CES 2017: Linksys Reveals 'Velop' Router System With Lag-Free Wi-Fi Mesh Network

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Linksys today announced a modular Wi-Fi system called "Velop," which boosts internet coverage throughout any style of home thanks to its multi-unit set-up, similar to products like Google Wi-Fi and Eero (via The Verge). Linksys said that Velop can be set up in just minutes and delivers some of the fastest and most reliable Wi-Fi in the multi-unit router market.

[​IMG]

Like similar products, Velop's advantage lies in its ability to be placed situationally around a home to create a steady blanket of internet coverage with no dead spots, even in oddly shaped houses. The company said that Velop "outperforms traditional routers and range extenders" because it doesn't degrade as users move farther away from the router.

Velop is also a tri-band system, meaning that one of its three Wi-Fi radios is constantly dedicated to communication between each router to ensure there's no speed drop off at any point in the connection. The "100% Wi-Fi mesh network signal" means that users get constant, seamless Wi-Fi with no buffering or lag.

[​IMG]
    A connected Linksys app also makes it easy for users to manage their Wi-Fi from afar, including parental control settings, device prioritization to ensure extra-solid internet for streaming to an Apple TV for example, speed tests, and various other settings. Velop works with Amazon Alexa as well, so users can interact with the router system with their voice.

[​IMG]

Velop goes on sale today at a steeper price in comparison to other multi-unit routers: it runs for $499.99 for a 3-pack, $349.99 for a 2-pack, and $199.99 for one Velop router.

Article Link: CES 2017: Linksys Reveals 'Velop' Router System With Lag-Free Wi-Fi Mesh Network

2. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Apple needs to step up and release a mesh network system.

3. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

Orbi with two unites sells for more. Amplifi HD is $350. Not sure this actually is a "steeper price".

4. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Wifi router market has been dying for some time. After people initially bought one, there's little reason to buy a new one for years.

Now to revive sales, router makers are coming up with these new setups and pushing them as must-haves.

The reality is that a standard 802.11n router is more than fast enough for almost all users. Very very few will see any benefit from these new routers. But that won't stop them from making you believe that you'll see huge benefits from dropping $500 on a new setup.

5. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Does it have Ethernet? I can't find any specs on it...

6. Xavier macrumors 68030

Yes, I can finally lay out in the yard and stream Netflix in the corner of the lawn without signal degradation. I just need to position the new station on the deck. These are waterproof right?

7. jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

I like how everyone else is coming out with these cool routers (Linksys, Google, and some others) while Apple is allegedly exiting the business. Bummer.

8. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

This is for people with large houses. I have friends who can't get a wi fi signal in parts of their house, so they have multiple wifi networks. A system like this would allow them to run a single network. A single network would also make it easier to set up home automation.

9. jardinager macrumors regular

jardinager

I'll keep my eero set-up. It's the best wifi system around for the money.

10. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

A part of me thinks they are going to soon. Either that or I'm buying the google one.

11. SpamJunkie macrumors regular

I don't think so. Many people complain about bad wifi at home: dead spots, slow speeds, etc. It depends on your home; for a lot of people mesh will make a big improvement. Not only that, lots of people will see a difference between an old 802.11n router and a modern 802.11ac one. The differences may not be as big as they were in the past, and it's not for _everyone_, but these aren't esoteric, contrived technologies.

12. jumanji macrumors regular

i think the reason Apple is exiting the market is because in 10-20 years, most cities will have citywide wifi either because the city offers it or because some carrier like att or spectrum will offer it. there's just no reason to stay in this area...these are cool though

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Mine is close. I have 4 Airports all cable connected spread around my house. I can roam without any drops in coverage. I assume by mesh you are asking for the ability to spread routers/access points around the house wirelessly without any degradation to the wireless service like we see today. If I add a router wirelessly it will only provide half the rated speed because it needs half of the bandwidth to communicate with the main router and half to communicate with your device. Tri-band here is solving that it looks like. Anyhow, I would like to see Apple continue the Airport line of products but it looks like they are done. Too bad.

14. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Not really about speed, but about accessibility. These mesh networks are meant to replace scenarios under which a repeater would've previously been used. As illustrated in the article, when using a repeater, the network speed is halved with every hop you take. My house is an old house with lathe and plaster walls and 2 floors + a basement -- getting a signal from one corner of the second floor to the main floor is next to impossible without severe degradation. Even in mid-sized apartments, dead spots and slower wifi can occur regardless of beam-forming.

Aside from dead spot management, I really love having wired network segments talking to each other over wifi. It means i can let the network device handle wifi communication and let older legacy devices like, say, video game consoles, work over the wire. The benefit there is that I don't need to broadcast a separate 802.11g network or bring down the speed of my ac network and I don't need to wire the house to get a reasonably decent network connection.

Regardless of whether "many, many users" or "very, very few users" will see benefits, these systems scale outward. So all you have to do is pay for the base unit up front and can add nodes to the network as budgets allow or network segments grow.

15. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Anyone know if these systems (Google or Linksys) can be configured as access points instead of routers? I have a VPN router I don't intend on replacing. I need something that can cover a large house but be just access points.

16. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Now we know why they are exiting the traditional router business. They clearly know that times are changing and they don't want to look antiquated with their product line. Too bad that they already do. Yes, I'm speaking to you Mac mini and Mac Pro.

17. NightFox, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

I honestly think that Tim Cook believes that's what the real world is like already - every step Apple takes these days seems to be based on the assumption that all of us enjoy seamless high-speed, low-cost access to the Internet wherever we may be every second of every day.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    How did that work for you? I've tried various configurations of Airport Expresses dotted around my house to boost the signal from my Airport Extreme (all on the same network), the problem I always encountered would be that devices would "cling" to an Express as long as it had a single, no matter how weak, rather than automatically switch to the Express/Extreme with the strongest signal as I moved round the house.

18. kghoops macrumors newbie

kghoops

Hope this has more than one LAN port since the Google Wifi device doesn't. I'd rather have additional ports built in than have to buy a small switch in addition to this for wired devices.

19. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I live in a very vertical house. Four floors with just a single router on the second floor - you can hardly get a signal on the fourth floor. The current router cost me $300 when I bought it 3 years ago. Maybe I'll buy the $350 two pack and have one on the second and third floor...

20. macpanzer macrumors regular

There is nothing stopping them from having a single network now, without any new devices. Just configure both the access points with the same SSID and password and put them on different (preferrably non overlapping) channels. There will be a single WIFI network and clients will be roaming between the access points should they move around.

21. Indy_Larry macrumors newbie

Come on Linksys..... Only being able to prioritize 3 devices for QOS. Thats lame for a mesh network

22. groovyf macrumors 6502

I've got a Time Capsule on the top floor (extending network from the Extreme wirelessly), my Airport Extreme hooked up to Home Hub 5 on middle floor, and an Airport Express on lower floor (extending network via powerline ethernet). It's working a treat for me with iPad/iPhone/laptop migrating seamlessly between each device when moving around floors. There has been a split-second static image when FaceTiming if I'm moving around.
    Mine's a modern house (12 years old), but 5Ghz signal from middle floor barely gets to lower floor, and 2.4Ghz not much better! (Feels like I'm in a Faraday Cage)
    When I first got the Airport Extreme (in living room) to extend my network, I found my LG TV couldn't see it as it was running on a channel outside the TV's range (Express was on 100 I think). I altered it to 36 and then the TV saw it. I believe European channels are something like 32-44 - and outside of that the TV wasn't playing ball!

I do like the idea of the mesh WiFi though.

23. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Nonsense, when you're moving files around a network a lot, Wireless AC makes a HUGE difference to transfer times. With a strong signal it can saturate gigabit ethernet connected computers. Ditto for using AirDrop to move to iOS devices and back too.

24. te5s3rakt macrumors newbie

There's no mention of the Netgear Orbi... The Linksys sounds like a same as that... Tri Band and all...

25. 2457282 Suspended

I switched from Apple to eero in September. This product by linksys is basically the same and priced the same. I can tell you that my eero mesh network is amazingly better than the Apple setup I had. It will be interesting to see how this compares to eero, which was the best I could find at the time and am happy to have purchased. The other great thing with eero is that they have upgrade the product twice via software/firmware pushes so they actually are getting better.