Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am planning on getting a 15 inch Matte Macbook Pro when it gets updated.

The one thing that bothers me though, is the black keys.

Is there a way to change them out, either to silver or white? I have an aluminum wireless Apple keyboard, or I would be willing to buy keys from a third party.

Thank you!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
The keys on the wireless keyboard are slightly different than the keys on the MBP. You will need to get a topcase from a unibody white MacBook to make the keys white.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Sounds good... will the backlit keyboard still work?

Kinda ... It will be hard to see

2253001409_ca7c6db70c.jpg

Expect it to look something like this

IMG_0030.jpg

I'd consider just leaving it as is (because of warranty reasons).

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That doesnt look too bad actually... I can always just put the keys back if i need to bring it to an apple store.

Do you think it might be possible to spraypaint the original black keys silver while somehow keeping the letters?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That doesnt look too bad actually... I can always just put the keys back if i need to bring it to an apple store.

Do you think it might be possible to spraypaint the original black keys silver while somehow keeping the letters?

No.
And if you spray paint it, you can't revert it back to black ;)

Just curious, what don't you like about the black keys? :confused:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Since I am getting a Matte, the only real thing besides the tiny border around the bezel is black, so the black keys look really out of place... I used to have a non-unibody macbook pro and I actually prefer the look of that design more since it's all one color. Where would get all the white macbook keys at once? All the ebay sales are only selling separate keys.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Maybe consider one of those "colorful" silicon keyboard covers? :confused: Those do come in white or silver... :)

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Swapping on the keys will void your warranty. Something to consider if you ever need to bring it in for AppleCare servicing. Any reason why you can't live with a silicone keyboard cover ($5 solution), or a wireless keyboard ($69 solution)?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Swapping on the keys will void your warranty. Something to consider if you ever need to bring it in for AppleCare servicing. Any reason why you can't live with a silicone keyboard cover ($5 solution), or a wireless keyboard ($69 solution)?
.... or living with the black keys (free solution).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.