Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I'm using Apple Maps via CarPlay for integrated vehicle navigation. I've had it since iOS 14.x. It works well, and has been great. However a subtle change introduced in iOS15 seems to be a step-backwards in my opinion. Previously, iOS 14 provided a feature where if you wished to mute the turn-by-turn guidance, you could tap the box in the top-left corner to mute the verbal cues. This was a great feature when you knew your destination, and wanted to mute the verbal interruptions for some period of time. Simply tapping that box again re-enabled the verbal prompts. Since it was on the left-side of the screen, it was easy to reach for vehicles where the drive sits on the left such as in the United States.

In iOS 15, tapping this box no longer mutes turn-by-turn. In order to do-so, you need to tap the screen which reveals a previously-hidden small "speaker-icon" control on the far-right side of the screen. Then you need to tap this small speaker-icon to expand the nested controls collapsed into that icon. From here you can tap an icon to mute turn-by-turn navigation, or there's a second icon which I think may just alert you to warnings, though I haven't explored that option yet.

This is decidedly worse.

Not only does toggling the verbal cues now necessitate at least three taps of the screen, but also size of the touch-surfaces are tiny compared to what the previous implementation provided, and also the screen-location is as far away from the driver as possible. All of these seem like more-dangerous changes for a feature expected to be used while continuing to drive.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change this setting using Siri? I really like almost everything about CarPlay but this is the one change which seems like a huge step backwards.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Makes me glad I use a Garmin GPS!

Apple has really gotten bad about turning a single operation into 3 or 4 over the past few versions. They have lost their way and their common sense. I'm pretty sure Jobs would be kicking a lot of developer butt at Apple if he were still alive. Jobs believed in the age old programming principle of KISS. The current crop of morons at Apple believe in nesting everything a few, or several, layers deep in menus. Maybe if those morons actually used the products they work on, the products would work better.

Hopefully Siri can be used. My Garmin works by voice command, but of course it was designed by people who understand navigation.

Reactions: fastbagger

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The volume setting is not meant to be used while driving. It is typically a one time setting that stays with what you select, even after leaving your vehicle and then getting back in later. Not sure why you would need constant access to a voice setting while routing.

You now have three options; Muted, Alerts Only (great for those that commute and know the roads, but just want alerts versus every turn-by-turn called out) and Normal Turn-By-Turn. Just pick the one you want to use and "set it an forget it." Apple even gives you the option to select "Normal" as your default and then have the option for "Alerts Only" when your route starts so you don't even have to tap the screen for the voice control (it's right there as an option when you select "GO" to start your route).

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Not sure why you would need constant access to a voice setting while routing.

This tends to be when I'm on a longer trip, and I need turn-by-turn navigation for much of it, but for parts of the trip, I know where I'm going, and don't need the continual interruptions to music with directions I already know.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
This tends to be when I'm on a longer trip, and I need turn-by-turn navigation for much of it, but for parts of the trip, I know where I'm going, and don't need the continual interruptions to music with directions I already know.
So, you think that is a common action for the vast majority of users? Or is that a very specific way of using the software that would not necessitate making a complete design change?

Also, if you are unable to easily reach the right-hand side of a touch screen that is supposed to be designed to easily operate/view, I'm guessing that might be a vehicle issue and not a CarPlay issue. The left side is designed to have readable info as close to the user as possible as well as a driving menu for "frequent" interactions like making reports, in-route changes, etc.

Just because you may use the volume control in a different way does not mean the design/location is wrong.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I agree - I often only need voice guidance for a small part of a drive, so I tap to turn it off after I'm on a road I know. Was much easier just to tap the big navigation box and it would easily mute. Now, it's a two step process with a much smaller touch target.

One of the many regressive changes in iOS 15.

Reactions: uptownnyc

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I’m curious how you would make it easier considering they added a third option? I guess it is simple when it is nothing more than “on or off,” but the “alerts only” option being added is something that users of other map apps praised being added to Apple Maps.

Not sure there is a way to make it “one touch” when there is more than one option or another.

I think their option of leaving the guidance on and giving you a one-touch option at the start of routing is about as good as it is going to get for those that want both easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.