CES 2018: SYNC 3-Enabled Ford Vehicles Gaining Waze Support Through iOS AppLink

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 11, 2018.

1. daye macrumors member

My 2014 Ford Fusion ‘s APIM basic Sync recently dead and Dealer wanted to charge me $1000 to replace it (without large screen and CarPlay) I bought a Sony CarPlay for $350 and s custom fit for $500. Bestbuy installed it for me, total cost is $1,000(including 4 years warranty). I like the CarPlay unit.

2. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Ideally, there should be no proprietary infotainment solutions, neither from phone vendors or automakers. There should be an open-source, standards-driven solution that allows any phone and its apps to connect to the car's display and audio.

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You must have had an older system because that's certainly not the case with any of their Uconnect 3 or 4 series systems that have been going in most of their vehicles since MY2013. My only gripe with the Uconnect 3 was that they never updated it to work with CarPlay, but all of the Uconnect 4 systems now have it.

4. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I think I've had two of these in the past year as rental vehicles. I'm not sure exactly what model year they were but I'd expect 2017 (would have been Hertz, Avis, or National and all three tend to have current model year vehicles). Both times involved me sitting in the rental center car park for ten minutes as I navigated the voice prompts to connect my phone. It was such a bad UX. Maybe there's another path that I couldn't find but again if I'm funneled into that horrible interface because the better path's location isn't intuitive it's a bad user experience.

5. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Not sure when but Waze until recently had only two options, Never and Always on.
    The While using is may have started sometime in 2017?

6. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

Haha! Thanks Ford! Apple maps is absolutely useless!

7. spitcoff macrumors newbie

Carplay is nice but fairly useless to me as it can not control the satellite radio in my car and i don't pay extra for the app access. If WAZE were to come to carplay I would use it alot more.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Oh OK, I have no idea what low end junk they may put in rental vehicles. I'm just going by my own experience with a 2016 Dodge Challenger and 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, both of which have the 8.4" touchscreen systems which work great and don't require any voice prompts at all to setup Bluetooth phone access, it's all done simply enough just using the touchscreen.

9. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

You have to have Waze running on your phone and your phone plugged in. Why am I not excited by this at all

10. Peepo macrumors 6502a

I didn't realize IOS apps could do this and I thought they had to go through the Apple CarPlay interface.
    What is stopping Google from doing this with Google maps then?

What happens if I have Waze and then plug my iPhone into my Sync 3? Will I get option to flip between CarPlay and and Waze?

11. RealWoeo macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    This is not an issue with CarPlay, this is an issue with your service provider.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    You are not telling the truth.

12. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

There's a specific application interface (and SDK) for Ford Sync 3 called App Link, an application has to be specifically written to comply. It's not CarPlay, it's the "native" Sync UI + app, there's a few major apps like Spotify, Pandora, MLB, NPR - I can understand the reluctance to spend cycles supporting it since it's specific to one manufacturer.

13. subjonas macrumors 65816

What I’d like is to be able to broadcast from any map/navigation app on my phone to my car screen. That will free up my phone screen to be used for music or podcasts, again using any app I want. I don’t want to be locked into using the apps that CarPlay or car manufacturers allow.

Or I might want to not use a car screen at all and just have a better way to see information from both apps (navigation and audio) on my iPhone screen. Something similar to the Spotify-Waze integration with a main active app and minimal info from the non-active app shown on top with one touch switching between the two apps—except I want this integration between any map/navigation app and any audio app, which means it would need to be built into iOS, which means it probably won’t happen.

14. ckhris1613 macrumors regular

How about no

15. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

This is the best news out of CES. Love CarPlay, hate Apple Maps. I absolutely adore Waze. Can’t wait to use it in my mustang in the next couple of weeks!!

16. maidentrat macrumors newbie

maidentrat

It may not be for you but for me it’s huge. Unlike most of you guys, here in the UAE Carplay only allows us to make calls, read messages and listen to music everything you can do over Bluetooth without the need of CarPlay and all the other apps including maps simply don’t work. So to now have an alternative navigation option to the factory installed one if you are lucky enough to have it is great. Plus Waze, over here at least I always find to be the most acccurate with the ever changing roads and for recording accidents/jams to help you plan an alternative route.

17. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502

You might not like that, but I would... and suspect many others would too. This is where deep API integration would be great. Being able to combine and overlay functionality could expand the usefulness of map apps far beyond their original purposes. Apple (and Google) Maps already has traffic overlays. Seems a short jump to allowing other products to do the same.

18. robjulo macrumors 65816

I’ll take the “horrid” Waze over Apple maps any day of the week.

19. terrywfoster macrumors regular

When is it live? Not working in my 2017 Ford Sync 3 vehicle when I plug in.

20. anzio macrumors 6502

What version of SYNC 3 are you on? General consensus is that you need to be on SYNC 3 v3.0. If your 2017 is anything like our 2017 Lincoln MKX's, you're probably on SYNC 3 v2.3, with an update to v3.0 coming "soon" according to Ford. I don't believe 2.3 supports Waze. There's probably some preparation that needs to be done on Waze's end too.

21. terrywfoster macrumors regular

22. anzio macrumors 6502

Interesting. I seen someone mention that it may be out in March. Outside of that, have you disabled CarPlay and opened the Waze app, then tapped the Apps button at the bottom of the Sync screen?

I don’t believe you can have CarPlay enabled when using AppLink. If you did disable CarPlay, opened Waze, tapped Apps at the bottom and still don’t see it, it’s probably being released later this year. Probably alongside 3.0 for older vehicles.

23. flynny19 macrumors newbie

Has anybody seen this working yet? Not working on my 2018 F150. Very curious about launch date.

24. anzio macrumors 6502

March has floated around for this release.

25. valenrandy macrumors member

valenrandy

I'm still waiting for this to come out as well. I have Sync 3 V2.3 and when I disable CarPlay and the few apps I have load up on the app button on the car display, they really don't work. If I select accuweather or any other app it takes me to a blank screen. It never has really worked for me on the app link side of things :-(