Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin's Linksys brand today announced the launch of the Linksys AXE8400 Wi-Fi 6E Mesh System that takes advantage of the 6GHz band to provide more bandwidth to consumers for faster networks and better reliability.

linksys-wifi-6e-2.jpg

The Linksys AXE8400 uses Qualcomm's Networking Pro 1210 platform to offer speeds that Linksys says are 2x faster than competing routers. According to Linksys, it is an ideal choice for homes that use up a lot of bandwidth as it can support multiple simultaneous activities for those who learn, work, and live all in one place.

The new Linksys system is certified with the Wi-Fi Alliance and the FCC, and it has tri-band capabilities, supporting 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz, plus there's a 5Gb/s WAN port. There are four Gigabit LAN ports and a single USB 3.0 port for hardware connections.

The Linksys AXE8400 is able to cover up to 3,000 square feet per node and can handle up to 65 connected devices all sharing the same bandwidth. It is compatible with other Linksys Intelligent Mesh products and can support smart devices that are 6E-certified and those that are not.

linksys-6e-wifi-1.jpg

Linksys will begin selling the AXE8400 starting in the Spring or Summer of 2021, and it will be priced at $449 for a single node, $849.99 for a two node setup, and $1,199.99 for a three node setup.

Alongside the Linksys AXE8400, Linksys is today also introducing the next-generation version of Linksys Aware, its motion sensing technology that works with third-party Wi-Fi connected devices like Wemo smart plugs and Belkin smart speakers to expand motion-sensing coverage capabilities.

With the Linksys aware technology, existing smart devices serve as points of communication for greater motion sensing range. Features include motion alerts viewable in the Linksys app when activity is detected, customizable motion sensitivity levels, and a live graph to show real-time and historical motion data throughout the home.

The Linksys Aware update will be available in the Linksys app in March or April of 2021. After a 90-day free trial, it is priced at $2.99 per month or $24.99 per year.

Article Link: CES 2021: Linksys Debuts Wi-Fi 6E Tri-Band Mesh System

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Wow, that's pricey! I've had occasional hiccups with our Wi-Fi 5 Velop 3 node setup but am curious if 6/6e would fix any of the issues. Might have to wait for prices to come down first though.
Yeah, I bet the prices will come down quick when basically nobody buys them.

Strategy: get $1200 from the few people willing to spend that, then quickly halve the price.

Reactions: ajfahey and tonyr6

PabloM

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
There‘s only a couple of WiFi6e clients available now. No devices yet and probably at least six months until you see any you can buy. Until manufacturers start installing wifi6e hardware in devices no need to upgrade yet. Linksys is insanely overpriced for what they offer.

Reactions: Black Magic

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Yeah, I bet the prices will come down quick when basically nobody buys them.

Strategy: get $1200 from the few people willing to spend that, then quickly halve the price.
Their regular Wi-Fi 6 models are equally crazy expensive, and they never go on sale.

I can actually spend money on a single node as long as I can use it as my main router paired with my existing Wi-Fi 5 Velop nodes. I will certainly not that price for more than one of these.

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Other than a houseful of people watching youtube 8k videos, how much bandwidth is actually needed? It seems coverage is more important than bandwidth. Prices on this are insanely high.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'll be rockin' my Eero system for a while... an Eero Pro base station and an Eero Beacon.

WIFI 5 too... keepin' it old skool...

:p

Reactions: Oli20

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
Does it have a dedicated backhaul between hubs or is it another “mesh” router system that halves bandwidth per unit.

Reactions: motulist

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
Did not notice the e, standard bumps for the win. Although wouldn't the 6ghz limit the backhaul max distance between hubs?
Honestly not sure. The only things i've seen advertised are same max speeds as 5ghz and less congestion.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I outfitted my Appartement with Ubiquiti gear for quite a bit less than $1200

1 Unifi AC Pro
1 Unifi USW 150 Watt
1 Unifi USW 80 Watt
1 Unifi Cloudkey controller
2 Unifi Flex Mini
1 Unifi USG 3 Security gateway
Cabling + Wall outlets

Capable of more than 200 connected clients

Bought from EuroDK, cheaper than locally.

Linksys, nope, I won't ever spend money on that overpriced rubbish.
Same goes for a lot of commercial, non pro/semipro brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Scrip

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I outfitted my Appartement with Ubiquiti gear for quite a bit less than $1200

1 Unifi AC Pro
1 Unifi USW 150 Watt
1 Unifi USW 80 Watt
1 Unifi Cloudkey controller
2 Unifi Flex Mini
1 Unifi USG 3 Security gateway
Cabling + Wall outlets

Capable of more than 200 connected clients

Bought from EuroDK, cheaper than locally.

Linksys, nope, I won't ever spend money on that overpriced rubbish.
Same goes for a lot of commercial, non pro/semipro brands.
Don’t kid yourself. USG3 is a joke that can’t even push 1 Gbps. UniFi Flex Mini is 2x2 and has no 6GHz. What does the Cloud Key do? Oh yeah, it gives you GUI access.

That’s not even close to what this system provides. And don’t start with Ubiquiti being “enterprise grade” because it’s not. It’s barely in the prosumer category with all of the limitations. As for your US 150W POE switch, make sure you have a sprinkler next to it. They all burn out within a couple years. I am subscribed to that thread and receive a notification of another one going up in flames several times per week.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: chikorita157

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Don’t kid yourself. USG3 is a joke that can’t even push 1 Gbps. UniFi Flex Mini is 2x2 and has no 6GHz. That’s not even close.
Wasn't even saying that, those Unifi flex are just for wired connections (Tv/settopbox,AppleTV), the USG does not need to push 1 Gbps, my config works on a ~1Gb fiber connection, Up/down about 850 Mb/s.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Yikes, $1200 for 3 nodes. Looks like we’re a couple years away.

$500-$600 for 3 is the sweet spot.
I'm going to run Cat 6a in my house. Every time I buy a new WiFi system, 3 years later, some combination of the need for more band width for evolving use cases and neighborhood interference as neighbors adopt similar tech results in needing to buy another WiFi system to compensate for it. 6a will help me get and keep ahead of it long enough for my next household move. I will continue to use WiFi but limit it to tying mobile wireless devices to my internet connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.