Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I bought my iPad 2 at launch and it had fairly significant light bleeding around the corners. I think this was a fairly large problem. With the likely double resolution screen in the iPad 3, I imagine the yields will be lower than they were on the iPad 2. What are the chances that there will be significant light bleeding problems with the iPad 3 at launch?

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Chances that I will care at all when my iPad 3 has a little bit of light bleeding?
(Zero percent)

----------

Sorry, that sounded like trolling. Not intentional. I just really can't stand the post-launch complaining about stupid little non-functional issues, and I know this launch will be no different than the rest of them.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Chances that I will care at all when my iPad 3 has a little bit of light bleeding?
(Zero percent)

----------

Sorry, that sounded like trolling. Not intentional. I just really can't stand the post-launch complaining about stupid little non-functional issues, and I know this launch will be no different than the rest of them.

Stupid issues?

Sorry, but I beg to differ. Some of the iPad 2 had TERRIBLE bleeding issues. Im talking to the point where when you watched a movie on Netflix, the black letterbox bars were almost filled with yellow.

How is that a minor issue? Thats ******** imo.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
*Someone* will immediately go sit in a dark closet with a blank dark screen at 100% brightness and start a LightLeakGate thread. Mark my words. :)

As to how often there will be a real issue in normal usage, that's impossible to say. If it's a big deal to you then the best best is sit back for a couple months to let any early production issues get worked out. If it isn't, then get one and if you have a problem get it fixed in a couple months.

Last edited:

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
*Someone* will immediately go sit in a dark closet with a blank dark screen at 100% brightness and start a LightLeakGate thread. Mark my words. :)

^This is a different story.

But when light leaks are ridiculously visible in normal viewing conditions, it becomes a problem.

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Stupid issues?

Sorry, but I beg to differ. Some of the iPad 2 had TERRIBLE bleeding issues. Im talking to the point where when you watched a movie on Netflix, the black letterbox bars were almost filled with yellow.

How is that a minor issue? Thats ******** imo.

Alright, that's fair. But you have to admit that a LARGE portion of the people complaining about light bleeding / yellow screens / etc. don't see anything remotely close to that kind of severity.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
OP has a valid question. Some of the iPad 2's had criminal amounts of light bleed....others didn't.

We will not know until they start to show up in people's hands. I am hoping the new rumored "dual lightbar" design of the LCD minimizes the issue.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Alright, that's fair. But you have to admit that a LARGE portion of the people complaining about light bleeding / yellow screens / etc. don't see anything remotely close to that kind of severity.

Like I posted, when people sit in a dark room to try and find it, it becomes ridiculous.

But on the iPad 2s that I owned, the light bleed was criminal even in normal lighting conditions. So much so that I returned it and have waited a full year for the 3.

Will light bleed make me not get the 3? Probably not because I have waited so long. But I hope some of the more extreme cases are resolved.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
But when light leaks are ridiculously visible in normal viewing conditions, it becomes a problem.

Agreed. It's shame you didn't get a replacement ipad2, it hasn't seemed that many of them suffered from a real problem with light bleed once you ignored the OCD folks sitting in their dark closets.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I bought my iPad 2 at launch and it had fairly significant light bleeding around the corners. I think this was a fairly large problem. With the likely double resolution screen in the iPad 3, I imagine the yields will be lower than they were on the iPad 2. What are the chances that there will be significant light bleeding problems with the iPad 3 at launch?

Supposedly last time around it was down to the glue in the iPad 2 screen not having dried properly.

Having said that it will only be a problem for you if you enjoy staring at a black screen in the dark.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
i bought my ipad 2 at launch and it had fairly significant light bleeding around the corners. I think this was a fairly large problem. With the likely double resolution screen in the ipad 3, i imagine the yields will be lower than they were on the ipad 2. What are the chances that there will be significant light bleeding problems with the ipad 3 at launch?

100%

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
lower chance than a yellow screen due to glue not completely drying.:D

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
As I was one of the people to have a lot of backlight bleeding on my first iPad (when I got my 3G one over the summer it was fine) I am really hoping it doesn't, but you never know, I guess we will know soon enough, but for the most part I think it's been fixed

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
My iPad 2 has a tiny amount of light bleed on the edge, but I never notice it under normal use. It's not something that concerns me.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
chances that the new screen will have minor light defects - 1%
chances that the MR forums will be flooded with screen complaints - 100%
:p

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Q: What do you call someone who insists that the light bleed is not a big deal when Apple themselves admitted that there was a problem with light bleed on the iPad 2?

In spite of many, many people dismissing complaints about light bleeds, months after the iPad 2 launch, Apple grudgingly acknowledged that there were light bleed issues, after-the-fact when they announced that they would be using Samsung LCD panels that would address the issue.

Light bleed issues with iPad screens actually do exist. (and NOT limited to extreme boundary conditions) Just accept that manufacturing defects exist in Apple products rather than invalidating the actual experience of other customers.

Why do you feel the need to disparage somebody to defend Apple? Are you on their payroll? Are you a stockholder? :confused:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
"Light Bleed" appears to be one of those issues that has variable consequences depending on the user. It isn't as absolute as a cracked screen or a dead pixel, for example.

Try some out in the store and decide for yourself. It seems each person has their own threshold for what constitutes an acceptable amount of bleed vs. not acceptable.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
This is why I am waiting to buy one, new screens can have issues I'm waiting a few months till the issues shake out

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Light bleeding is why so many people on CL are selling "new" iPads. It wasn't a big deal for them and they could live with it but they knew they could get an exchange at the Genius Bar for it.

I got mine exchanged. I had 3 corners suffering from the issue and my exchange was flawless. Definitely worth going to genius bar for.

----------

This is why I am waiting to buy one, new screens can have issues I'm waiting a few months till the issues shake out

You have a year warranty. You can go the store and get any problem fixed. If there was no store nearby and I knew I had to mail in the iPad for any problems, I'd be more hesitant to buy one on launch.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Care to share the quote from Apple where they admitted that there was a light bleed problem?
The original articles were posted 7 months ago and were common knowledge to those who were interested in the iPad 2 screen issues. But spending 10 seconds on Google offered a variety of links to articles.....

Here's just one: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08...ng-after-lgs-ipad-2-panels-experience-issues/

If that article is not definitive enough for you then you can spend a little more time to find Apple's press release.

notjustgc

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Why do you feel the need to disparage somebody to defend Apple? Are you on their payroll? Are you a stockholder? :confused:

(Emphasis added)

This is actually a remarkably compelling question. I feel like if we were all following the strictest moral standards here, we'd have to disclose that kind of information in our profile, with a little icon under our name by every post.

No sarcasm - because yes, I am a shareholder, and I guess to some extent my vested interest in seeing Apple succeed would inevitably be a psychologically influential bias.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
The original articles were posted 7 months ago and were common knowledge to those who were interested in the iPad 2 screen issues. But spending 10 seconds on Google offered a variety of links to articles.....

Here's just one: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/08...ng-after-lgs-ipad-2-panels-experience-issues/

If that article is not definitive enough for you then you can spend a little more time to find Apple's press release.

Shorter version: "I can't defend my own argument, so please do my homework for me."

Also, that article said that Apple changed suppliers because of (1) yield rates and (2) after drop tests there were backlight problems. No admission by Apple, nothing about light leak at the consumer level.

sracer can't show where in that article there's an admission by Apple that there is a light leak problem for the consumer, because there is no such admission there.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
How about we let the product ship before starting these inane threads?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.