Chances of 4G for June 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thales, Jul 17, 2010.

1. thales macrumors member

Hello,

I'm an extremely satisfied 3G owner. I'm debating whether to upgrade to a post-Sept 30 iP4 or wait for a possible iP4G next summer. Since I'm staying with AT&T, and they plan on rolling out 4G in 2011, should I hold out?

2. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

I would.
    By then, for the next release, they will have all the issues worked out regarding antennae, proximity sensor, and glass breakage.

Plus even more features, one assumes.

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Fear not, all those issues will be replaced by others. People must have something to complain about when it comes to Apple products. It's the new church. People need to belong to a group since caveman days, even if that group is a pack of nitpicky spineless whiners.

4. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

Rest assured, there will be NO major antennae issues with the next iPhone.

5. thales thread starter macrumors member

I am assuming that Apple has a September 30th refresh planned in order to address the antenna. If not, then I have very little interest in the iP4. Glass breakage is user-error and proximity issues are software related so I'm not too worried about that.

There is a difference (to me) between fundamental design/hardware problems and software restrictions. When I bought my 3G about two years ago, people were complaining about MMS and copy/paste. Since these were software restrictions, I didn't really care, and my phone now has this missing functionality. But I don't want something with an un-fixable (albeit remediable) hardware flaw.

If iP4 gets an antenna fix in two months, and LTE can't be reasonably assumed for 2011, then I will go for it. So please continue to weigh in on whether or not we will see a 4G iPhone next June :)

6. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

I think the only major change between the iphone 4 and the next generation will be 4g coverage and maybe a couple minor things, like the changes between the 3g and 3gs.. i don't think a major upgrade will show up until 2012

7. thales thread starter macrumors member

I would consider 4G to be a major upgrade. I would be very disappointed if I bought the 4 in October and a 4G came out 8 months later. At the same time, if we won't see 4G next June, I might as well get the 4. Still undecided.

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, it's possible.

But you could end up waiting forever since Apple will update the phone every year, and probably more often then that as the competition between Apple and Android heats up.

Also, unless you live in LA/NY, you probably won't have a 4G network to use.

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Don't expect anywhere close to universal 4G coverage until some time after it's first deployed. 3G will still be sufficient for several more years.

10. thales thread starter macrumors member

I do in fact live in LA, which is why I'm interested. We have no problems with ATT's coverage out here, and I'd love a 4G speed boost.

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well in that case, if you don't plan on buying until October, there will probably be rumors at that point to help steer you towards a decision.

12. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I would wait until a month or so until after the next version is released. That's my plan.

I'll never pre-order, buy early or shortly after launch. I rarely, if ever do and went against my better judgment this time around.

13. Aleksey macrumors newbie

Let's put it this way, new summer = new iPhone

14. thales thread starter macrumors member

That's a given... I just hope there is a new radio in the new phone.

15. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yes, God forbid you drop an extra call per 100 at most.

16. thales thread starter macrumors member

I know the problem is minor. I just think it's silly not to wait for a fix. I love my 3G, I can wait another 2 months for Apple to fix the iP4.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

I heard 4G on Sprint isn't all that compared to 3G. At least right now.

I think "4G" is still a marketing term in its early years the way people look at megapixels for a cameraphone. I will wait for it to be refined and cover more areas. AT&T will likely charge you for more like Sprint did and I expect battery life to take a hit.

I'm content with the current 3G speeds, pricing, and my iP4's batt life. If the next iPhone moves the antenna back to the inside, I expect the battery to get smaller and that won't be pretty being on 4G.

18. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I highly doubt it. AT&T won't have much of anything ready by the time the next iPhone rolls out. Maybe a few test markets, but that's all. When the iPhone 3G came out, 3G was the MAJOR selling point. Its not too much to assume that 4G LTE will be the selling point of the 4G when it comes out. I doubt Apple will tack on much else.

So if AT&T doesn't have adequate coverage, Apple won't include it. Same goes for the rest of the world. Apple won't release a 4G phone until there is substantial coverage.

19. thales thread starter macrumors member

Good points. I'm probably leaning towards the 4 right now.

20. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

or they might include it in the phone but not have it being used until its ready (not too likely but possible). there are only three possibilities, one they include it and not use it, 2 the don't include it, and three they include it. so lets ponder these lol

21. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Apple doesn't really future proof any of their products. Typically they make it just enough of an upgrade that you want it, but not so much as to make it useful enough for 3-5 years down the line.

Seems like it'd be an unnecessary expense to include and not use. But as you said it is possible, just unlikely.

22. thales thread starter macrumors member

I suppose that if the original iphone didn't get a 3G radio, I shouldn't expect the next iphone to get a 4G radio unless AT&T really gets a kick in the butt from verizon and apple.

23. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It doesn't matter. The network is already very fast. If you're so patient you can wait another year, what a few milliseconds?

24. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

i'd buy one. I bought a 3GS last september and sold it unlocked and jailbroken right before WWDC. then bought the iP4 at the half subsidized price of $399. (16gb) and still had some extra cash from my 3GS sale.

In regards to 4G LTE i think theres a good chance we'll see a Verizon iPhone next year. They are starting to roll out their LTE network this fall so hopefully theres enough to get people to buy it. My bet is there next iPhone will be 3G GSM/4G LTE. so AT&T can still have it even though they're rolling out LTE later than VZN. and those who can capitalize on the LTE through VZN will get it. I don't see Apple spending money on a CDMA chip. unless they can get one that has 3G GSM/CDMA and 4G/LTE. Then again 4G probably wont come to the iPhone until 2012 knowing apple. It'll be interesting to see how the AT&T/VZN 'possible' iPhone's work out. a lot of people signed a new 2-yr agreement to AT&T recently.

Yea i hight doubt we'll see a 4G iPhone next year

Here's some info about the 4G future...http://www.engadget.com/photos/verizon-wireless-internal-4g-plans/