agree with Apple. Even for just browsing the Net it's just not very practicle.

So I'm gonna guess that a touchscreen iMac is probably not going to see the light of day.

Rolpho

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
thenerdal says it. And it is really responsive in Windows 7 Mode. Lenovos Software is guilty here. Just reformat the computer and install Windows 8 later!, this would be great!

I have the feeling that the next 3 years will be just awesome if it comes to new technologies. I mean, I watched a video 3 years ago about a multiple Touch screen, and thought it would take more than 10 years until this technology would reach the consumer region. I was pretty wrong!

Ryanalogy

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Do you have any links to any surveys that say there is substantial demand for a touch screen Mac?

Apple has in the past created products/services/methods that people didn't realize they'd like or need until they used them. They're risk takers in addition to being data driven. It's why most of their stuff is great.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

"It's X without the Y."

I find it unlikely that one product can satisfy all needs.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
At Macworld 2008 during the MacBook Air Keynote SJ said that they researched the possibility of a touchscreen MacBook Air. Apple R&D concluded that a touch interface on a virtical screen would cause user fatigue and scrapped the idea.

I've tried an HP touchscreen computer and I would have to agree with Apple. Even for just browsing the Net it's just not very practicle.

So I'm gonna guess that a touchscreen iMac is probably not going to see the light of day.

No one is going to use their fingers all the time on that computer. If someone is, then the screen will be moved horizontally, causing no problems with fatigue.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
The lady in the video seems to be very well trained at angry birds. What a shot! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.