CES 2018: Satechi Announces 75W USB-C Multiport Travel Charger

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Satechi today announced the launch of a new 75W USB-C travel charger that's equipped with multiple ports to charge all of your devices with one simple power adapter.

The 75W Multiport Travel Charger offers four charging ports, including a USB-C power delivery port, two USB 3.0 ports, and one Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 port.

[​IMG]

The USB-C port can provide up to 60W of power, making it suitable for the 12-inch MacBook, the 13-inch MacBook Pro, and similar USB-C devices. It can also charge a 15-inch MacBook Pro, but as that machine accepts up to 87W of power, it may not charge fully with the Multiport Travel Charger when under a heavy workload.

While charging a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the Travel Charger can also charge your iOS devices at the same time, with up to 75W of total power provided.

[​IMG]

When using the USB-C port with a USB-C to Lightning cable, the Travel Charger enables fast charging on supported devices like the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X.

Satechi says the Travel Charger features an input range of 100-240V, allowing it to meet the voltage requirements of multiple countries. It has also been designed with a compact size to make it easy to fit into a backpack or luggage.

Satechi's USB-C 75W Multiport Travel Charger can be purchased for $60 from Amazon.com or directly from the Satechi website for $64.99.

Article Link: CES 2018: Satechi Announces 75W USB-C Multiport Travel Charger

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Or you could get one with the same options for about $25 on Amazon.

3. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I hope this gets tested by Nathan or Ben.

USB-C is kind of the Wild West. I don’t trust plugging my MacBook into anything except the official charger.

4. sockdoggy macrumors regular

How is this different than Anker’s? 15 more watts I suppose

5. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502

Scottsoapbox

If this could also power my Surface Pro it would be interesting.

6. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Anker makes a higher wattage one too.

7. sixthdimension macrumors newbie

Still waiting for a charger with multiple USB-C PD ports so I can fast charge everything.

8. Relentless Power, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The only 75W USB-C for $25.00 you referenced in price point was made from Cynergy was available from Amazon with reviews saying it was poorly insulated, overheats and cheaply made. You get what you pay for. And I wouldn't trust a $25.00 Product with my expensive electronics. Having The 'same options' is not always a better solution. Spending your money on a more reputable and well-made product for expensive electronics seems like a safer bet to me.

$25.00 option you mentioned:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728MVDZ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SNMvAbJHJ4CPT

9. Mildredop macrumors 68020

When will MacBook Pros charge over USB so I don't have to carry a charger for my Mac and a charger for everything else?

10. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

$60... [​IMG]

11. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

Super excited about these. I don’t own a 2016 MacBook Pro but I was able to charge my cousin’s 15” in about 6 hours using a 12W Anker and a USB-A to C cable. That already seemed super convenient for traveling to me.

12. sofakng macrumors regular

Where is Anker charger that supports USB-C PD AND QC 3.0? I don't think anything exists?

13. mongobongo macrumors member

MacBook Pros have charged over USB-C since 2016.

14. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

You laugh until your stuff melts, blows up or catches on fire.

15. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Can you link to the Anker one you are talking about? I can't seem to find anything that compares. I feel dumb.

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

What's wrong with a little hotel room fire? /s

My first employer manufactured public safety equipment, There were a few fires in homes of first responders, a fire station, and a city building. Most were caused by a 'lower priced' or counterfeit charging and power accessories.

I will always purchase an OEM or name brand battery and charger, even if it costs more.

17. Wawajey macrumors member

18. roar08 macrumors regular

roar08

19. az431 macrumors 6502

Actually it can't be purchased from either website.

20. Braderunner macrumors 6502

21. spazer macrumors member

This looks like the same product as the ZeroLemon 75W charger. I've had this charger for 2 months and it charges my iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pro 15 TB over USC-C, and I use the QC3.0 port with a Qi charger with iPhone Xs. No problems at all. No overheating, no weird issues, just works.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728MVDZ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SNMvAbJHJ4CPT

22. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

SO let me get this straight. You're basically carrying this around instead of your MacBook power brick? And are you able to run multiple devices on it simultaneously with your MacBook?

23. Mildredop, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

Mildredop macrumors 68020

Have they? I didn't know this.

How odd that, as an Android user, I'd only have to carry one charger and one cable. But a loyal iPhone user would have to carry a USB-C charger for their Mac and a Lightning charger for their iPhone.

24. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

You know what would be really cool? If it was also a hub that allowed say, your MacBook to access a USB hard drive or your phone while it was plugged in and charging from one of the USB ports in the hub.