Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Reactions: macsplusmacs

alexroet

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
This shows a major problem in smart home technology. For every other thing I need to integrate in my smart home I need the August (actually Yale) lock. But to get home key I need this. Sure Yale will likely have one soon. But we have so many standards that t are not re standard anymore.
I have (and like) August locks. Hoping they will add Home Key too...

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Strictly speaking, the Sense is bluetooth to whatever you use for a HomeKit hub; in my case it's an AppleTV4K.

If you wish to be picky about wifi vs bluetooth, check out the existing Schlage Encode Smart WiFi lock. 4.7 out of 5.0 across over 11,000 reviews, 93% 4 or 5 star ratings. The announced Plus version adds Homekit support, as well as the NFC stuff, and I'd imagine would provide similar battery life to the existing model.

So while you may not see how any battery is going to keep a WiFi deadbolt running reliably, there's a lot of people who've found the reality to be different.

Oh and as for 9V batteries vs a key - I can keep a spare key hidden somewhere for years without worry of it failing.
Your key opens the door. A 9V battery still requires the passcode. Security risk. Anyone can copy a key.

JohnnyRockets31

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
We have been waiting for this. Love the fact that there is no need for a special hub. This device will be terrific for unlocking the door in the case of an emergency. If you need to have an ambulance come to your home or apartment and you can’t open the door, the emergency crew will break the door down to gain entry. This device is cheap compared to the cost and time of replacing an entry door.

Reactions: macsplusmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.