Changes from developer version to consumer version

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ajvizzgamer101, Jul 14, 2011.

1. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I know there will probably not be added features but will there a bug clean up from now to the consumer release? I got some bugs that I am hoping will be fixed in consumer release.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There may be another GM release, but it's doubtful at this point. The GM will be the consumer version.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

As has been stated many, many times, if apple does not release a new GM, the retail version will be the same. There is always bugs in a 10.x.0 release. Hopefully they will be fixed in 10.7.1, 10.7.2 etc.

4. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

I have my doubts that there will be another GM, for two reasons. Firstly, history. Apple has NEVER released another GM except for iOS 4.2, which is a different team from OSX anyway. Secondly, and more importantly, I have to imagine that Apple has been loading up the new Airs in production with the GM for the last week or so. I have a hard time believing that Apple would release ANOTHER GM that they'd then have to go back and put on all those machines again. More likely is that Apple are already working on 10.7.1, which will probably be released within the first week or two after Lion/new Airs hit retail.

5. RJCP macrumors 6502

ABsolutely no chance Apple will release another GM at this point. Having already asked developers to submit their apps, that means the apps will be optimized for the current Lion build. I do believe we'll see 10.7.1 less than a month after the release of .0

6. ajvizzgamer101 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good point, never though about that. Thanks :)

7. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

GM is GM. And it always has been, despite the disbelief amongst the Cult of Mac, the OS 10.X.0 release is always equivalent to the final developer's release.

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There is no such thing as a "GM 2."

That will be 10.7.1.

If you have a developer account, you already have the full release of Lion. Consumers will get the same build later this month.

9. juuuice macrumors newbie

anything is possible.. if they found a bug that lead to data loss during setup or some legal/licensing typo they would be pretty hard pressed not to update the release..

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

This.

11. pinchu71 macrumors newbie

golden master

I think it's important to remember that this is the first time the operating system is distributed exclusively via appstore, so it is possible that the final version is different from the golden master

12. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

It's not really just a matter of physical media. It's the apps being developed and finalized for the App Store, it's the OS actually being installed on all the new computers coming out soon. In that respect, the limitations to changing the GM at the last minute are the same as they were with a physical DVD.

13. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

but this time, if they do have to change something, re-making (can't remember the correct term right now) several thousand CDs isn't something they have to do. (or having several thousand useless CDs sitting around somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. buckyballs macrumors regular

Apple won't release another GM build, but the current GM seed won't be the consumer version. They'll release a new build without releasing it to developers first.

15. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If that happened, Lion would not be released in July. A new build would require several weeks for developers to test their apps (and re-submit them to the Mac App Store).

Apple has already started to approve apps built with the GM seed. Therefore, the GM seed is the final seed and will be the same build released to the public.