Chances for Macbook Pro Fall update? Speed, GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Oct 6, 2010.

  1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #1
    Hi everyone, I am probably going to upgrade my current 2008 13" macbook to a new 15" or 17" mbp. Based upon the buyers guide and past fall events/ quiet updates the question is-

    Do you believe a update is near and for what? cpu, gpu




    also- does this past article mean anything
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=999910

    regarding new apple support hires for rumored October launch of product.


    Thanks everyone!
    ( btw, yes I know that there will always be something newer around the corner, yet if that corner is right here.. well thats the point if anything worthwhile may be upgraded)
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    A minor update for MBP is not a reason why Apple would hire new telestaff. That must be something bigger like smaller iPad or iPhone. If you look at the past, Apple usually keeps the same GPUs for two generations so it's not likely that we will see a new GPU anytime soon. As for CPUs, Apple can only offer marginal clock speed updates with new Arrandales (e.g. i7-640M and i5-560M).

    I doubt we will see an update this year. Sandy Bridge is out soon, hopefully Apple waits for that and updates MBPs in early 2011
     
  3. lifeguard90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #3
    if updates do come in 2011, obviously they will. yet early 2011, would it even be a significant jump for gpu. say for example to gain what the imac has in implementing a 1gig gpu for high end mbp?
     
  4. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #4
    according to your reasoning, even if with sandy bridge there's a big possibility that the new macbook pro will have the same 330m GPU, right?

    We have to consider that SB will be yet another brand new architecture with all the problems a brand new architecture brings. Adopting SB Apple will skip the intel tick for the arrandale series, which usually brings stability and further refinements.

    ciao!
     
  5. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    #5
    LOL he remade the same thread again because I told him to do a search about this.
     
  6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #6
    i would hope that apple gets a better gpu, even if its only a small difference.
     
  7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #7
    +1
    I think that they will wait for sandy bridge and update next year..
     
  8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

    MacHamster68

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #8
    will always creep in the shadow of the iMac apple doesn't want anything compete with their iMac,so if it is not called MacPro it wont get equal performance
     
  9. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #9
    i hope so, here in Italy Media Markt sells only for tomorrow 600 MBPs i5 2.4Ghz for 1500Euros instead of 1750Euros, even better than the price i can get with the apple on campus (1600Euros).

    I decided to wait and get the new release with hi-res. I hope the wait will be rewarded with a significant update.

    ciao!
     
  10. Brinkman macrumors 6502

    Brinkman

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    #10
    I really hope they put the new 460m GPU in the next lineup of MBP's
     
  11. lifeguard90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #11
    The 460M Gpu would be great addition. Seeing that macbook air is way over due for refresh to say the least along with todays appleinsider report on supplies draining I think it would be safe to hold of a few weeks for this general notebook update time frame.


    -in regards to the mbp being in the shadows on imac power, that does make sense in deed.
     
  12. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #12
    Within a time frame of two weeks 3 major reseller here in Italy applied good discount on the MB(P) family:

    Bennet is selling the MB for 850€ instead of 999€
    Mondadori is selling the MBP 13'' 2.4Ghz for 999€ instead of 1200€
    Media market will sell the MBP 15'' 2.4Ghz for 1400€ instead of 1750€

    Ok..maybe 3 clues don't make a proof, but can't it be an attempt to sell the remaining stock just in time for an imminent update?

    ciao!
     
  13. Blues003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #13

    Maybe one ofthem started and the other ones are now competing? I'm saying this because there really isn't much to upgrade right now... And the MBP 13'' would be left with an WORSE IGP if it was upgraded now.
     
  14. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #14
    my speculation obviously relies on the fact that, according to the buyer's guide, the life cycle of this revision is coming to an end, even if your consideration is perfectly plausible.

    You have also to take into account that the C2D family has been EOL'd, and their production will stop at the end of the year: how many macbook pro 13'' can apple produce above that threshold?

    We all hope for an update in January with SB, but who knows :S

    ciao!
     
  15. Blues003 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    #15
    That's exactly what I'm taking into consideration. Apple can't supply 8 months of MBPs if during 6 of them, Intel isn't making C2D's. :\
     
  16. Groucho Marx macrumors newbie

    Groucho Marx

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2010
    #16
  17. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #17
    Apple have been known in the past to get stuff earlier than general release. ;)
     
  18. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #18
    but the same Apple has suffered of late supply of Arrandale processors from Intel.
     
  19. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #19
    That's what Apple has done before. Of course there is no guarantee that Apple will continue the pattern but I just mentioned it as it's fairly relevant and possible.

    Issues like what? CPUs don't need drivers or other crap. Nehalem didn't bring any issues nor have any others IIRC. CPU is the most reliable part in your system, I've never heard of CPU failure (unless it was OCed or modified).

    Apple is already using Arrandale in 15" and 17" MBP. Stepping update usually brings the power consumption and heat down a little bit so higher clock parts with same TDP can be sold. I doubt it has anything to do with stability unless you're OCing where stepping makes a huge difference. Stability issues are often, if not always, software related. Updating MBP with the "new" Arrandales wouldn't be an upgrade, it's only 133MHz.
     
  20. robertbrian23 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2010
    #20
    i really hope a new upgrade will come by October/November 2010. I can see that the SB would come around june next year. :p
     
  21. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

    Blu101

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    #21
    Laptop vs desktop performance usually has nothing to do with intentional sabotage by a manufacturer :rolleyes:

    They are simply two different design standards. Laptop design has more of an emphasis on low power consumption and small footprint than desktop design. This usually ensures that desktops are typically stronger than laptops. This is true even on a component level: a desktop i5 processor is not the same as a mobile i5 processor.
     
  22. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #22
    IIRC the 330M uses 23W
    IMO update between (and including) January-March

    I think the MB and MBP will be forced to bump to 2.66GHz before then
     
  23. cili0 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2010
    Location:
    Italy
    #23
    Apple usually likes pattern, but lately Velve is doing good on Mac and maybe Apple will take into account the possibility to push to the next level the gaming experience on mac. About that i' wondering what netkas meant with his post here

    But maybe he refers to desktop GPU.

    i was referreing to hardware bug in general, the ones that can occur when you change architecture (PPC vs. C2D vs. Arrandale)

    So in your opinion the enhancement in performance isn't worth an update. apart from the gain that an update will bring regarding the frequence (+133Mhz) what about Intel saying that Arrandale still have space for a lot of refinements?

    cheers!
     
  24. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #24
    Those are just about drivers and I think all Radeon 6xxxs are listed in that, so impossible to say about specific products.

    133MHz bump is about 5%, that is negligible. I haven't heard abut any other refinements for Arrandale than the minor speed bump that was released couple of week ago. Arrandale is going to be dead soon as Sandy Bridge is out in few months.
     
  25. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2010
    #25
    the newest 15 in mbps out on the market right now are not outdated by any means. If they do release an update in oct. or nov. The gpu will not be changed (it was new in the current gen) The processor will get a very minor speed bump, (.2 ghz or less probably), and it will not include the latest sandy bridge board, but thats just my two cents.

    Basically, you should buy one now, if you want one.
     

Share This Page