CES 2020: August Debuts Smaller and Sleeker Wi-Fi Smart Lock With HomeKit Support and No Bridge Required

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

August today introduced a new HomeKit-enabled Wi-Fi Smart Lock. As the product name implies, the lock features built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, eliminating the need to use a bridge that was previously required.

August says the Wi-Fi Smart Lock is 45 percent smaller and 20 percent slimmer than its Smart Lock Pro. Available in matte black and silver, the lock also sports a sleeker design with more rounded edges.

As with other smart locks, the Wi-Fi Smart Lock allows you to lock or unlock a door remotely and grant access to family members, friends, and trusted visitors. And with the Activity Feed, you can know who is coming and going at any time, complete with push notifications. There are also auto-lock and auto-unlock features.

HomeKit support allows the lock to be controlled through the Home app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch, or with Siri voice commands. For example, on an iPhone or HomePod, you could say "Hey Siri, lock my front door." The lock also supports Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and a few other platforms.

Installing the Wi-Fi Smart Lock takes less than 10 minutes, according to August. The lock can be installed on the inside of your door over your existing deadbolt, without touching the outside lock, allowing you to keep your existing deadbolt and keys. August door locks are compatible with most single cylinder deadbolts.

August says the Wi-Fi Smart Lock will soon be available to purchase on its website, but it has yet to reveal an exact release date or pricing. Interested customers can sign up to be notified when it is available.

Article Link: CES 2020: August Debuts Smaller and Sleeker Wi-Fi Smart Lock With HomeKit Support and No Bridge Required

Jaromir Kopp

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
Osolin
No Bridge Required” It's a bit of a weird headline, after all HomeKit experts know that Apple prohibits bridging of security devices. Locks cannot have a bridge, because Apple prohibits - and that's it.

jeremyfernie

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019
No Bridge Required” It's a bit of a weird headline, after all HomeKit experts know that Apple prohibits bridging of security devices. Locks cannot have a bridge, because Apple prohibits - and that's it.
My August Smartlock Pro requires the (wall-wart style) Connect bridge to give it WiFi (app, homexit, etc) access. Bluetooth-only otherwise.

The more interesting bit (IMO) is the (2x) CR123 battery spec.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
The bridge is an option even with current August locks. It just makes them work better with their App.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Whether or no...

I got one of their locks last year. With a bridge. The lock itself is Bluetooth only. The part that is HomeKit compatible is the bridge. That said, I love it. It works flawlessly, as long as the bolt slides in and out of the doorframe fairly smoothly.

I hate keys and am glad to be down one more. Don’t ignore the battery low message!! I did once and was locked out. Fortunately someone was home.

Still amazed cars haven’t gone truly keyless. My 2008 Toyota Highlander doesn’t have a physical key to start it, but you do have to have a fob on you for the car to operate. Pisser.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Whether or no...

I got one of their locks last year. With a bridge. The lock itself is Bluetooth only. The part that is HomeKit compatible is the bridge. That said, I love it. It works flawlessly, as long as the bolt slides in and out of the doorframe fairly smoothly.

I hate keys and am glad to be down one more. Don’t ignore the battery low message!! I did once and was locked out. Fortunately someone was home.

Still amazed cars haven’t gone truly keyless. My 2008 Toyota Highlander doesn’t have a physical key to start it, but you do have to have a fob on you for the car to operate. Pisser.
2020 Hyundai’s, BMWs, Mercedes, and of course Tesla Model 3s Ofer a phone as key option.

DeanLubaki

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2014
Toronto
My August Smartlock Pro requires the (wall-wart style) Connect bridge to give it WiFi (app, homexit, etc) access. Bluetooth-only otherwise.

The more interesting bit (IMO) is the (2x) CR123 battery spec.
You're confused. The August Lock 3rd Gen is still HomeKit without the bridge: but it's Bluetooth. An Apple TV, HomePod or iPad can be used to talk to it from outside of the home.
The August Bridge is for the remote functionality of the August App, not HomeKit.

Reactions: anzio and KJH

steve123

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2007
What is the battery life and communication reliability? I have a Schlage lock and the battery lifetime is pathetic. Moreover, reliability is a big problem. Lock often cannot be unlocked when I ask it to.

