Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

CES 2021: Kensington's New StudioDock Combines iPad Pro Docking Station With iPhone and AirPods Chargers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of the all-digital CES 2021, accessory maker Kensington today unveiled the StudioDock, an iPad Pro docking station that also includes built-in iPhone and AirPods wireless charging and an optional Apple Watch charger.

A recipient of a CES 2021 Innovation Award, the StudioDock greatly expands an iPad Pro's connectivity options with three USB-A ports, one USB-C port, one HDMI 2.0 port, a 3.5mm headphone jack, an SD card reader, and a Gigabit Ethernet port. The whole setup appears to be powered by a 20V DC power adapter.

11-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and 10.9-inch iPad Air models can be magnetically attached to the dock, and it rotates for both portrait and landscape modes.

Kensington has yet to reveal pricing or availability for the StudioDock, but users can sign up on its website to receive updates.

Article Link: CES 2021: Kensington's New StudioDock Combines iPad Pro Docking Station With iPhone and AirPods Chargers

Reactions: FlyBry

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
If the software catches up in iPadOS this could work well for a lot of people.

If that became the norm, it would be interesting to see where gaming goes, as the gamers are always looking for the highest horsepower machines and iPads are far from that.
I've been trying out some of the streaming services (Stadia, GeForce Now, etc.) with my iPad. While I don't like the subscription aspect, for many people not having to buy and maintain hardware is a positive.

Comment

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
It is fascinating to see where we'll be in a few years. When iPads first came out, I saw them as a consumer fad and waited a few years before purchasing. I still use it mostly to consume and answer emails, but as the computing power increases the issue has always been how to attach the large number of external devices that some of us need on ANY system.

I use my iMac as the cpu engine, but have an 8 bay dock + loads of attached devices to solve my other needs (had various MP models as well over the years). This is one possible evolution of the iPad in that direction. Especially for users who love the power of a "pen" for app input but feel constrained by storage and wireless limitations...

Comment

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think this looks awesome and I love the Ethernet port, although omitting USB-C at this point doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand, after paying for the keyboard and dock, I'd probably prefer having a laptop.

Reactions: aristobrat
Comment

itsmeaustend

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2016
If that became the norm, it would be interesting to see where gaming goes, as the gamers are always looking for the highest horsepower machines and iPads are far from that.
Nintendo was wildly successful with the Switch, which uses a decade old X1. Albeit they have the IPs to carry their awful hardware afloat, something the iPad lacks.

Comment

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2020
Can we just all admit that the market is desperately asking for touch screen MacBooks? Let’s be completely honest with ourselves and stop defending Apple.

Don't see how that's comparable, unless you can remove the screen from the MacBook and use it as a tablet, which is ... an iPad.

Touchscreen MacBooks might happen one day, but it's a niche use-case and not very ergonomic. The Kensington dock above is to be used with a mouse and a keyboard it seems; interacting with it using your finger looks like it'd be really uncomfortable.

Reactions: FWRLCK
Comment

dmylrea

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2005
I just can't use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work. I've tried. It's very frustrating to have worked on something and try to multi-task to another app to copy/paste info or something, and then go back to the 1st app and find out it's completely lost your place or has started all over again.

I'm not blaming Apple...I'm sure it's the app, but regardless I have a real problem switching apps and having the apps stay right where I left them when I switched focus and then come back. Not really work-related, but IG is perfect proof. I get way down my list of posts, switch to another app for a moment to do something and switch back and I'm back at the top again. Frustrating.

Comment

mazz0

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
An interesting step on the option of using iPads as laptop replacements...
I wish, but it's the software holding iPad back, that and the lack of RAM. I love my iPad Pro, and it has the most powerful CPU of any computer I own, but I'm fed up with it closing games when I pause them to some other things, and actually selecting app windows is a horrible experience (I've shown my mum how to do it many times but she still doesn't get it).

Comment

mazz0

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I just can't use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work. I've tried. It's very frustrating to have worked on something and try to multi-task to another app to copy/paste info or something, and then go back to the 1st app and find out it's completely lost your place or has started all over again.

I'm not blaming Apple...I'm sure it's the app, but regardless I have a real problem switching apps and having the apps stay right where I left them when I switched focus and then come back. Not really work-related, but IG is perfect proof. I get way down my list of posts, switch to another app for a moment to do something and switch back and I'm back at the top again. Frustrating.
No, it's Apple.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.