Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Jenjo, if you're kid is triple-clicking the home button, you tell them to stop it. That's an obscure enough issue that I don't think many parents are too worried about that happening or having to talk with their child about it if it does.

And even if they triple click, they don't (or shouldn't) know the password, so it's no big deal.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
And even if they triple click, they don't (or shouldn't) know the password, so it's no big deal.
But it is surely better if they cannot even trigger that screen at all.
Imagine you are a kid, when you see this passcode screen after triple click, what would you do?

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
But it is surely better if they cannot even trigger that screen at all.
Imagine you are a kid, when you see this passcode screen after triple click, what would you do?

Try to enter random numbers, which would lead me nowhere. No problem at all.

The discussion here is about the case, which is clearly for kids that are under 3 years old, that cannot figure out the lock, and could accidentally delete stuff or make phone calls. I would gladly buy one of those back when my kids were younger and there was no Guided Access. One of them phoned my boss once in the middle of a weekend. But Guided Access kind of rendered this case useless.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Wait until the FBI figures out all they have to do is hand a criminal's iPhone to a 3 year old who will intuit the passcode in seconds! Think of the millions they could have saved? An untapped resource. Of course, the police would have to keep a close eye out because as fast as a 3 year old can bust a passcode they can delete the most important information on the phone.

Reactions: macribas

macribas

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Austin, TX
Or in my eyes, guided access feature greatly reduces the actual value of this case.

But also a volatile resource. You know, a 3 year old kid could just erase any iPhone by randomly entering 10 wrong passwords.

You're right, I was too harsh. Reduced value is better put than useless. Thanks.

As for the password, good question. Does the Guided Access Passcode work the same way as the overall lock password? I'd have to try.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I'm sorry. I do not have children and have not used Guided Access often, so I just didn't think of it. I've added a mention now. This is obviously not an advertisement and is just standard CES coverage.
Thanks. You could add an Apple link to your "Guided Access" reference as well.
You're right, I was too harsh. Reduced value is better put than useless. Thanks.

As for the password, good question. Does the Guided Access Passcode work the same way as the overall lock password? I'd have to try.
It makes you wait 10 seconds after the first failure, then 60 seconds, and then 180 seconds. I didn't test beyond that, but I'm fairly certain it won't erase your phone after 10 failed password attempts. A kid having the patience to wait that long to attempt 10 times would be impressive and unlikely. If you do forget your Guided Access passcode and Touch ID doesn't work, you just have to force a reboot (home+power) to get out of Guided Access (at which point you'd have to know the phone's security passcode like always).

I think the point here is that Guided Access is a near perfect solution for keeping your kid in an app and even keeping them from clicking certain parts of the screen within an app. It's free and everyone already has it on their iPhones and iPads. It wouldn't hurt for Macrumors to revisit some howtos for features like this to post along side new product "news" articles.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
It makes you wait 10 seconds after the first failure, then 60 seconds, and then 180 seconds. I didn't test beyond that, but I'm fairly certain it won't erase your phone after 10 failed password attempts. A kid having the patience to wait that long to attempt 10 times would be impressive and unlikely.
Mine had the idea to do this once. Triple click with guided access. He thought he found the light when he overlooked me clicking 3 times. He locked himself out his iPad for a certain period of time - longer than he'd anticipated. Needless to say there was some tears involved and he'll never do that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.