Chances of getting the msn 8 beta in march?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kissaragi, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

So its march and Microsoft said we would finally get a beta of Microsoft messenger 8 sometime this month. Personally im not overly confident about it, what does anyone think the chances of them actually releasing it?

Before all the cries of use Adium or AMSN instead start, ive tried both many times before. Adium is ok, but no webcam support and AMSN is an abomination of software design. I actually like messenger for mac and the only features i need from it that it doesn't currently have are webcam and audio support

2. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Im with you... Just playing the waiting game... I wouldnt hold any hope for the beginning of March

3. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

Its not so much march im worried about, more like 2010! Wouldnt put it past them to delay it until 2011.

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I really don't understand why its taken so long.

I remember reading that i'd have webcam support "within a few months" of getting my MacBook Pro. 2 years 5 months on from that, what have we got? A half baked alpha release.

Get on it MS!

5. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

I'm really hopping they do release it in March if not the MacBU is going to be really hated.:mad:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The MacBU could be busy on other stuff at the moment.

There's lots of other messenger apps out there just as good as MSN.

7. wolfie37 macrumors member

Try Mercury, it supports webcam with MSN/Windows Live.

8. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Not "as good as MSN".

Adium = No A/V chat. No Winks. No drawing. No games support. Problems with contact list.
    aMSN = ****** interface. Terrible performance.
    Mercury = SAme as aMSN.
    Trillian = No A/V chat. No Winks. No Drawing. No games support. No custom emoticons. Almost nothing.

They all suck. None of them is good as WLM 2009.

9. rerelease macrumors regular

I gotta say I'm happy with no winks, drawing or custom smileys.

I like Adium because it supports offline messages. I haven't heard that MSN 8 would.

10. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

Because it has been so long since there has been an update to MSN we are almost treating this like it's going to be completed version because we are so desperate for some kind of update. Kind of shows how crap it is but its still better then any of the other applications out there on the Mac.

11. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The dev team for mac messenger are lazyyyyyyyy

12. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

Games would be the only other feature that id like to see in mac msn (as well as av of course). Im not bothered about all the other stuff. I still type my smileys by hand, none of this modern animated rubbish that uses up half the chat window with floating hearts and particle effects.

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  14. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

You will be able to once this Beta comes out, it is only thing they have said they can confirm as being in this Beta so we might get offline messaging too but I highly doubt it unless they add as an extra treat for having to wait so long!

15. kolax macrumors G3

I really wish they'd hurry up too. One of the few reasons I boot up Parallels Desktop really.

16. wolfie37 macrumors member

Rubbish, Mercury is excellent has an adaptable interface and supports Video with those on Windows MSN. MSN for mac is awful, clunky, looks poor and only allows you to chat with others on Windows Live/MSN. Other messengers are much more flexible allowing you to chat with people on different messengers. WLM 2009 is a closed, inflexible, under-featured application.

17. Kissaragi thread starter macrumors 68020

last time i tried mercury it was awful, clunky, looked poor and didnt even work that well with video. Amsn does at least work ok even if it does look and feel terrible.

I think mac msn is a great looking program with a fantastic interface. It does have some bugs and lacks important features, but its the program i enjoy most for chatting.

ichat is also excellent but 99% of the people i talk to use msn.

18. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

If iChat managed to incorporate MSN support :eek: That would be so good! :D If only... I can hopelessly dream though.

19. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Have to agree with this man.

Everything apart from Microsofts Messenger seriously sucks in terms of UI, performance, etc.

aMSN doesn't work properly for me and never has.

If I could I would have ditched Messenger a LONG time ago but after 3 years of conversation logs I think im staying put...

20. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

It's March 2010. Where's MSN Messenger for Mac 8.0?

I've been using MSN Messenger for Mac 7 and it sucks... I've also tried the 8.0 beta and it's really glitchy. On Wikipedia it says that 8.0 was suppose to come out on March 2010 and I've heard nothing. I've tried Adium instead but I came from a PC last month so I'm really use to the MSN Messenger Client. Has anyone else heard any news of 8.0 to come out soon?

21. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Well..... March is only 1/2 over... and if you know anything about m$, it's that their dates are never in stone.

22. wolfie37 macrumors member

Well I will stick with Mercury, it's UI takes up far less screen space than MS Messenger, it is much more adaptable, it allows me to chat with friends on a series of different IM apps. It allows me to cam with friends on MSN as well as other IM apps.

I'd rather have performance, flexibility and features than stick with an outdated, poorly supported app such as MSN. Let's face it MS obviously don't care about it so why should I.

23. G-Force macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I don't agree with that statement. Messenger for Mac's interface is in my opinion a space waste, it looks dated, ugly and it just doesn't look like a proper Mac application. And the bugs, most of the time I can't even select an avatar, Messenger in it's current state is a complete and utter joke if you ask me... I'm pretty sure the new Messenger will have a brand new Cocoa interface, I don't think even Microsoft wants to continue with the current old interface. They certainly had enough time to create a new Messenger app from scratch.

24. Seo macrumors regular

There's a work around: http://www.leopardtricks.com/leopard/msn-in-ichat. Works pretty well, but if you have a lot of contacts you'll have to go through every one of them. And it still doesn't support AV chat.

25. mwxiao macrumors regular

Now it's the second half of March. Let's wait for two more weeks.