• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week at CES, Ford provided new details about a partnership with navigation app Waze, which will bring Waze's GPS directions onto the touch screen of SYNC 3 vehicles when connected via USB to an iPhone. Powered by Ford AppLink, the feature will let users operate Waze "completely through a vehicle's touch screen," as well as allow for voice control.

As long as the Ford vehicle includes a SYNC 3 infotainment system, users will be able to plug their iPhone into the USB port while running Waze to see the app projected onto the dashboard's touch screen system. Afterwards, all of Waze's features will be accessible, including crowdsourced navigation updates, liking and disliking user-created warnings, adding a new hazard report, carpool lane navigation, and Talk to Waze voice commands.

ford-waze.jpg
"Our goal is to bring a human-centered approach to technology in the vehicle, making it as easy as possible for people to integrate the tools that matter most to them," said Don Butler, Ford executive director, Connected Vehicle and Services. "With the flexibility of our SYNC 3 software and AppLink, customers can easily use Waze to get all the traffic and navigation help they need - on a big screen and without having to fiddle around with their phones while driving."
The partnership was previously announced at Mobile World Congress last year, and Waze product lead for in-car applications, Jens Baron, mentioned that the company has been working on optimizing the Waze experience on an infotainment system since that time. Using Ford's AppLink SmartDeviceLink (SDL) on iOS, Baron explained that users will "get the most updated version from Waze," and it will be the same as driving with Waze on a smartphone.

Ford explained that the Waze integration will launch in the coming weeks and will be supported on any 2018 model year Ford vehicle that has SYNC 3 version 3.0 or greater. Other vehicles with SYNC 3 will also be able to get Waze via an over-the-air update or update via USB. In addition to Waze, Ford said that other SYNC AppLink integrations will be coming soon, like iHeartRadio.

Ford began expanding its CarPlay support in mid 2016 when it announced its SYNC 3 infotainment system -- which features CarPlay and Android Auto -- would be available across its entire 2017 lineup of cars, SUVs, light trucks, and electric vehicles in the United States. Then in 2017, Ford released a SYNC 3 software update that added CarPlay and Android Auto support to its older 2016 model year vehicles, allowing more users to access Apple apps like Maps, Phone, Music, Messages, and more on their dashboard.

Article Link: CES 2018: SYNC 3-Enabled Ford Vehicles Gaining Waze Support Through iOS AppLink

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not a great deal. Just means broadcasting your screen to the car screen. This is no different than AppRadio or even CarPlay. Still means your phone is the one doing all the processing and taking the battery hit.

Waze is a resource hog, kills your battery, and attempts to track your location even when you're not using it. While it's great for getting you places, it's horrid in so many other ways.

Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Not a great deal. Just means broadcasting your screen to the car screen. This is no different than AppRadio or even CarPlay. Still means your phone is the one doing all the processing and taking the battery hit.

Waze is a resource hog, kills your battery, and attempts to track your location even when you're not using it. While it's great for getting you places, it's horrid in so many other ways.
Your phone will be plugged in to use this, so battery should not be an issue beyond maybe slower charging.
This is actually an interesting option for iPhone users to gain access to an alternative navigation software besides Apple Maps.

Last edited:
Comment

rdinterman

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
I love my CarPlay but would kill to have Waze or Google Maps on it, likely will never happen. I sometime run Waze in the background on my iPhone even with CarPlay running Apple Maps. At least I get the audio of the warnings from Waze.

Reactions: Statusnone88
Comment

namenotfound

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012

Waze uses your phone GPS just like Apple Maps. Under Location Services, Waze can be set to "While Using", it might even be the default. I have a 2017 Ford with Sync 3. I am pleased that Waze will now be on my big screen rather than my iPhone 6s. Now if Sync 3 could have Google Maps too, I might never use CarPlay again.
[doublepost=1515677792][/doublepost]
What has kept Apple from allowing Waze on CarPlay?

Uh, that would be Apple. They control what app's get CarPlay support.

Reactions: SWHighlander
Comment

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
You phone will be plugged in to use this, so battery should not be an issue beyond maybe slower charging.
This is actually an interesting option for iPhone users to gain access to an alternative navigation software besides Apple Maps.
Also for iPhone X users, no fear of screen burn in for long road trips

Comment

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
I prefer Apple Maps in CarPlay, but this is pretty cool news nonetheless. More options are nice. At the very least, it confirms that SYNC 3 v3.0 is coming to our MKX’s :)

Comment

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
I rented a brand new Ford last month and was absolutely appalled by how piss poor SYNC3 was. The worst part is that the system is impossible to rip out and replace with an aftermarket unit, as it uses a custom screen and is all tangled up with non-audio car systems. I would never consider buying a Ford as long as they keep using this garbage.

