CES 2017: Hands-On With a Smart Ring, Smart Shower, Smart Shoe, and Smart Everything

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Internet of Things is the name of the game at CES 2017. If you can think of a product, there's a good chance a vendor not only has it, but has one that's connected to the internet via WiFi, Bluetooth, and an app.

At CES Unveiled, we went exploring for the most interesting products. Some, like the connected hairbrush from Withings and Kérastase, are grasping at a future where everything you do is monitored and optimized, while others, like the Smart Remote from Sevenhugs, are trying to truly simplify your home.

Some honorable mentions are the Smart Cane from Dring Alert Systems and FeetMe smart insole. The Smart Cane monitors usage and creates a user profile. If the user deviates from the "normal" usage, or if the cane detects something like a fall, it will automatically alert a specified contact of this.

The FeetMe is a smart insole that you insert into a shoe. With the insole in place, you can monitor how you walk and run, and with that information, you can adjust your stride or pressure points to be more efficient.

We'll be covering CES 2017 for the rest of the week so be sure to subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel, and follow closely here on the site!

Article Link: CES 2017: Hands-On With a Smart Ring, Smart Shower, Smart Shoe, and Smart Everything

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Am I the only one sick of everything having to become 'smart'? We've survived pretty well with a lot of dumb stuff up to this point. Does every product/gadget we own have to be connected to the internet?

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

I prefer my dumb shower over a smart shower any day. Last thing I need is Siri or Alexa or Cortana or Google listening to me argue with myself and provide feedback.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Welp, I guess this is where I become too old to care about new tech.

I always knew it would happen eventually, I just through I'd be a bit older.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Or worse:
    Siri: "Mcfrazieriv, you've been washing that same area for a while. Might I suggest washing your hands now.":D

8. hagemahal macrumors newbie

hagemahal

It's called "internet of things" for a reason ;)

9. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

Nope, this stuff is insane. Most of it is either useless or a total gimmick that is "cool" but will do next to nothing to actually make your life easier. Some smart devices are useful, but it's getting ridiculous. The smart shower... can you really not just turn the water on when you get out of bed or yell at your kid to get out of the shower? lol

10. Xavier, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Xavier macrumors 68030

Of course they do. How else can the target marketing campaigns learn your deepest secrets and sell your data to the highest bidder?

11. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

Must have shot the opening/closing shots on an iPhone 7 -- the background noise is louder than the guy talking.

12. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

I am a geek. While I think this technology is neat and sometimes its impressive, I must say that most of this stuff is really unnecessary. Too many people are spending money on stuff just to spend money. There is nothing wrong with saving money for those things that are actually needed.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2017 ---
    It seems most of the junk being created is with the purpose of just using up resources and moving money around.

13. Thunderhawks, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

Thunderhawks Suspended

While I was trying to list my simple life:

iPhone
    iPad
    MBP the kind that works (2014/2015 as a reserve), Dell 27" monitor
    aTV
    Large screen TV

bed, refrigerator, oven, microwave, car, 3 cats (non electronic)
    a few clothes, bank account w debit cards...................

I had to realize it's already too much and too complicated.

Maybe I am the one that's not SMART to use all that stuff.

14. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

The Internet of Junk will fail because it literally is JUNK! We don't need everything connected to a network. Also, IoT is the stupidest name i've ever heard and i hope it dies a quick painful death!

15. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I'm curious about the cane that can alert someone. Does it call or send a text to a specified number to let someone know that you've fallen or does it simply emit an ear-piercing siren to cause people to (hopefully) rush to your aid? If it's the latter, if the fall didn't kill you, you'll probably have a heart attack due to the loud siren.

16. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

Please let there be an Nvidia Shield TV second gen release!!
    It's a stupid buzzword. Just like 'Retina' for what basically means high resolution. Marketers and advertisers are some of the most useless people on the planet for such reasons.

17. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

Devs should stop being asked to work on junk like this. There are far nobler coding and invention needs in the world. I will never buy any of this 'internet of junk'.

18. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Yeah a lot of this "smart" stuff is a little goofy, but I have to admit I do think our "smart" washer and dryer is pretty cool. I can see it for bigger appliances, but don't need it for every little thing in my house.

It does seem very science-fiction-y though :)

19. ajguckian macrumors regular

The market will dictate what "smart" products make it. We may see a lot of dumb things, but if it gets us one or two great things, I'm all for it. Money is just money at the end of the day. If you have the ability to spend a little bit more, go for it.

20. satchmo macrumors 68020

Some of these folks at CES need to watch the documentary Minimalism on Netflix.
    It's not a film about anti-consumerism, but anti-excess.

There is no doubt benefits to the future of robotics and automation.
    But many of these so-called 'smart' products serve a growing society of laziness.

21. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

Everything is getting smarter, except human beings....

22. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

23. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I called it for the smart ring over a year ago when I predicted the Magic Apple Ring or MAR for short. You can search the forum to confirm. SusanK where are you?
    Buzzwords aren't stupid when Apple uses them. They become magical.

24. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

CES is becoming the useless convention. I have yet to see anything useful.

25. AngerDanger, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

I just noticed CES decided to advertise with images that we in the trade* call photoshop bait…

test_01.png test_04.png

*not sure if anybody in any trade has used this term before.