CES 2018: SYNC 3-Enabled Ford Vehicles Gaining Waze Support Through iOS AppLink

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

This week at CES, Ford provided new details about a partnership with navigation app Waze, which will bring Waze's GPS directions onto the touch screen of SYNC 3 vehicles when connected via USB to an iPhone. Powered by Ford AppLink, the feature will let users operate Waze "completely through a vehicle's touch screen," as well as allow for voice control.

As long as the Ford vehicle includes a SYNC 3 infotainment system, users will be able to plug their iPhone into the USB port while running Waze to see the app projected onto the dashboard's touch screen system. Afterwards, all of Waze's features will be accessible, including crowdsourced navigation updates, liking and disliking user-created warnings, adding a new hazard report, carpool lane navigation, and Talk to Waze voice commands.

[​IMG]
    The partnership was previously announced at Mobile World Congress last year, and Waze product lead for in-car applications, Jens Baron, mentioned that the company has been working on optimizing the Waze experience on an infotainment system since that time. Using Ford's AppLink SmartDeviceLink (SDL) on iOS, Baron explained that users will "get the most updated version from Waze," and it will be the same as driving with Waze on a smartphone.

Ford explained that the Waze integration will launch in the coming weeks and will be supported on any 2018 model year Ford vehicle that has SYNC 3 version 3.0 or greater. Other vehicles with SYNC 3 will also be able to get Waze via an over-the-air update or update via USB. In addition to Waze, Ford said that other SYNC AppLink integrations will be coming soon, like iHeartRadio.

Ford began expanding its CarPlay support in mid 2016 when it announced its SYNC 3 infotainment system -- which features CarPlay and Android Auto -- would be available across its entire 2017 lineup of cars, SUVs, light trucks, and electric vehicles in the United States. Then in 2017, Ford released a SYNC 3 software update that added CarPlay and Android Auto support to its older 2016 model year vehicles, allowing more users to access Apple apps like Maps, Phone, Music, Messages, and more on their dashboard.

Article Link: CES 2018: SYNC 3-Enabled Ford Vehicles Gaining Waze Support Through iOS AppLink

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Not a great deal. Just means broadcasting your screen to the car screen. This is no different than AppRadio or even CarPlay. Still means your phone is the one doing all the processing and taking the battery hit.

Waze is a resource hog, kills your battery, and attempts to track your location even when you're not using it. While it's great for getting you places, it's horrid in so many other ways.

3. err404, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

err404 macrumors 68020

Your phone will be plugged in to use this, so battery should not be an issue beyond maybe slower charging.
    This is actually an interesting option for iPhone users to gain access to an alternative navigation software besides Apple Maps.

4. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

5. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

I love my CarPlay but would kill to have Waze or Google Maps on it, likely will never happen. I sometime run Waze in the background on my iPhone even with CarPlay running Apple Maps. At least I get the audio of the warnings from Waze.

6. namenotfound macrumors newbie

Waze uses your phone GPS just like Apple Maps. Under Location Services, Waze can be set to "While Using", it might even be the default. I have a 2017 Ford with Sync 3. I am pleased that Waze will now be on my big screen rather than my iPhone 6s. Now if Sync 3 could have Google Maps too, I might never use CarPlay again.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Uh, that would be Apple. They control what app's get CarPlay support.

7. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Also for iPhone X users, no fear of screen burn in for long road trips

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

The ads littered in the apps.....

9. anzio macrumors 6502

I prefer Apple Maps in CarPlay, but this is pretty cool news nonetheless. More options are nice. At the very least, it confirms that SYNC 3 v3.0 is coming to our MKX’s :)

10. LordJohnWhorfin macrumors regular

I rented a brand new Ford last month and was absolutely appalled by how piss poor SYNC3 was. The worst part is that the system is impossible to rip out and replace with an aftermarket unit, as it uses a custom screen and is all tangled up with non-audio car systems. I would never consider buying a Ford as long as they keep using this garbage.

11. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This is good news for Apple users, but I wonder how well and consistently it will work. There are already quirks with CarPlay and Android Auto, and the car makers have a pretty simple task with them. This is a more integrated thing that seems like it might easily get out of sync with versioning between the car and phone.

12. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I think the only thing worse is the Dodge/Chrysler system. Linking your phone has to be done via voice prompts with about 15 steps and you can't reply with things like "yes" or "no" until they finish each steps lengthy instructions. Domestic manufacturers just seem to be horrible at this type of thing. That and refusing to put in a $10 speaker so you end up having to listen to a car honk every time you lock the doors, why do people buy American vehicles??

13. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The fact it’s Google-driven, and doesn’t use Apple Maps

14. anzio macrumors 6502

I prefer that, so I can confirm while I lock it from far away as a double check. My old Ford’s used to honk with a door lock, but in their new Lincoln’s, they just chirp and I’m not a fan. It’s not so bad since they have a pretty awesome mobile app now so I can confirm the doors are locked from anywhere in the world, but I do miss the noticeable honk when in range. To each their own.

As far as I know, this was a change in the 2017 MKX’s. I don’t know if they’ve gone to the chirp in other models, or reversed it in the Nautilus.

15. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I disagree. IMO, this is a big deal and a step in the right directions for car makers, so people do not need to worry whether their car will support Android or Apple car solutions.

As for Waze itself, all the major navigation apps have a big impact on battery, so it is better to drive with your phone plugged in anyway. As for constant location tracking, this is wrong too, as in iOS 11 you can set Waze to tracking you only when the app is active. Besides, Waze has a dedicated Switch Off button in the app itself, which totally disabled all of its activities until the next launch.

Happy driving!

16. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

I'll concur on all counts... except that with the most recent iOS version we are no longer forced to choose "track always" or "track never". The option to "track while using the app" is permanently available. Makes a HUGE difference.

17. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I guess people using Waze instead of Apple Maps, so less live traffic feedback from iPhone users? For accurate road conditions, Waze is still a king, so Apple Maps would be losing there.

18. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

Is this accurate? I don't specifically have an answer but suspect there's a set of criteria that must be followed for CarPlay support. It could just as easily be Waze not providing a CarPlay version. Given that Waze is cross-platform I would suspect that consistency across those various platforms would be a higher priority. Could be wrong though. ???

19. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Hey Ford, how about focusing your effort on building cars that keep your customers happy after 3 years? Ever seen the resale value of a Ford after 3 years? It's garbage. So are they're cars after 3 winters, based on 4 family members that walked away after a few cars each. Man... that felt good! :p

20. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

How about this as a feature: Waze functionality overlaid on top of Apple Maps!

21. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Waze is a must for daily commuting.

22. err404 macrumors 68020

This makes me wonder how Apple will take the news. Their internal politics of CarPlay application restrictions may result in a lower attachment rate for users during their drives. This makes CarPlay less vital for manufacturers to license.
    I wonder if they would consider opening up to more complex UI and Apps in Catplay as a result.

23. slineaudi macrumors member

This is the configuration we want. I replace my phone every year or two. I replace my car every 4-5 years. I would rather have the "brains" in the phone and have the car be a "dumb" interface that requires fewer changes to stay compatible with the latest phone.

24. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

It does but if set to "Only when using" then your phone has to be opened to the Waze app and unlocked all the time. Makes it a real pain and uses more power and additional processing. Also results in greater heat which is the killer of batteries.

25. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Before my ride got CarPlay, I might have been excited about this, but now, 98% of the time, my iPhone is connected and I'm in CP. I sort of appreciate that App Link is adding new apps, and certainly Waze is sort of a big deal - the real problem with CP is not unlike pre-tvOS boxes, a closed, limited application/distribution model. I don't think we need Candy Crush in CP, but clearly there's a few notable omissions.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    Checking it out right now ...