Reactions: daye
Comment

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
This is good news for Apple users, but I wonder how well and consistently it will work. There are already quirks with CarPlay and Android Auto, and the car makers have a pretty simple task with them. This is a more integrated thing that seems like it might easily get out of sync with versioning between the car and phone.

Comment

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I rented a brand new Ford last month and was absolutely appalled by how piss poor SYNC3 was. The worst part is that the system is impossible to rip out and replace with an aftermarket unit, as it uses a custom screen and is all tangled up with non-audio car systems. I would never consider buying a Ford as long as they keep using this garbage.

I think the only thing worse is the Dodge/Chrysler system. Linking your phone has to be done via voice prompts with about 15 steps and you can't reply with things like "yes" or "no" until they finish each steps lengthy instructions. Domestic manufacturers just seem to be horrible at this type of thing. That and refusing to put in a $10 speaker so you end up having to listen to a car honk every time you lock the doors, why do people buy American vehicles??

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
That and refusing to put in a $10 speaker so you end up having to listen to a car honk every time you lock the doors

I prefer that, so I can confirm while I lock it from far away as a double check. My old Ford’s used to honk with a door lock, but in their new Lincoln’s, they just chirp and I’m not a fan. It’s not so bad since they have a pretty awesome mobile app now so I can confirm the doors are locked from anywhere in the world, but I do miss the noticeable honk when in range. To each their own.

As far as I know, this was a change in the 2017 MKX’s. I don’t know if they’ve gone to the chirp in other models, or reversed it in the Nautilus.

Comment

one more

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

I disagree. IMO, this is a big deal and a step in the right directions for car makers, so people do not need to worry whether their car will support Android or Apple car solutions.

As for Waze itself, all the major navigation apps have a big impact on battery, so it is better to drive with your phone plugged in anyway. As for constant location tracking, this is wrong too, as in iOS 11 you can set Waze to tracking you only when the app is active. Besides, Waze has a dedicated Switch Off button in the app itself, which totally disabled all of its activities until the next launch.

Happy driving!

Comment

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas

I'll concur on all counts... except that with the most recent iOS version we are no longer forced to choose "track always" or "track never". The option to "track while using the app" is permanently available. Makes a HUGE difference.

Comment

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Waze uses your phone GPS just like Apple Maps. Under Location Services, Waze can be set to "While Using", it might even be the default. I have a 2017 Ford with Sync 3. I am pleased that Waze will now be on my big screen rather than my iPhone 6s. Now if Sync 3 could have Google Maps too, I might never use CarPlay again.
[doublepost=1515677792][/doublepost]

Uh, that would be Apple. They control what app's get CarPlay support.

Is this accurate? I don't specifically have an answer but suspect there's a set of criteria that must be followed for CarPlay support. It could just as easily be Waze not providing a CarPlay version. Given that Waze is cross-platform I would suspect that consistency across those various platforms would be a higher priority. Could be wrong though. ???

Comment

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Hey Ford, how about focusing your effort on building cars that keep your customers happy after 3 years? Ever seen the resale value of a Ford after 3 years? It's garbage. So are they're cars after 3 winters, based on 4 family members that walked away after a few cars each. Man... that felt good! :p

Reactions: daye
Comment

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
This makes me wonder how Apple will take the news. Their internal politics of CarPlay application restrictions may result in a lower attachment rate for users during their drives. This makes CarPlay less vital for manufacturers to license.
I wonder if they would consider opening up to more complex UI and Apps in Catplay as a result.

Comment

slineaudi

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2009
Just means broadcasting your screen to the car screen. This is no different than AppRadio or even CarPlay. Still means your phone is the one doing all the processing and taking the battery hit.

This is the configuration we want. I replace my phone every year or two. I replace my car every 4-5 years. I would rather have the "brains" in the phone and have the car be a "dumb" interface that requires fewer changes to stay compatible with the latest phone.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I'll concur on all counts... except that with the most recent iOS version we are no longer forced to choose "track always" or "track never". The option to "track while using the app" is permanently available. Makes a HUGE difference.

It does but if set to "Only when using" then your phone has to be opened to the Waze app and unlocked all the time. Makes it a real pain and uses more power and additional processing. Also results in greater heat which is the killer of batteries.

Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Before my ride got CarPlay, I might have been excited about this, but now, 98% of the time, my iPhone is connected and I'm in CP. I sort of appreciate that App Link is adding new apps, and certainly Waze is sort of a big deal - the real problem with CP is not unlike pre-tvOS boxes, a closed, limited application/distribution model. I don't think we need Candy Crush in CP, but clearly there's a few notable omissions.
[doublepost=1515684617][/doublepost]Checking it out right now ...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.