Reactions: extrachrispy

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
What is the battery life and communication reliability? I have a Schlage lock and the battery lifetime is pathetic. Moreover, reliability is a big problem. Lock often cannot be unlocked when I ask it to.
If you think Schlage has a bad battery life, don't move to August. My old Schlage would last about a year on a set of batteries. My first-gen August lasts about 3 months.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
4AAs last about 3 months. Mine has worked flawlessly.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
No keyway? No thank you.
- - Post merged: - -

I have a Schlage lock and the battery lifetime is pathetic. Moreover, reliability is a big problem. Lock often cannot be unlocked when I ask it to.
Odd, my two year old Schlage is still on the first set of AA batteries (about 50% remaining capacity), and has been completely reliable.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Don’t know about that. When someone bumped our bridge out of its socket, HomeKit couldn’t see the lock any longer. I have both an AppleTV 4K, a couple of iPads and a couple of iPhones operating in t
You're confused. The August Lock 3rd Gen is still HomeKit without the bridge: but it's Bluetooth. An Apple TV, HomePod or iPad can be used to talk to it from outside of the home.
The August Bridge is for the remote functionality of the August App, not HomeKit.
Don’t know about that. When someone bumped our bridge out of its socket, HomeKit couldn’t see the lock any longer. I have both an AppleTV 4K, a couple of iPads and a couple of iPhones operating in the house. So their presence alone wasn’t enough. As soon as the bridge was plugged back in, the lock appeared again.

jeremyfernie

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2019

If that's true, then their own support doc is very misleading. Either way, the hub is needed if you want to use the keypad and enable guest users and key codes, etc. So it's nice that the new lock has wifi built-in for this functionality.

Last edited:

KJH

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2018
Don’t know about that. When someone bumped our bridge out of its socket, HomeKit couldn’t see the lock any longer. I have both an AppleTV 4K, a couple of iPads and a couple of iPhones operating in t

Don’t know about that. When someone bumped our bridge out of its socket, HomeKit couldn’t see the lock any longer. I have both an AppleTV 4K, a couple of iPads and a couple of iPhones operating in the house. So their presence alone wasn’t enough. As soon as the bridge was plugged back in, the lock appeared again.
i do not have a bridge and I am able to use HomeKit. The bridge is not required for HomeKit. Your Apple homehub is what bridges the signal. Not sure why yours wasn’t working.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
i do not have a bridge and I am able to use HomeKit. The bridge is not required for HomeKit. Your Apple homehub is what bridges the signal. Not sure why yours wasn’t working.
Perhaps the lock is too far from the devices acting as the hub. The bridge is about 2 meters from the lock, but the AppleTV is around 15m away.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I really can't understand why someone would "hate keys". They're cheap, reliable, simple to use, and work well - and you don't have to worry about any "battery low" message.

But, hey, first-world problems and all that.

Reactions: StyxMaker

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd be concerned about battery life if this new lock is running both Bluetooth and WiFi off of AA batteries. The August Connect was a good idea because it offloaded the WiFi, which uses more power, to a plugged in hub. It would be great if this new August lock could work via HomeKit on Bluetooth alone, communicating with a nearby HomePod, AppleTV or iPad (all of them HomeKit hubs), rather than try to connect via WiFi.

I've typically gotten 4 to 5 months of use out of a set of AAs. Much less than that would be too much of a hassle and could get expensive over time.

Reactions: praetorian909

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
You do not need the bridge for HomeKit to work. You do need the bridge for Alexa or Google Home to work.

After over a year of working flawlessly, I started having connection issues with my bridge. I finally unplugged it and I can confirm was able to remotely lock/unlock my August Smart Lock via HomeKit without the bridge. However, I could not use Alexa anymore.

August ended up sending me a replacement bridge and everything has been working fine since.

ETA: Would be nice if there was an update on the status of the new doorbell cam that was pulled from the market after initial problems.

Reactions: KJH

JosephAW

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2012
Wonder how you take it off to charge it.
Reminds me of a time when I went to ring someone's "ring" doorbell and it was missing so I had to knock. They said it was charging. :confused:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
So much misinformation in this thread. I have two August Smart Lock Pros in my house. One Apple TV is all I’m using as a bridge for both locks. And I can use the August app remotely.
- - Post merged: - -

I'd be concerned about battery life if this new lock is running both Bluetooth and WiFi off of AA batteries. The August Connect was a good idea because it offloaded the WiFi, which uses more power, to a plugged in hub. It would be great if this new August lock could work via HomeKit on Bluetooth alone, communicating with a nearby HomePod, AppleTV or iPad (all of them HomeKit hubs), rather than try to connect via WiFi.

I've typically gotten 4 to 5 months of use out of a set of AAs. Much less than that would be too much of a hassle and could get expensive over time.
I get over a year battery life with the Smart Lock Pro. Prior generations I owned were under half of that. Will be interesting to see what the battery life is on this new model!

Reactions: ipedro and anzio

Braderunner

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Nope. You are incorrect. They already exist.
I like the look of this new lock though. Because of it's smaller size.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Smart lock? Locking at that picture a dumb criminal can just smash the glass, put his hand in, turn the “smart lock” and they are in. Can’t do that with a deadlock!