Changing icons (Retina & Non Retina).

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Jun 18, 2011.

1. WeegieMac, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Ok, people will no doubt know this, but I didn't so thought I'd post incase someone else is looking for a "solution" to this.

It annoys me having apps that have no high resolution icon artwork. If you look at apps in the App Store on your iPhone, the icons are all high resolution, yet some (like GTA Chinatown Wars & Sonic 4) have low resolution art which looks out of place among the other high resolution icons on the iPhone 4 screen.

I used to use a jailbreak tweak called iRetiner GUI to apply the iTunes high resolution art to the icons, but since I'm no longer jailbroken (and don't particularly wish to be), I was delighted to find that you can simply use the program iPhone Explorer, navigate to the .app folder of the app you want to change the icon for, and replace the icon image as appropriate.

I've changed GTA Chinatown Wars, Geometry Wars, Sonic 4, Lumines, and R-Type which had low resolution icon artwork, as well as changed all the EA titles I own (Dead Space, FIFA, Madden, Woods, NFS, Fight Night) to icons that match the console versions cover art.

I think it looks better, and yeah ..."Cool story, Bro" etc. I just thought some others who didn't know this was possible would appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Icons changed:

Final Fantasy III, GTA, FIFA, Woods, Madden, Fight Night, Dead Space, NFSU, NFS Shift, Hot Pursuit, SF4, Devil May Cry 4.

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Didn't know this. Thanks for the info, will check this out. :D

3. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Yeah, I mean you need to be pretty sad (yup, that's me lol), but all you do is search Google for a good resolution image of the cover/art you want to use.

Then as long as the horizontal & vertical sizes match, you can use them no problem. I just use the Grab keyboard shortcut on OS X and select the area I want to use, making sure to check the pixel count it shows.

The Final Fantasy III one is a personal favourite since the default white block with just the title was a bit boring. I'm also pleased with the EA titles, they came out really well.

And, best of all, no jailbreak needed. Some of the icons are a little sneaky though, in that they're not all called "icon.png". For example, Madden's was called "maddenicon.png" and you also had to replace the "maddenicon@2x.png" as well for the change to take effect. This is because, unlike apps that don't have a Retina Display enabled icon, you have to replace the icon for 3GS resolution and iPhone 4 resolution. Only changing one has no effect. :D

4. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Thanks for that, will have a go later and hopefully succeed. And yeah the EA ones really do look fantastic, they really caught my eye.

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

If you would like my EA ones emailed to you, that wouldn't be a problem. ;)

6. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

7. WeegieMac, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

I love the retro games from SEGA, the Mega-Drive was one of my favourite consoles, but SEGA's choice of artwork was rotten. Streets of Rage didn't have a high resolution icon, and Streets of Rage 2 & 3 did, but they were awful close-in artwork, and the games looked inconsistent on the iPhone. The same goes for Sonic 1 & Sonic 2, both have low resolution icons.

Well, after some digging around the internet, I obtained artwork from the Mega-Drive original console packaging, and this is the result:

[​IMG]

How they looked before the change with stock icons:

[​IMG]

Sonic 4, Lumines, and Geometry Wars have also received high resolution artwork identical to their originals.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

They look great WeegieMac. I'll be giving this a go later most definitely.

Those original streets of rage logos do look awful.

9. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

I have a ZIP file with all the icons needed along with instructions, waiting to be sent to anyone who wishes them. :)

10. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Those look great. And you're not jailbroken?

I might've done this when I played a bunch of games on my phone. Now it's kind of useless to me, but very cool nonetheless.

11. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Not jailbroken mate, back on stock 4.3.3 after a full restore and setting up as a new phone. I was on iOS 5 Beta 1 previously, but I'll wait for Beta 2 before considering using iOS 5 exclusively I think.

All you need is iPhone Explorer and a bit of patience. :)

Thankfully, since I've sourced most of the icons above and cut them from artwork online, etc I've got a file here ready to send people if need be. I'll just add to it as I do more titles.

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Did you make all those yourself?

It really annoys me that EA always puts that silver border around their apps. Also the Sonic 2 icon looks great, one of my favorite past time games.

13. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Yup, basically I searched the web for artwork of decent resolution, then used the OS X keyboard shortcut to activate grab, and selected the area I wanted, ensuring that both horizontal and vertical pixels were identical. There's no limit on how big the image is, the largest one was 565 x 565 (Streets of Rage 2 I think), but iOS just resizes the image into the icon dimensions. You also don't need to worry about the rounded edges, as again you simply upload the image and iOS does the rest.

Infinity Blade, Real Racing 2, Ridge Racer, and FM 2011 are the only ones on the first screen which are stock.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iRetiner GUI just uses the iTunes artwork for the icons so what really gets me is that the devs don't even take the minute to update the icon. Pathetic really.

Nice to see that you can change them on a non jailbroken iDevice though. Great work.

15. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Can you give a step by step explanation? :)

When I try to open a folder, it says "File or directory not found"

16. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

17. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Awesome thread. Definitely worthy of a thumbs up.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nice find.
    I personally couldn't be bothered switching the icons but its nice to know there is a solution

19. ESPN macrumors regular

Hey

Is it possible if you can send me all of your icons especially your EA icons to me in a private messages?

Thanks in advance. :D