Chances of a 64GB iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scat1620, Jun 1, 2011.

1. scat1620 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Not a regular poster here, but I'd like to gauge how likely people think it is that the next iPhone will be released with 64GB of storage memory? I currently have a 32GB 3GS and my contract expires towards the end of 2011, by which time I understand it's likely that the new iPhone will have been released.

I know that no details of a new iPhone (features or release date) have been confirmed by Apple yet, but several posters on MacRumors are making educated (to a greater or lesser extent) guesses as to what we will see in the new iPhone so I'm interested to hear people's opinions about the chances of getting a 64GB storage capacity option with the next model.

I have my 3GS and I'm very happy with what it does, but to be honest I'm more interested in the iPhone for its iPod Touch functionality rather than some of the other features like the camera, screen-size etc. My music collection is pushing my 32GB 3GS to its top capacity lately though, and I'd love to be able to upgrade to a 64GB iPhone when my contract expires later in the year to give me the extra storage space I need. Just to pre-empt people who might suggest smart playlisting/cloud-based storage of my music, or suggest that I take an iPod Touch around with me as well as a smartphone, I like to carry my entire music collection around with me all the time and I work in an area without sufficient internet signal strength or Wi-fi services to make cloud-based services a solution, and I also like the convenience of just carrying round one device that serves as both a music player and a phone, so smart playlisting/cloud-storage and/or a second device aren't really options that I'll want to explore at the end of my contract.

Many thanks for any opinions you have on the prospect of a 64GB iPhone next time round, and if this thread is going over old ground (couldn't find a specific 64GB thread when searching) then please would the Mods merge my post into the appropriate thread?

Cheers!

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I hope there will be a 64GB version. A lot of people want one so hopefully Apple will listen to the consumer and release a 64GB Version :)

3. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I have an iPhone 4, and there are two things that could make me buy the upcoming version and not skip a gen.

1) 64 GB -- between my game apps and music, 32 is laughable. Not even close. I could probably use 128 easily.

2) Optical zoom for the camera. More megapixels isn't enough. Optical zoom is where it's at.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I think it's fairly overdue. I also believe this is the one hardware feature that will tempt me into an upgrade.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

While I don't think it's a 100% sure thing I do feel like it's a good bet. Certainly now that the phone is coming later in the year...that'll help the odds.

6. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

So we're talking about

$199 - 16GB
    $299 - 32GB
    $399 - 64GB

???

Sorry but no. I don't see a lot of phones going for $399. BUT, if it was $199 for a 32 and $299 for a 64GB 5th gen iPhone, with no 16GB option available, we might have something.

7. Qman89 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Optical zoom?!!! Do you want it to be much thicker?! But there is an attachment for that...
    http://gadgetsin.com/uploads/2010/07/portable_iphone_4_telescope_1.jpg

8. Qman89 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oops the mobile forum sux just google "iPhone lens"

9. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The way it has worked in the past is new capacities just replace the old ones at the old price points. So it would be:

$199 - 32GB
    $299 - 64GB

And personally I think it's pretty likely we'll get a 64GB.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I really don't think we will get 64GB for $299. If flash has really dropped that much in price, which I doubt, I think we would have seen a 128GB iPad 2.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'd pay an extra $100 to upgrade from 32GB to 64GB - just to be able to sync all my music to go and still have room for GPS maps and other apps. Over the life of a phone (2 years) that's $1 a week.

Of course I was really hoping for 64GB when the iP4 arrived - so I'm not holding my breath.

12. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Flash drives are still expensive especially 64 gb ones. $399 would be too expensive for an iPhone and as a result we will continue to see 16 and 32 gb versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPad 2 came out in March. The next iPhone will probably come out in September.

That's a whole 6 months difference so I wouldn't base your guesses of one on the other.

14. Tones2 macrumors 65816

As much as I want it, I can almost guarantee that the next version of the iPhone, whatever it's called (4s or 5) will NOT have 64 GB.

There are several reasons for this:

1) NAND flash prices have not gone down over the last year and in fact have come up a little. Thus Apple would have to create a new higher price point, something they have been unwilling to do in this economy.

2) Single chip 64 GB NAND flash chips are still almost non-existent in supply and cost way more than two 32 GB chips. Since the iPhone only supports 1 chip (and no way Apple makes it bigger to support 2 chips), that's further price pressure and a supply that just not currently there.

3) Apple now has iCloud on their brain. Although totally invalid for many reasons, Apple thinks we no longer need a large amount of physical storage.

4) There is not a lot of competative pressure to go to 64 GB, as no other phone has more than 16 GB internally (and most have 4 GB or less). Even though most phones support an additional max of 32 GB on a microSD card (which the consumer has to pay for), there are still no current or upcoming phones that supports 64 GB in total.

I hope I'm totally wrong, but I don't see it happening this year, which totally sucks. :(

Tony

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

With all of the talk about iCloud, I think Apple will use that as an excuse to not introduce a 64GB iPhone.

16. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't think we'll see one. Flash memory is still way too expensive.

17. baconroll macrumors member

Certainly? Is that confirmed then?

18. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I figured it wasn't happening for the reasons you listed, but it's good to see confirmation.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I'm really hoping for a bump in the storage capacity. I've had 16gb and 32gb and i can fill the 32gb easily with music and apps, photos etc.

You can never have enough storage :D

20. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

Compared to the UK thats CHEAP!

£243 for an iPhone, Sim Free iPhone 4's start from £510 which is $835

i am talking sim free iPhones thow

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

It's not coming out until fall, so I don't see why the prices couldn't keep dropping. Besides, we were kind of anticipating a 64GB model last year, and that didn't happen. So yeah, I fully expect to see one in September.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I do agree that prices will continue to drop, but unlike the iPad and iPod Touch, the iPhone only has room for 1 module, rather than 2. So the iPod Touch and iPad are using 2 32GB chips, the next iPhone would need a solo 64GB module which I believe is still too pricey for a $299 price.

23. Appslover macrumors newbie

knowing Apple the chances are 0 LOL!

Stolze Deutsch Android Benutzer!

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Do you know how much it costs? Does anyone? It would help to know. ;)

25. mstrze macrumors 68000

With iCloud, you won't have to store music or videos...they would all stream. Heck, possibly even your purchased Apps...I see no reason why you couldn't pull them from the cloud as needed.

I also highly doubt 64GB is on the near-horizon. iCloud is a good reason (as well as chip cost)...and technically, the iCloud service would automatically give you tons of free extra memory as soon as you start the service...so having a 32GB phone might just about feel like having a 64 or 128GB...since all of your purchased iTunes items would be available to you at any time, on the iPhone. Your only storage needs would be for pictures and self-shot video (Apps if not included in iCloud too I suppose).