Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It doesn't have Thread but we're about to fully renovate a house and I think this is what we're going to go with. We have traditional HomeKit Schlage locks now and they're fine but to have the key support will be awesome.

As you're going to fully renovate your home, and if it should be the case you're not fully happy with HomeKit... Have you considered a step up with, say, Indigo Domotics running on a Mac Mini?

Reactions: adamjackson

iWeaverOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2021
Colorado
Nice! Does anyone know if there's any other locks that support Home Key? I was hoping August would have an announcement by now but haven't seen anything yet.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nice! Does anyone know if there's any other locks that support Home Key? I was hoping August would have an announcement by now but haven't seen anything yet.

Article mentions this lock is the first in North America to support Home Key, so I'm guessing they're probably it for now.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
No, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone else announces one during CES. I’m hoping Kwikset announces one soon so I can rekey it to match all the other locks I already have and replace my annoyingly slow Kēvo lock from them

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
“Hey Siri open the front door”
-I'm working on it
5 minutes later:
-I'm still on it...

Siri has been noticeably slower under iOS 15, in my experience. What used to be instant now results in the "working on it" animation. Very bizarre. I wonder how widespread that is, and if Apple is aware of it?

I want a commercial version of a lock for my store. Needs to be narrower to fit on the metal upright of the glass door.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
How is the battery life on those? and do they support IFTTT (doesn't look like it from the looks on the website)
I use rechargeable AA’s and I’ve had to recharge them twice in 6 years. I mainly enter and exit my home through my garage though. The front door is mainly used for collecting deliveries and the occasional visitor.

Reactions: svenning

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
It doesn't have Thread but we're about to fully renovate a house and I think this is what we're going to go with. We have traditional HomeKit Schlage locks now and they're fine but to have the key support will be awesome.

back of the house will be a room for rent and we can share keys with people who book it on AirBNB. It's going to be awesome. no more codes!
According to The Verge, the new lock will be Thread-powered

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
These smart locks always remind me of Ubik by Philip K Dick...

“The door refused to open. It said, “Five cents, please.”
He searched his pockets. No more coins; nothing. “I’ll pay you tomorrow,” he told the door. Again he tried the knob. Again it remained locked tight. “What I pay you,” he informed it, “is in the nature of a gratuity; I don’t have to pay you.”
“I think otherwise,” the door said. “Look in the purchase contract you signed when you bought this conapt.”
In his desk drawer he found the contract; since signing it he had found it necessary to refer to the document many times. Sure enough; payment to his door for opening and shutting constituted a mandatory fee. Not a tip.
“You discover I’m right,” the door said. It sounded smug.
From the drawer beside the sink Joe Chip got a stainless steel knife; with it he began systematically to unscrew the bolt assembly of his apt’s money-gulping door.
“I’ll sue you,” the door said as the first screw fell out.
Joe Chip said, “I’ve never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it.”

Reactions: dysamoria

RationalEgo

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2018

back of the house will be a room for rent and we can share keys with people who book it on AirBNB. It's going to be awesome. no more codes!

It does have Thread....

JustSomebody12

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2020
Does anyone know if UWB is part of the initial HomeKey spec options Apple supports?
I don't think that's the problem (UWB was added to CarKey after the initial release through a software update).

the problem is the hardware compatibility: in the current iPhone line-up only the SE lacks of the UWB chip (and they will probabily release a new SE in the next months) and it's starting to appear on the Apple Watches, but I don't think homeKit door locks will be so fast to catch up.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I wish the current Yale/August locks were upgradeable to this. At $300 per lock, it is not easy to justify an upgrade.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
As you're going to fully renovate your home, and if it should be the case you're not fully happy with HomeKit... Have you considered a step up with, say, Indigo Domotics running on a Mac Mini?
I'll look into it. This is a full gut of the house (we did the same thing about 6 years ago to another place) and so we have the full Unify Get-up, Cat 6 to every room, whole home audio and HomeKit everything. Since our home has HomePods and AppleTVs and good WiFi, we've had zero issues with HomeKit that other people do. It all just works. I don't really want to maintain a new system so I'll give Domotics a look but will probably just keep it simple. The only thing I'd change for our next home is skip Hue bulbs and go Lutron for everything.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
“Hey Siri open the front door”
-I'm working on it
5 minutes later:
-I'm still on it...
You have defective equipment. I have no issues unlocking my door with Siri. And it happens very quickly. Have you reset your phone and lock? Give it a try.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Nice, I didn't catch that the first time. thanks!
The MR article only talks about NFC and Wi-Fi, but there’s a quote from Schlage in the article of The Verge that also states it will be Matter-compatible: "The Thread radio supports HomeKit over Thread specifically, says Beene, and is Schlage’s first Thread-enabled product. The company is closely watching the developing Matter smart home standard, too. “The hardware is here for Matter,” he says."

ContactlessWiki

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2022
USA
@JustSomebody12
Assa Abloy (Yale, August) already announced that they're working on UWB locks, which would allow you to keep your phone in your pocket to unlock. So you might want to wait for their products. Also Schlage locks are extremely loud, or at least the original Encode was.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I'll look into it. This is a full gut of the house (we did the same thing about 6 years ago to another place) and so we have the full Unify Get-up, Cat 6 to every room, whole home audio and HomeKit everything. Since our home has HomePods and AppleTVs and good WiFi, we've had zero issues with HomeKit that other people do. It all just works. I don't really want to maintain a new system so I'll give Domotics a look but will probably just keep it simple. The only thing I'd change for our next home is skip Hue bulbs and go Lutron for everything.

Sounds good. Two years ago we did something similar building a house and I wired up every room for ethernet and coax. So easy before the sheetrock goes up! Also went with Unifi router, switches and APs - they've been rock solid and couldn't be more pleased. A few years prior to that at our previous house I went with Indigo and a Mac Mini controlling motion sensors, dimmers/switches/outlets/remote switches/etc via Z-Wave. So... I went went with that in our new place. I like the programability/flexibility and robustness with Indigo. There's a ton of reasonably priced Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus devices out there and they just work. The dedicated Mac Mini controlling everything has been working flawlessly 24/7, too.

Worth a look!

iPrabhu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Strange case, for a targeted attack...Tesla Model 3/Y owner has this deadbolt. Thief steals the phone, get in the car, drives to home address, opens the door (unless there is an authentication to open the door.. similar to Wallet card payments)...Wow.

• Wow
Reactions: jent

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
When they say tap to unlock. they really mean just get your phone REALLY close to the lock correct?

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I have 4 schlages (homekit version) will upgrade a least a couple of them. That watch unlock will be super helpful.

Pinachina

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
MD, USA
I have a August smart lock and I regret the purchase. It's probably faster to take out my keys and unlock it manually than it is to ask siri to unlock the front door. The best case scenarios are that you either get connected to your wifi strong enough to get you in fast and easy, or you disconnect from wifi and open the door. Otherwise, if you're in limbo between wifi and cellular, it'll take a while, sometimes even a second try.

Sharing access requires the other user have the application downloaded and an account created too. Absolute trash. Was hoping for just having Homekit access be the key.

I hope this smart lock is a lot better!

• Wow
Reactions: dysamoria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.